Thread: 10 players/ships - how many counter sets

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Default 10 players/ships - how many counter sets

Ahoy mates!

Has anyone of you participated in a game with 10 ships on table?
    I am going to run such a big game for the first time tomorrow for my gaming group and the very first question is:
    Should I break the damage counters from the second starter set or the one set I usually use will do just fine?

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It depends upon whether you will have players keep their damage chits or simply record damage and then place chits back into the cup or bag. If you're using only one set, I highly encourage printing off paper logs, record chits, and replace. We uploaded simplified ship logs for every released ship if you decide to go that route; these aren't set for all the advanced rules, however, but that is an upcoming project.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrzej

Hi Eric:) Thanks for a fast reply.
    Since most of the sailors will be green I think writing damage may be tricky a bit, so the second starter will be helpful.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have found that with green players, recording damage on the laminated logs was easier, and they had less chits to fiddle with. By writing, you simply are crossing off boxes on the printed off logs.

Best wishes on a good time, Andrzej.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

For what it's worth I played the solo scenario designed by Neil last evening. It included 8 ships so I broke out a second set of chits to add to the bags. I haven't had time to print out logs for ships, but I did use markers on the standard logs and returned chits to the bags when the boxes were 'full'. I think it worked well, but I can't tell you if what I did altered the statistical averages?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

No more statistical alteration than the game rules, as written, engender.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    No more statistical alteration than the game rules, as written, engender.
    This is most certainly true.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Andrzej, it depends on the ships you use.

For a frigate encounter I would use one set.

For 3rd and 1st rate I would unseal the second set.

To throw the counters back after you drew them would weaken the the characteristic of a damage token set like in WGS.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sven is correct about the ships' ratings. I have seen several SoLs fire in a given turn, and when undamaged, they throw a lot of chits, especially if there are any stern rakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    To throw the counters back after you drew them would weaken the the characteristic of a damage token set like in WGS.
    I think Sven meant to say "enhance".

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When I sailed this scenario, I used two sets of chits, and only returned the ones that became redundant after a ship was rendered hors de combat, having photographed its card first.
    This seemed to work fine without any undue shortages, and I would think that for 10 ships it would also be fine.
    Rob.

I have run a game with 18 ship, 6 players. I use two complete damage chit sets. At this time I ran this particular game, we were not sending the chits back to the bag after each firing. We never ran out of any chit set. Hope this helps, but two sets can cover a fairly large game in my experience.

Ditto on the 2 sets - I ran a convention scenario with 8 SoL and used 2 sets, only replacing the counters when a ship struck.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If memory serves, Andrea A. once told me that a single counter-set was meant to handle 6-8 ships at once. I'll check my email archive...