Thread: How One Hobby Supplants Another

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default How One Hobby Supplants Another

I was asked by Rob to show some shots of my N scale model railroad layout, which these days is covered in Sails of Glory or other ship related hobby materials. In fact, the layout hasn't really been operational for several years. This is something I should remedy, but it's taken a back seat to other gaming and hobby interests. It should be mentioned that this layout was the creation of one of our club members who passed away years ago (Jack Hildebrandt). I purchased it from his wife who I suspect would have sent it straight to the dumpster. I still attend our club shows in Milwaukee and Madison, but home efforts are pretty much on hold. There is a very old video of the layout on YouTube if you're really interested? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQKUO_BcnE (old camera, bad focus)

Layout in 2010
    Name:  060.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  178.0 KB

Layout in 2010
    Name:  049.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  178.7 KB

Layout in 2011
    Name:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  181.1 KB

Layout in 2015
    To be added. . .
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that Jim.
    I hope you get time to work on it sometime. It certainly has possibilities.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

Very nice .

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Thank you for saving this wonderful train layout from the trash bin Jim.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nice looking models.

"How One Hobby Supplants Another" funny how that works Jim. It keeps the mind working and entertained.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    "How One Hobby Supplants Another" funny how that works Jim. It keeps the mind working and entertained.
    It does indeed, although at times I feel somewhat like a pinball bouncing around from hobby to hobby. As long as I don't go 'Tilt' it's all good.
    –English Proverb

Jim that layout would make a fine wargame terrain for any period from probably WW2 onwards. Looks like 15mm would be the right scale. Could be a way to supplant a new hobby with an old hobby re-imagined You could even leave the trains deployed!

It might also be used with wings of glory WW2 with some tinkering. Nothing like flying between the train sheds...but you might need to move the big boat
    Last edited by Berthier; 08-11-2015 at 06:15.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Jim that layout would make a fine wargame terrain for any period from probably WW2 onwards. Looks like 15mm would be the right scale. Could be a way to supplant a new hobby with an old hobby re-imagined You could even leave the trains deployed!

It might also be used with wings of glory WW2 with some tinkering. Nothing like flying between the train sheds...but you might need to move the big boat
    Yes, that ship does rather dominate the entire end of the layout.

Thanks for the suggestions by the way. I have used the layout as a backdrop for several photo shoots; primarily Battletech repaints when I played the Wizkids Mechwarrior game. If I can continue the downsizing of stuff I may yet get back to working on the railroad?
    –English Proverb

Nice layout (minus RMS Titanic of course!) Is that the SP Daylight Limited I see steaming into view?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Nice layout (minus RMS Titanic of course!) Is that the SP Daylight Limited I see steaming into view?
    Thanks. The Titanic was actually going to go into a set of 3 NTrak modules for railroad shows, but the carpenter has so many orders that the project is on indefinite hold. The RC model is 1/150 and N Scale is 1/160 so the scale would have been close enough for shows, etc. While we have larger ships than the Titanic plying the waters today I don't think most folks realize just how big she was.

Yes, indeed. That's the Kato SP Daylight Limited. Most of the folks in our club prefer the long cargo consists while I favor the passenger trains, especially steam passenger trains.

If you want to see her running at a show skip to the 2:50 and 4:30 minute marks of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGnJM3K3dN4
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 08-11-2015 at 14:33. Reason: added content
    –English Proverb

Thanks. Steam and passenger consists

Years ago I bought my son a wooden track set that Lionel put out with the Daylight. It even came with a kids adventure storybook based on the train.