United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'd say white.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Gunner probably read this thread about 6 years ago and thinks it "authoritative". It isn't:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=180515

Paul I lived in his mother's shadow his entire life. When Catherine died, he was in his 40's. He lasted 5 years as emperor before being assassinated. And guess what, Gunner, all the ships at sea during his brief emperorship did not return to port and paint themselves green simply to satisfy his decree. The painting of ships depended upon which paint was available when a ship entered a harbor to refit.
    If you read the quote you linked to it says Paul changed the naval uniforms to green from white, not the ships. The ships it doesn't specify. Since Paul only lasted 5 years and all Russian ships were white on black by 1806, I will go with Ed's reference from Mike Nagel's and Rory's source book, written by an "authoritative" historian with way more credentials than anyone on this forum or on TMP.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

I would think White!
    Be safe
    Rory

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    In all honesty, the reason for my Russian green & white Napoleonic navy that was built way back in the 1980's & 90's is because it was the accepted color for Russian ships at that time (And they looked good).
    But the only credible reason IMO to have them painted black and white was the mention of those colors in 'Russian Warships in the age of Sail 1696-1860 by Catherine, Paul or Alexander wanting to have the colors a uniform black with white stripes, but nothing to confirm this ever happened. I spent the last ten minutes trying to find it to no avail, maybe someone here could direct me to the page.
    I'm really not convinced either way. That's why I put in teasers to encourage people to 'dig'.
    And old friend, don't bring a surgeon's tool to a gunfight.
    Your friend (I hope)
    Ed
    Ed,
    Always!
    Be safe
    Rory

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    Dobbs & Fred,
    I vote all U.S. ships should be pink By the way spy planes in WW2 were pink, It is the best colour to have and not be seen.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Sort of like a Napoleonic "Operation Petticoats", I like it! Have to keep the white stripe for the gunports though.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Sort of like a Napoleonic "Operation Petticoats", I like it! Have to keep the white stripe for the gunports though.

Be safe
    Rory

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Gentlemen,

Unfortunately I am going into hospice care in a couple of days and I will have zero internet access.

I can, however, put the base SVG file into a zip and post it if there is a way to do that.

It was made in Inkscape https://inkscape.org/en/ so anyone who wants to play with it can do it for free.... if someone will tell me how to post a zip file, I'll put it up...

Christian

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the work you've put into creating the file. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how you can save or upload a zip file. Hopefully someone can answer this before you go to hospice?

I got my library copy of The Honorable Company today. I will think of you as I read through the text.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

You will be in our prayers.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Christian sent me a couple of emails with attachments. I am trying to figure out how to do this, and, hopefully, will have something uploaded by this evening.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christian

Eric, please distribute the ship colour file freely. It is my hope someone will be able to pick this up where I left off...

And thank you everyone for your words of support. Tomorrow morning I go into hospice care. I don't know if there will be internet access or not. If not, fare well, all of you. Thank you so very much for the welcome you gave me.

If an of you are interested, you can find some details of where I come from here:
    http://livermorehomeless.blogspot.co...-me-worry.html

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

God be with you Christian.
    Rob.