Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    Surreal, man!
    No it's only a cartoon figure Richard.
    Rob.

Something from the Aerodrome:

There is more than one s*** (are four letter words allowed on this forum?) in the production process now as a third series, and a fourth being designed. Plus some other little expansions for S***s of Glory. Even if no painted prototypes were ready for the show yet...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...099#post377099

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Something from the Aerodrome:

There is more than one s*** (are four letter words allowed on this forum?) in the production process now as a third series, and a fourth being designed. Plus some other little expansions for S***s of Glory. Even if no painted prototypes were ready for the show yet...

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...099#post377099
    It would be nice to hear something 'official' from Ares, but they still have six days left for their Sword & Sorcery Kickstarter campaign. Consequently I'm sure they're all tied up with that effort.

I did notice today that there's been nothing on Facebook for SoG since September 29th and nothing for Wings since October 20th. BoardGameGeek is pretty much dormant as well.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, I think some of the other product lines for Ares are promising regarding sales and profits as they appeal to a far broader audience. I don't think, therefore, that we'll hear much regarding SoG. I'm not trying to be a downer or complainer; I think it is simply a statement of fact.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Jim, I think some of the other product lines for Ares are promising regarding sales and profits as they appeal to a far broader audience. I don't think, therefore, that we'll hear much regarding SoG. I'm not trying to be a downer or complainer; I think it is simply a statement of fact.
    Oh, I know what you're saying Eric. Being factual doesn't make you a 'debbie downer', which is why I'm a bit dubious about the status of waves 3 and 4. Ares is going where the money is and you can't blame them for that.

Setting that aside I do wonder at times how much longer the board game boom is going to last? The sheer quantity of games and game related products being produced via Kickstarter alone is amazing!
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Hope this helps,
    All are for 1-1200 scale

Attachment 17320
    Attachment 17321
    Attachment 17322
    Attachment 17323
    Attachment 17324

Be safe
    Rory

So Rory, do you have any flags for this side of the pond?
    Bob

Rules are rough approximations of what you think I might do!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Bos'n View Post
    So Rory, do you have any flags for this side of the pond?
    I cannot down-load the flags, Why! I don't know? P.M. me at devsdoc at hotmail dot com. I will send them to you.
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks for the flags! Excellent!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Reg

Quote Originally Posted by AdmWilloughy View Post
    I like this attitude, as it makes the game accessible to new players, but it is sadly very rare.

I had a 18th-19th force once, it was a bunch of British Irregulars from the colonies... (60th Royal American Light Infantry Brigade.) The rules for irregular soldiers where there in the system used... but when I showed up with a whole irregular company, for a company sized game, the event organizer accused me of cheese play and banned me. I sold my beautifully painted army afterwards and got into 40k as a result.

The problem he had, along with the 'regulars' was that artillery was less effective against irregular, and that they would've been forced to send cavalry at me because my rifles could out shoot their line muskets. In other words, they had to do more then line men up and roll dice. They'd have to actually try and out maneuver a force that was not going to play ball and line up for them to kill.

Really spoiled me on historicals for a long while. Now I am getting in this and Bolt Action... I'd love to bring my 60th boys back, but I still see the stigma in the community against running anything but big blocks of 'tradtional' formations.

These guys would have their minds blown if they ever did French Indian or American Revolutionary War ... or hell Peninsula Campaign in Spain.
    I must admit that I had a similar problem with my 25mm and 15mm Napoleonic Prussians back in the 70's. It is a well documented fact that the Prussians just loved to deploy Half Batteries but when ever I tried to use this historical formation it was always refused as "it wasn't in the RULES".

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Maturin View Post
    I must admit that I had a similar problem with my 25mm and 15mm Napoleonic Prussians back in the 70's. It is a well documented fact that the Prussians just loved to deploy Half Batteries but when ever I tried to use this historical formation it was always refused as "it wasn't in the RULES".
    I feared I would run into a certain mindset when using WoG and SoG with different genres of play, e.g. pirates, planes attacking King Kong, etc., let alone using ships from one country to represent ships from another country given the limited available product line, or mixing planes from different periods within a war in a given scenario. I can appreciate running an historically accurate game, but I can appreciate, also, running a truly fictitious game that has an enjoyable or interesting story.

With respect to rules, unless one is running a tournament, they should be at the GMs discretion. If a GM thinks that something would increase the enjoyment of the group, so be it. Why let a stringent adherence to the rules stand in the way? As long as all players are informed ahead of time so expectations are accurate, go for it, I say. This is why I don't play Paladins. Never let law stand in the way of good.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I think back on my wonderful years of colonial wargames with ficticious elements of steampunk thrown in and the very good atmosphere in the colonial wars mailing community. Oh, for the days of Major General Tremorden Rederring’s Colonial-era Wargames Page...

Wow... It's saved!
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071228...gen/index.html

I fought my own battles both at home and on Swedish conventions like Steamship troopers, a game where Victorian soldiers fought inspired by a source not quite historical.

Name:  Table.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  Steamship.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  67.9 KB

That ship was used by many nations over the years.
    Last edited by TexaS; 12-21-2015 at 01:24.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That looks like fun.

I saw some interesting games at Origins. One guy runs 19th century British soldiers vs. giant bugs in Africa, or some such thing. The game runs throughout the weekend, with folks jumping in and out as they have open time slots. I would like to play an hour just to see what it is like.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The good old cloth river system Jonas. Mine was made out of the leg of an old pair of sugarbag blue jeans.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I still use the same blue sea for my Sails of Glory battles.

