Thread: The progress of wargaming in recent times

Hybrid View

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yet, for some reason, IGYG works for chess, Go, Shogi, Xiangqi, - maybe it's the abstraction.

I started playing the 1-player game Zulus on the Ramparts late last night. It has some interesting mechanics. I want to watch the film, now; it has been decades since I last saw it.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Yet, for some reason, IGYG works for chess, Go, Shogi, Xiangqi, - maybe it's the abstraction.

I started playing the 1-player game Zulus on the Ramparts late last night. It has some interesting mechanics. I want to watch the film, now; it has been decades since I last saw it.
    Chess is a lesser igyg than say 40k , imagine chess where white gets to move all his pieces before black gets to move all his.
    I may just try that for fun.

I recommend Saul David's book on the Zulu war, its very interesting. This time Napoleon was on our side!!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Bob, I realize this could be considered blasphemy by some, but I never got into the Panzer Blitz series. I tried PB, PL, and Arab-Israeli War, but they never grabbed me. I don't know about now, but back then, Tobruk was my armor standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    Chess is a lesser igyg than say 40k , imagine chess where white gets to move all his pieces before black gets to move all his.
    I may just try that for fun.

I recommend Saul David's book on the Zulu war, its very interesting. This time Napoleon was on our side!!
    I didn't think of it until reading your post, but Chess is more like Conflict of Heroes than Third Reich in the IGYG sense. Your alternative would definitely be interesting to play, especially on a larger board. Hmmm.

I have David's book in my cart. I see a novel series as well. Thanks for the recommendation.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Bob, I realize this could be considered blasphemy by some, but I never got into the Panzer Blitz series. I tried PB, PL, and Arab-Israeli War, but they never grabbed me. I don't know about now, but back then, Tobruk was my armor standard.

I didn't think of it until reading your post, but Chess is more like Conflict of Heroes than Third Reich in the IGYG sense. Your alternative would definitely be interesting to play, especially on a larger board. Hmmm.

I have David's book in my cart. I see a novel series as well. Thanks for the recommendation.
    I loved panzer blitz but I hated the brutal combat results table. In IGOUGO mode, whoever fired first usually won. Even a poor roll on the dice could disable the target and the units couldn't fire their next turn.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    In IGOUGO mode, whoever fired first usually won. Even a poor roll on the dice could disable the target and the units couldn't fire their next turn.
    That's one of the reasons I like WoG and SoG; unless there is a good reason for timed shooting, e.g. if initiative actually means shooting prior to the other side, I like simultaneous firing effects. I think, though, for such timed shooting to make sense, the time per round has to be very short. Basically, I think this would only make sense in tactically oriented games with small scales. It no longer makes sense to me, in terms of accurateness or feel, to have one side move and shoot prior to the other side without compelling reasons. That being said, I am a long way away from parting with some of my AH games.

Here's an interesting read from the designer of the Band of Brothers series of WWII tactical wargames. I read this recently as I contemplated backing the KS for the new expansion.

http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=176
    Last edited by 7eat51; 06-29-2015 at 16:35.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Sadly the link seems to have expired Eric.
    Like you i cannot see the benefit in wargames of igoygo.

Did anyone else play AH's Russian Front? I loved that game sooooo much
    Last edited by Popsical; 06-29-2015 at 12:25.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Thanks for the read, Eric. It's been my observations on game designs that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't, simultaneously! I like the open rules aspect of SOG for that very observation. A basic game, a standard game and a kitchen sink game while allowing for house rules in any of those versions pleases all the people all the time IMHO, and SOG does just that. It reminds me of the old Tunnels and Trolls reaction to Dungeons and Dragons. Ken St. Andre, who I had the pleasure of playing T&T at Rincon a couple of years ago, had that attitude when he first stumbled upon D&D. Dump the rules you don't like, make up or choose optional rules you do like.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    Thanks for the read, Eric. It's been my observations on game designs that you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't, simultaneously! I like the open rules aspect of SOG for that very observation. A basic game, a standard game and a kitchen sink game while allowing for house rules in any of those versions pleases all the people all the time IMHO, and SOG does just that. It reminds me of the old Tunnels and Trolls reaction to Dungeons and Dragons. Ken St. Andre, who I had the pleasure of playing T&T at Rincon a couple of years ago, had that attitude when he first stumbled upon D&D. Dump the rules you don't like, make up or choose optional rules you do like.
    I found his comments helpful in terms of appreciating the game's design and for ideas on how to play; though this was on game design philosophy, it served as a bit of playing advice..

I, too, like the openness of WoG and SoG. I enjoy reading house-rule discussions, and having the ability to customize the game's rules to a given session's goal. Fortunately, my friends are open to trying various things, so we can explore different rules.

That's been my attitude toward GMing Pathfinder games - the rules are a place to start, but we're free to deviate as much as we want as long as everyone is aware of the changes. I consistently remind my players to ask me questions and not to assume.

I've not tried T&T. Is it still active?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Bob, I realize this could be considered blasphemy by some, but I never got into the Panzer Blitz series. I tried PB, PL, and Arab-Israeli War, but they never grabbed me.
    Me neither. Did anyone ever try the West End Games "Tank Leader" series? I thought they were good fun.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    I recommend Saul David's book on the Zulu war, its very interesting.
    Zulu: The Heroism and Tragedy of the Zulu War of 1879 has arrived. When I return to Zulu on the Ramparts this fall, I will read this in conjunction with playing. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

No probs Eric, i thought i knew quite a bit about the Zulu war until i read that book.
    Its the only book i read where i dont want a Napoleon to lose