Thread: anchoring and taken aback

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

Default anchoring and taken aback

Say on turn 1 my ship is taken aback (1st turn)
    Then at turn 2 I anchor -- take ation to decrease sails to struck
    turn 3 I plan new action: increase sails to backing -- no movement card planed
    turn 4 I plan a maneuver card but I'm still taken aback. I replace maneuver card by the propper red-border one... but should I use the first or the second sandglass naneuver? This is the second time the ship is taken aback (it is since turn 1), but she was anchored at the previous turn...

so? :)

I would say 2-hourglass.

That seems consistent with the rules. "Taken aback" seems to be defined according to "the attitude of the wind" or "the position of the ship with respect to the wind" (p9). Thus even though anchored and not moving, you've still been taken aback for 2+ consecutive turns, so should use 2 hourglasses.

Also it seems consistent with common sense. You would never start having forward momentum if you raised anchor from a stopped position while pointing into the wind

You need the two glasses maneuver of course.

The one glass maneuver is placed in front of the ship & simulates the rest speed you have when turning against the wind.

So if you start anchoring and set sails you have to take the two glas maneuver, that is placed behind the ship's base and simulates a push back.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

As the others have stated above!! Besides, a ship at anchor will naturally swing into the wind unless there is a strong tide to swing it in a direction with the tide!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

Thanks guys