Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wave 3 Status and Update???

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    I would like to see xebecs and chinese war junks. Russian and Turkish ships are high on my list too.
    I like the way you think. (most of the time)

What rules were they using? If all they want to do is move brigades around, then they are the cheesy ones. Russian Irregulars and Cossacks destroyed Napoleon's Le Grand Armeé during their retreat from Moscow.
    Winter helped.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I would like to see xebecs and chinese war junks. Russian and Turkish ships are high on my list too.
    These would certainly broaden the locations for scenarios.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ya know, there's a historical precedent for those turd-sucking whiners' attitudes: if memory serves, the Royal Army had a similar attitude towards folks like the Swamp Fox. "Daw-mit, why won't these bloody Colonial bah-stahds fight FAIR and line up and die like civilized opponents?"

:p

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well you all know my opinion on this gentlemen.
    Play it as it comes.
    War is not fair, nor are sides well balanced. I am well used to seeing my British line cut down by Cpt. Kiwi's Colonial Rifles and Minute men. Then Alex at Front Rank brought out his dismounted Dragoons and for a couple of exhilarating games, I had a force which could gall the flanks of the American Army, until Andy got his American Dragoons painted. then it was back to the status quo. It did not spoil my game, because just occasionally I got the upper hand.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by AdmWilloughy View Post
    the event organizer accused me of cheese play and banned me. I sold my beautifully painted army afterwards and got into 40k as a result.
    My reaction to something like that would be to find some decent people to play against instead of morons.

such a shame you sold your figures. I've sold off very few o my painted stuff over the years and have regretted it later most times when I have.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Ya know, there's a historical precedent for those turd-sucking whiners' attitudes: if memory serves, the Royal Army had a similar attitude towards folks like the Swamp Fox. "Daw-mit, why won't these bloody Colonial bah-stahds fight FAIR and line up and die like civilized opponents?"

:p
    Who on earth are the Royal Army?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

So would I (eve better with an amended system that suited small ship actions)

Alas I think we'll be waiting a VERY long time for stuff like this, if indeed it ever comes (there's a chance we might see a xebec if the promised merchants/pirates wave ever sees the light of day).

Russians, Turks, Dutch and Swedes - all very welcome but agani, I think we'll be into the next decade before we see much of these.

Of course it would be nice to be proved wrong :)

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Nicely back on topic mates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I do not know for sure if this is right, but I heard that most of the Turkish war ships where designed after French ships. if this is so, we have a Turkish fleet to hand with a little work.
    So one down, three to go!
    Be safe
    Rory

You're right about the Turkish/French ships Rory, but never the less, it would be nice to see at least one of each rate by Ares.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is a pity that we cannot buy some stickers with different flags printed on them so that we can change the nationality of ships.

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Nicely back on topic mates.
    The rest of the Royal Hajj's picture

Name:  fantasy-pirate-battle-ships-wallpaper-wallchan-h-n-ibackgroundz_com.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  164.8 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It is a pity that we cannot buy some stickers with different flags printed on them so that we can change the nationality of ships.
    Did someone say "stickers?" All my elves need are desired flag images and sizes . . .

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I think the stickers for flags may be a poor solution, the flags on the ships are fairly chunky already!!
    I would carefully remove the flag from the model flagpole, and replace it with a paper flag printed off to scale and folded over with a reverse image of it to make a nice 2 sided flag!
    You then use a little glue to stick a narrow edge to the flagpole and voila!

A bigger problem is making a new log to play on with the right name etc!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Did not Vol make flag sheets and put them in the down-load part of this site. Or where they lost in the BIG CRASH? I have not looked. If they are gone we could ask him to re-post them. As said above it will be the ships logs. Could this site do some house-rules for the Turks?
    Be safe
    Rory

When I tried to download Vol's flags, I got "ERROR: File not found".

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The main problem I find with downloading flags that scale is the lack of definition when printing on an Inkjet. The smaller detail such as the white stripes on the British flag is subsumed by the pixel;s on either side.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The main problem I find with downloading flags that scale is the lack of definition when printing on an Inkjet. The smaller detail such as the white stripes on the British flag is subsumed by the pixel;s on either side.
    Rob.
    I made flags for my ww2 ships this way, though I found I had to use really good hammered finish paper in my printer to get a good result!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    I made flags for my ww2 ships this way, though I found I had to use really good hammered finish paper in my printer to get a good result!
    I have been using Photo paper for mine. Maybe I need a better quality.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also thanks for the flags doc Rory.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Salem

War junks would definitely be nice to see, especially the larger ones like the Baochuan.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob.
    That is why I bought a colour laser printer and was very careful to choose one with high resolution in both vertical and horizontal. It's common for them to list them as 2400 dpi but they are only 600 dpi vertically. Mine is 1200x1200. It's what I have used to printed all my flags and on ordinary paper. My main problem is that when I bend the flag the colour may flake and I want to add colour to the edges. Therefore I usually add a little paint manually.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am afraid that is a cost that I just can't justify for printing Sails of Glory Flags Jonas.
    I did look at one once, but my output of Flags and decals is just not enough.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I us a bog-standard printer for my ships.
    Be safe
    Rory

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

What rules were they using? If all they want to do is move brigades around, then they are the cheesy ones. Russian Irregulars and Cossacks destroyed Napoleon's Le Grand Armeé during their retreat from Moscow.

