I was chatting with my old gaming buddies on Friday night about wargames their systems, faults and solutions.
They are all three firmly entrenched in the endless cycle of GW addiction, and for all the two leviathan systems failings they still enjoy WFB and torture themselves with 40k (Which they enjoy far less).
I have noticed a trend in wargames and board games of late in which most companies are moving away from the old "I go, you go" method, and embracing different ways of mixing up the player order per turn.
Now i know its not a new concept (my first non igougo game was space marine back in 89), but im finding i really like this trend and its showing the age and flaws of other less progressive systems. SoG's turn method is simple and allows both players to enjoy consistant play time, it also allows you to get your shots in return rather than leaving you to wait and "pucker up" as it were.
I managed to quit my GW plastic crack addiction last year and i dont miss it, each to their own as it were.
My own experiences of games of 40k for example had become a tedious excercise in waiting for my opponent to finish their turn.
These turns could last upto twenty minutes each and involve rolling buckets of dice, the result of which gave me my only contribution to the turn, removing my models from the table.

This is not an anti GW thread by any means, and those who like 40k are welcome to it.

My question would be, have you had similar experiences?
Are there systems you find play better than others?
Has igougo reached the end of its life as a means of portraying wargames in an entertaining way?

Fire away my shipmates!