Thread: Glorious First of June was a great success!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Glorious First of June was a great success!

Well besides being the “largest historical battle and most ships” game played to date using the Sails of Glory rule set, we probably set a record as most photographed game at Enfilade! It drew an extremely large amount of passer-bys.

I’m rather tired after a three-day stint of gaming (actually running or assisting in running games) so you’ll have to wait for an after action report. Hopefully Fredmiracle will also be able to provide his perspective.

But to give you a little teaser, here is a photo of the Saturday night setup I took with my phone so you can see what 71 ships look like.

More later.

Name:  GFJ_SatNightSetup.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  180.4 KB

'Twas indeed a glorious event. Dave and his team have been working for months to prepare it, and all their attention to detail showed.

We even got to use their tarp conveyor-belt setup to shift the fleets by one map-length and avoid sailing off the table!

I think we had 17 players + 2 game controllers, which was just about right. It would have been nice to spread the ships across a few more people, but physically it would have been very challenging to fit more folks around the table.

The French played well, and the general consensus was that they were winning. But we Brits felt we might turn the tide, if only we had had a bit more time.

I'm not sure anyone really had a handle on the entire battle. Probably much like captains in a real fight, I tended to have a general sense of each fleet's momentum, but real situational awareness only about my immediate vicinity. I think when we ended the French were leading in prizes by something like 7 to 5, but I may well be off.

Here's how things looked around turn 7 as the British (left) began breaking through the neat French battle line (right). We played roughly 10-11 turns--enough for the British to finish breaking through and some confused melees to develop.

Name:  SAM_1954.jpg
Views: 1346
Size:  190.4 KB

Will provide a more detailed AAR about the rear division fight later :)

Impressive!

Most impressive!

You set new standarts for a real big & historical SoG game.

Congratulations to Washington, comrades.

I'm glad that the French fought well and I have to say, that breaking through a line isn't that easy at SoG.

I would leave those actions to 1st rates because you have a real "raking shot" risk when turning towards the enemy line.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Amazing set up!

I know how you feel after three days of running games at a convention. I did it last weekend, but only had 18 ships in the big battle.

I'm really curious for more pictures, but take your time!

I sent some well earned reputation!

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Fantastic looking event. The AAR is most anticipated. Well done indeed.

Looks like a lot of fun and an amazing set up. Did anyone sail of the short edges?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Looks fantastic! I would have loved to have been there. I notice no chits on the table. No ship mats. It will be interesting to see how the whole thing came off.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Absolutely incredible!! Thank you Dave, Fred, Tess and others for working on this monumental effort. I suspect your Glorious First will hold a SoG world record for some time to come. Like everyone else I can't wait to see what the AAR and additional photos will add to this event. Rest up and enjoy the rest of the convention if you can. Thanks again.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Now THAT is what you call a Line of Battle!!! Nelson is smiling, and probably critiquing too!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

*is ded of awsum*
    Ahem. What m'learned friend means is 'By Jove, you fellows, that was jolly good."
    "And we'll rant and we'll roar, like true British sailors
    We'll rant and we'll roar, all on the salt sea
    Until we strike sounding in the channel of old England:
    From Ushant to Scilly, 'tis thirty-five leagues."

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Congratulations on your hard work and amazing efforts. Just imagine what the real Battle would have looked and sounded like!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Wow! That is impressive, Dave.

How long did the game take?

Enjoy your post-gaming rest. It is well deserved.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

For your enjoyment I posted an AAR narrative, from the perspective of my personal experience of the battle (Rashomon style).

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...lorious-Tumult

I think Dave is going to create an overview of the whole shebang at some point

Congratulations to organizers and players for such an achievement. And a big, big, big thank you.
    It would be great if some pictures were posted to BoardGameGeek too, for the joy of the gamers community all over the world.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ares has put up a brief article for the Glorious First on their main website. A very nice photo of the participants and the battle table are included.

http://www.aresgames.eu/14620

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Although I have just seen Fred's rear division in action, this overview of the whole battle, and the way the travelator works is very impressive.
    Again my congratulations to the organizers of this truly mammoth game.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    How long did the game take?
    Yes please, how much?

Great indeed anyway.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Dave might be the best to approach for the answer Andrea, as Fred has not been active since the end of 2016 unfortunately.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.