A lot of things destroyed Napoleon's army in Russia, I do not know that one can give Cossacks all the credit (the regular Russian "brigades" played a big part, too). But for a company level war-game, excluding Light or irregular infantry in favor of does seem a bit strange. Arguably, company-sized skirmish games are the most historically appropriate venue for such units; you would rarely see a line infantry company operating by itself . . . unless, probably, it was attacking or being attacked by irregulars.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any actual further news on the timing of wave three, or the Fleet action rules.
    My Squadrons, with recent additions, are rapidly approaching what might be called a Fleet.
    If we can add a few ships from wave three I will be there.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Any actual further news on the timing of wave three, or the Fleet action rules.
    My Squadrons, with recent additions, are rapidly approaching what might be called a Fleet.
    If we can add a few ships from wave three I will be there.
    Rob.
    I wonder how many ships are 'enough' !

I have been asked by one of the lads at our club to do a mini campaign -- and no doubt I will have to supply most of the ships!
    I need a merchantman! - and some coastal fortifications, and have yet to find what I want. There is a show at the end of November in Stockton where I hope to get what I need.
    Has anyone done a set of manoeuvre cards, or ships log for a generic merchantman?

Sheesck, I love this game!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That 2015 rumor seems far fetched now. It's just two months left and no pictures, no release dates...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    That 2015 rumor seems far fetched now. It's just two months left and no pictures, no release dates...
    With Ares pushing out other board games and their current Kickstarter for "Sword and Sorcery" I decided the chances of seeing new ship models very unlikely this year. Outside of Roberto's comments on BoardGame Geek we've heard very little and Sven confirmed nothing was said at Spiel. So all we can do is wait and hope something is announced before the end of the year?

To be honest I was more focused on the special surprise promised, but that has also failed to materialize?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

26 ships and I feel I have enough to wet my appetite for many more months to come. I have 5 first raters with broken mast syndrome so I feel a conversion to a large merchantman could be in order. As to decks, anyone know of speeds? Where they comparative to warships or faster? How where they armed? Etc....

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'd recommend to start with a 40-gun frigate. It would be more of the right size and they don't have royals. I'd make them a little slower too.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

If I was looking to set soemthing up quickly I would go for a medium sized frigate, but without gunnery or musketry factors (except for indiamen), and use a 1st rate manoeuvre deck

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    If I was looking to set something up quickly I would go for a medium sized frigate, but without gunnery or musketry factors (except for indiamen), and use a 1st rate manoeuvre deck
    Thanks guys, I was wondering how big merchantmen were in the Napoleonic wars, your ideas help a lot!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Several East Indiamen were bought by the Royal Navy and converted to fourth-rate warships.

Works for me. Thanks Rory

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Looks like the first raters will stay first raters then! Don't have enough frigate types to start messing around with them.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Looks like the first raters will stay first raters then! Don't have enough frigate types to start messing around with them.
    Yes, I may have to get some little ships too! - at least they are a few quid cheaper than the 1st rates!!!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    Try using 3rd rate as big merchant-men! I do. They are only targets
    Be safe
    Rory

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Would a 1/1200 3rd rate be about right for a merchantman?
    I got a few spare of these ?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A third rate in 1:1200 with closed gun ports and without royals set would work well enough I'd say.
    If you have with open gun ports it would be nice to file down and fill the lower gun deck's gun ports. If you care enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Would a 1/1200 3rd rate be about right for a merchantman?
    I got a few spare of these ?
    Closer to scale is always better but, as long as all players agree, that wouldn't be a problem

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Just a thought, did other merchant ships than the aforementioned East Indiamen carry guns? and did they paint their hulls, or stick to dark brown?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Some merchants did, many carried a few small pieces, some could be quite heavily armed depending on the owner's pockets and the value of a typical cargo. Whether they were adequately manned...

As far as paint schemes, the answer is "yes", soem were painted in dour colours (cheap), others varnished, some painted brightly almost as a form of advertising (I recall seeing a description of (IIRC) an Italian merchant arriving in English waters as looking like a floating circus.

Most of my merchies are either dark brown, black or varnished wood. I think there is a pink one in the collection somewhere, mainly because Liz liked the colour :)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I think there is a pink one in the collection somewhere, mainly because Liz liked the colour :)
    The things one does to please the better half

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

She used to have a pink 74 as well, oh and a pink P-40 (but that was based on a real aircraft that did the UK airshow circuit 30 years ago)

Lets not forget the

Name:  pink sub.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  8.8 KB

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*massive barf take*

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Don't forget the Beatles Yellow Submarine.