It's some kind of water resistant, very synthetic fabric, slightly rubbery on the back side and was on sale. It's the same in both pictures, just the quirks of early digital photography and lighting conditions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well it certainly looks very good indeed Jonas.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

19th century British soldiers versus giant bugs - you could call it "Steamship Troopers". :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    19th century British soldiers versus giant bugs - you could call it "Steamship Troopers". :)
    That's pretty good, David!

It's like a miniature game I saw set up at Gen Con two years ago. 19th century British Army infantry vs. the Orcish Horde. The game was titled, "The Battle of Ork's Drift".
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Great minds think alike! TexaS in post #113 suggested the same name!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

I just saw an update on Boardgame Geek

Roberto Di Meglio

We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    Thanks for the update information. Fingers are now firmly crossed.
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Indeed, Happy,Happy, glad, glad, glad!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Thanks for the splendid news!
    Wave 3 already in June? Sounds almost too good to be true

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

"We had quite a slowdown due in changes in the SoG production team, but now things are back to normal. We expect to launch wave 3 in the first semester (probably June), then wave 4 before the end of the year.

And in the meantime, there's a card-only expansion which is coming, for a total of 3 expansion releases in 2016."

I do not profess to speak Italian but I know enough to put into italics and bold the words in Italian I do understand. June is merely the launch of wave 3. Which I take to mean beginning the actual fabrication process. I could be wrong on this lads but I do not think we will see ships for quite some time. It is an encouraging sign that an official word has been sent out through our gaming communities.
    I like to think of this whole process a living simulation of how it sometimes feels out at sea with nothing but water, sky, and ship beneath you.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How philosophical of you Paul.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneEnginee View Post
    Card only expansion? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Card only expansion? Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Speculation is it's captain and crew cards similar to what came with HMS Victory and USS Constitution? But we're just guessing.
    –English Proverb

I'm hoping it's ship expansion cards will show other ships of the different classes, like the Wings of War expansion cards..
    Last edited by Gunner; 02-01-2016 at 09:35.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I would hope its little packs of ships log, base card and manoeuvre deck to use current models as different ships, but who am I kidding!!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We can only wait and see, as my old Gran used to infuriatingly say.
    Now I know what being becalmed in the Doldrums with no Packet boat to bring you any news must have been like.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

I would hope its little packs of ships log, base card and manoeuvre deck to use current models as different ships, but who am I kidding!!!
    I don't think we'd need maneuver decks as a ship of the same class would have the same deck. But I would love to get ship logs and base cards for more ships. It would allow a big expansion of the game for small expense. I do hope it is more than a repeat of the kickstarter captain and crew decks. I would be fine with them producing a new deck including the old cards but also including new cards. We wouldn't need five of each card either, so it could be include more variety. Having a bunch of actual captains, like the ones with Victory and Constitution would be cool too.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I would like cards for the ships too. "Long out to sea" "Studding sails set" or something along those lines that would differentiate more between two ships of the same class.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I think that more Captain and Crew cards are the most likely but the other suggestions would be really good.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    I do not profess to speak Italian but I know enough to put into italics and bold the words in Italian I do understand. June is merely the launch of wave 3. Which I take to mean beginning the actual fabrication process. I could be wrong on this lads but I do not think we will see ships for quite some time. It is an encouraging sign that an official word has been sent out through our gaming communities.
    I like to think of this whole process a living simulation of how it sometimes feels out at sea with nothing but water, sky, and ship beneath you.
    I am pretty certain the plan is delivering them in June, but wouldn't be the first time a product didn't make it on time. But last fall the timeline was looking at February delivery so June may be the expected delay.

Roberto "Wave 3 is in pre-production now (all prototyping complete, mold-making in progress).

If all goes well, we might be able to ship it out of factory in Feb/March 2016.

Wave 3 will include 4 important new ship types, including the first "true" Spanish ships in the line (Nepomuceno and Meregildos), Artesien class and Portland class.

To keep you entertained in the meantime, we are working together with Andrea & Andrea on a little surprise, that we'll announce in a few weeks.

We are also prototyping wave 4, which will feature one of the ships "voted" by our Anchorage fans - John Paul Jones' Bonhomme Richard, French 80-guns ships of the line, English 64 guns, and Spanish frigates of the Mahonesa class. We expect wave 4 to be released around the end of 2016.

Posted Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:48 am
    from https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread...09/update-ares

So a Spanish 74 and a 112, a Brit 50 gunner and a French 64 in June. That would work for me. I'm working on painting up US and Brits for American Revolution Frigate actions, SO I'll try and have them ready by Xmas for Wave 4.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well if that schedule is even slipped as you suggest AB, it will be better than a kick up the bum.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well if that schedule is even slipped as you suggest AB, it will be better than a kick up the bum.
    Rob.
    ...Or better than a slap in the face with a wet fish!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A guppy or a whale shark?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't say that Richard, The fish delivery man from Hull is due any moment.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Another viral video that was almost certainly 'staged'.
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Another viral video that was almost certainly 'staged'.
    Indeed, if you pause the video you'll see the fish has been cleaned and gutted

It's still someone getting slapped in the face with a fish, though!

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I enjoyed it muchly!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If there are two planned releases in 2016, then we can probably count on receiving one.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Especially as the first is relatively early in the year.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Wouldn't it be nice to see at least a 3D drawing of the Spanish First Rate? I cannot wait to see the Spanish additions.
    –English Proverb

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

If there are two planned releases in 2016, then we can probably count on receiving one.
    I will be happy with any, I am not fussy!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Richard.
    Please just release anything to assuage my thirst, otherwise I'm just going to keep on buying more ships that I already have two of and repainting them.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Yep we NEEEEED our fix of NEEEW ships!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Ships or no ships, I just received my new large WWI WoG bombers. They are rather lovely, though I thought the Staaken would be a lighter shade of blue based on the pictures.