Thread: Match up Help

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Blake

Default Match up Help

Ahoy Maties!
    I am up for holding a demo game for our FLGS. I am looking at 4 players per side, one ship each. My problem is what ships would match up?

Here are the ships I currently have, I can buy more ships (who needs an excuse?) to do reasonable matched ship battles.

Fougueux 1785 / Redoutable 1791
    La Concorde 1777 / Junon 1778
    Courageuse 1778 / Unite 1787
    Sibylle 1791 / Carmagnole 1793
    Genereux 1785 / Aquilon 1789
    Fougueux 1785 / Redoutable 1791

Meleager 1785 / Terpsichore 1785
    Defence 1763 / Vanguard 1787
    Defiance 1783 / Bellerophon 1786

Another question, would the same ship ever be in the same battle? Example would the Meleager and Terpsichore ever be in the same battle and would warrant me to buy that ship again?

Thanks for the help!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'd suggest another British frigate and then play with two 32 gun ships and two 74 gun ships to each side. They are well enough matched.

If you get another 74 for the British I think it would be less fun to be the only frigate to a side. There's only one target you can aim for to get by yourself. With the 2 of each you can hunt the enemy frigates or help out you ships of the line.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

And I forgot...

Yes, some ships were at the same battle like Defence and Vanguard were both at the Nile.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I agree with Jonas, two of each class would enable players options during game play. I wouldn't be too concerned with whether having two of the same ship being a problem. Once the game begins, folks won't pay much attention, if they care at all. What is most important, in my opinion, is an interesting scenario and set up. Instead of a four-on-four with last ship standing, some type of goal for each side energizes each team.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

An even match up.
    Name:  ships-painting_00435984.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  192.2 KB
    2 Turkish SoL,s
    1 Russian Frigate

Taken right before the Turkish surrender.
    Last edited by Gunner; 10-19-2015 at 21:39.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Couldn't go wrong taking some of your missions from Origins Eric. Adapt them to what ships he has and Bob's your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I agree with Jonas, two of each class would enable players options during game play. I wouldn't be too concerned with whether having two of the same ship being a problem. Once the game begins, folks won't pay much attention, if they care at all. What is most important, in my opinion, is an interesting scenario and set up. Instead of a four-on-four with last ship standing, some type of goal for each side energizes each team.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Ares Games has published a points value table to give an idea of the fighting strengths of different ships. It may be downloaded from http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games