Thread: The progress of wargaming in recent times

Hybrid View

My first simultaneous movement game was "Starfleet Battles". I purchased the pocket games back in 1980. Unfortunately, they turned a pocked game into wargaming tax code.

I love the term Panzerbushing, there were definitely some weird things you could game in Panzer Blitz, that they kind of fixed in Panzer Leader. I don't so much mind IGOUGO, but in most games fire at least should be simultaneous (this rewards good tactics even while you may be penalized by bad dice).

I am a big fan of Bolt Action, since you move or move and fire, or ambush during an activation.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    I am a big fan of Bolt Action, since you move or move and fire, or ambush during an activation.
    IOur gaming group has used the BA system for Sci Fi, Vietnam, WW1, Pony Wars, western gunfights and ancients so far - the one thing the guys really don't like using it for is WW2 as its "too bland" (which is why its easy to translate to other eras and scales)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    IOur gaming group has used the BA system for Sci Fi, Vietnam, WW1, Pony Wars, western gunfights and ancients so far - the one thing the guys really don't like using it for is WW2 as its "too bland" (which is why its easy to translate to other eras and scales)
    David,

There is a local group here that uses Bolt Action for both WWI and Vietnam, I have not tried using it for either. I was trying to adapt it to Heinlien's Starship Troopers, versus Verhoven's. So troops in powered armor, smaller bugs but with lasers. Keep getting side tracked with other projects.

Bob

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    David,

There is a local group here that uses Bolt Action for both WWI and Vietnam, I have not tried using it for either. I was trying to adapt it to Heinlien's Starship Troopers, versus Verhoven's. So troops in powered armor, smaller bugs but with lasers. Keep getting side tracked with other projects.

Bob
    One of the big improvements we made to BA was to house rule the section/squad cohesion rules. as it stands you can't get anywhere near proper small unit tactics, by allowing players to split squads into fire teams or groups it becomes so much more satisfying (if you are familiar with what you are trying to recreate)