Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default French 1st Rates

I was just going through my "I" maneuver deck and noticed that there is only 1 - 2 and 1 - 8 card. The cataloging numbers at the bottom are unbroken, so no no cards are missing. Anyone else's decks like this? What gives?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The "I" deck should only be for HMS Victory special edition and yes that only has one 2 card and one 8 card. My regular French 1st Rates all have F decks with two "3's" being the lowest numbered maneuver card in those decks.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Oops, my mistake! I thought I had my cards arranged by maneuverability, not alphabetically, and french first rates not being the most agile, I grabbed the last deck in my card box. I completely overlooked that the letter did not match the ship's base card.

So does the single card for those maneuvers imply that Victory can not do two of those maneuvers in a row?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Oops, my mistake! I thought I had my cards arranged by maneuverability, not alphabetically, and french first rates not being the most agile, I grabbed the last deck in my card box. I completely overlooked that the letter did not match the ship's base card.

So does the single card for those maneuvers imply that Victory can not do two of those maneuvers in a row?
    I think that would be a fair assumption Dobbs.
    Although I have not had my HMS Victory cards out yet, so was also unaware of this.
    Thanks for drawing my attention to the fact. It may well save me embarrassment in my first game frantically going through the pack trying to find cards which don't exist, whilst everyone else waits impatiently wanting to get on with the game.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I noticed the single sharp turn card, as i was wondering if the special ships would need special charts for the PM solo rules.
    I decided it wasn't necessary to do a separate chart as the sharp turn is only really useful to me when Victory is stern on to its opponent and needs to turn sharp to possibly stern rake the Frenchie! - since I modified PM a few months ago, the player uses that card automatically in this circumstance, without dicing for manoeuvre!
    Last edited by Herkybird; 04-29-2016 at 06:09.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I hadn't seen this thread until this evening following the first outing of HMS Victory. The lack of two cards in the I deck was a surprise to me as well. I was trying to manoeuvre the victory to engage the French at the time. Hmmm, that's interesting I thought...
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

It makes Victory fast, supposedly historical, but not to fast that would make it turn like a frigate.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

It does help to consider that in design terms, Victory was basically a Slade Common 74 on anabolic steroids--Morineau's original design for 1744 L'Invincible was that good to start with, and Sir Thomas Slade spent a big chunk of his career iterating on that basic design until it was refined as far as it could go.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    It does help to consider that in design terms, Victory was basically a Slade Common 74 on anabolic steroids
    Yes but aren't steroids supposed to make you muscle-bound and slow, as well as big and strong?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL My point was, Victory's officers reported her as handling more like a Third Rate than a First.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well that makes me feel no better when reviewing my encounter with Neil at Praag Con.
    Rob.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Neil is a skilled captain, it is no dishonour to fall before superior opposition!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, he had a superior number of guns. There's no dishonour in loosing to that... as long as you weren't outmaneuverd... Oups...

Well, you will still be held in highest regard by me. I love your AARs!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No problem chaps. It was all tongue in cheek stuff.
    Neil and I are not going to have any regrets about battles won or lost.
    Life's too short to make a big deal out of a game, unless you happen to be Commodore on the Victory, and have just been hit in the eye by a week old Stottie fired from a French First Rate.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    as long as you weren't outmaneuverd... Oups...
    Well actually I was outmanouvered on the very first pass Jonas, as I turned to give him a raking broadside at close range, with first time of fire, he shortened sail, and I missed the rake by 2mm. I never regained the initiative after that. By such small increments are games won and lost. That's the beauty of the game.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    No problem chaps. It was all tongue in cheek stuff.
    Neil and I are not going to have any regrets about battles won or lost.
    Life's too short to make a big deal out of a game, unless you happen to be Commodore on the Victory, and have just been hit in the eye by a week old Stottie fired from a French First Rate.
    Rob.
    I'm quite enjoying the banter knowing full well that it's all in fun. The two of you, along with several others here, are the primary reason this site has some life and why I check back each day to see what's new and exciting!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb