I've been trying to research something, so I'll throw it out to the group...

Let's say that a ship's best speed at its best point of sail in a given wind -- all other things being equal -- is 100%. The other points of sail in that wind would be something less than 100%.

Would this be plausible for a square-rigger:

Broad Reach = 100% of best speed
Running = 75% of best speed
Beam Reach = 50% of best speed
Beating = (%?)

I'm also trying to make a similar breakdown for the topsail schooners that fought on the Great Lakes (particularly the slow, unstable converted transports that Chauncey used on Lake Ontario, like the Raven, Hamilton, Asp, etc.)

Would this be plausible for those topsail schooners:

Beam Reach = 100% of best speed
Broad reach = 75% of best speed
Run = 50% of best speed
Beat = 15% of best speed

If my percentages seem way off to you, please suggest ones that seem more accurate.

I read that in general, fore-and-aft rigged ships have their best point of sail on a beam reach (is that right?)
But I think that's a generalization based on a sharp hull that can hold its course better to windward. I don't think that was necessarily true for the Lake Ontario ships, which had "bluff" hulls and shallow drafts as former cargo haulers. Contemporary accounts say they lost so much ground to windward that they couldn't hold place in a line of battle, and could only do so if towed.
Another question is whether these schooners' ability to run wing-and-wing* and deploy their topsails gave these particular types of schooners a better speed when running than a plain "baldheaded" schooner -- and if so, how would that reflect in those percentages above? Maybe it's running that should be the point of sail with 100% of best speed, in the case of a topsail schooner?

Also, I think the shallow-draft Great Lakes brigs and corvettes couldn't really sail much to windward at all.

But I need to quantify this to get some plausible movement allowances for each of the 8 points of sail for the Maneuver Level of my game, "A Glorious Chance."
By capturing the relative characteristics of the way the ships sailed, I hope to give them realistic advantages or disadvantages against each other in various wind and attitude conditions.

I'm sure some of you experienced real and miniature sailors have some thoughts about this. Come alongside, grab your speaking trumpet and let's hear 'em!

*Running before the wind with foresail hauled over on one side and mainsail on the other. Old schooner captains sometimes called this "reading the book," because the sails looked like the pages of an open book.