Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USS Constitution Repaint

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Lovely detail, I am sure it will grace your gaming table a treat! A ship that size will allow more games involving the USA!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I didn't want to start another thread so I'm posting this YouTube video here. I had not seen this gun crew exercise before, but when I went looking for paintings of the Santisima Trinidad I found this on the todorababor website. Cheers!

"It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It was interesting to watch that video but I think that it is not quite a true depiction of what would have happened. I think that the cannon would have been hauled further inboard so that it could be swabbed out and reloaded without the gun crew exposing themselves sitting in the hatchway and risking being shot, crushed in a collision or dropping something into the sea.

Midshipman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Kamil

Jim, I looked long at pictures of your USS Constitution repaint and I was convinced. A moment ago I placed an order for my own copy of the Old Ironside.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It was interesting to watch that video but I think that it is not quite a true depiction of what would have happened. I think that the cannon would have been hauled further inboard so that it could be swabbed out and reloaded without the gun crew exposing themselves sitting in the hatchway and risking being shot, crushed in a collision or dropping something into the sea.
    That was my thought as well, but perhaps changes to the ship itself prevented the full pull back on the gun? Interestingly enough they did not pull it back completely on both the overhead (outdoor) exercise and the one on the gun deck?
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by KDz View Post
    Jim, I looked long at pictures of your USS Constitution repaint and I was convinced. A moment ago I placed an order for my own copy of the Old Ironside.
    She is a an outstanding ship sculpt and makes an impressive showing on the game table. Enjoy her when she arrive, and thank you for the rep.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The recoil of the gun if loaded with shot would have taken her well inboard allowing the swabbing and reloading to be done much more easily. Also the rope work with a fully trained crew would have been smoother and faster. Nevertheless, it was a very interesting demo.
    Rob.