Thread: Question about sloops?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Default Question about sloops?

So, I've reviewed my sloops in the mail tonight they will be on the board. My question is... How useful are the sloops? Will a sloop have any chance against a 32? They seem rather weak. The scenario I had in mind for tonight was Le Fortune and Hermione vs Constitution in a Quasi war grudge match. So other than sloop vs sloop and blockade running what are some good scenarios?

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Sloops tend to get blown to pieces against anything larger than themselves in my experience, let alone a super frigate like USS Constitution!
    The extra manoeuverability of the sloop over most of its opponents is not normally enough to keep you safe from those savage broadsides.

In a scenario, why not have a sloop going close to shore (it has a shallow enough draft to get close ashore) - to pick up a landing party (Which has picked up a spy/treasure/damsel!), with a frigate in support, against an enemy frigate trying to stop the pick up?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    So, I've reviewed my sloops in the mail tonight they will be on the board. My question is... How useful are the sloops? Will a sloop have any chance against a 32? They seem rather weak. The scenario I had in mind for tonight was Le Fortune and Hermione vs Constitution in a Quasi war grudge match. So other than sloop vs sloop and blockade running what are some good scenarios?
    Cutting-out operations were the small units' stock-in-trade -- lay out some "drone" ships, and see how many of them can be "burned" (one turn to inflict a Fire critical) before the defense can get its act together.

I like the sloops, although they are definitely not centerpiece units. In scenarios you can come up with rules to use them for towing and signalling, etc. But they also can help even up a battle.

On paper the weaker version of Constitution would have just a slight edge on Hermione + Le Fortune (119 to 111 points). But that may understate the US advantage.

I suspect it might be more fun to pit the stronger Constitution against Hermione, Le Fortune and Alligator (133 to 148 points). Theoretically the edge goes to France, but I think it would be close and fun to see how it unfolds

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Where are the points listed?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tgalante View Post
    Where are the points listed?
    Ares lists the point values on their website.

http://www.aresgames.eu/category/dow...of-glory-games

Fred has a spreadsheet on BoardGame Geek that also lists the point values.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1376...eet-updated-vc
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

One day, I hope to play a game using all small ships. I would like to experience the feel of such a game, especially is the scenario takes advantage of the ships' possibilities and isn't a simple duel.

If all the bases weren't the same size, it could be interesting to play the smaller ships with many small islands and lanes where maneuvering has to be watched closely.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You could use shoals for this purpose Eric.
    The draught of a Sloop allowing it to cross the bar where a Frigate could not follow.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

I posted a question on sloops before noticing this thread.

In a game yesterday we had both sides using two sloops and a couple of islands. In general the speed of the sloops took some getting used to. One sloop was lost when she ran aground due to miscalculation. An excellent idea around shoals Mr Bligh.
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

How about a sloop has to slip into or out of a harbour carrying a secret despatch past a patrolling frigate? The idea is to avoid combat and not be captured. The harbour could have a defensive fort and there could be some offshore islands and shoals to make it more interesting.

Midshipman
    New Zealand

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

An excellent idea for a game.
    Visit "The Wargames Room":
    http://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries