Thread: Minor complaint about Constitution/Victory ships.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Minor complaint about Constitution/Victory ships.

I really love just about everything the two new have. I love the packaging, I love it all..except for this:

Name:  artbin 3.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  155.2 KB

I use an artbin case to store my ships in. On the larger SOLs, you have to turn the ships diagonally on their bases to fit in the case.

Name:  artbin 1.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  185.6 KB

You can't do that with these new models and their cruciform pegs.

I can either use the larger storage areas where the ships will slide around and where I now keep the ship logs or come up with a better way. The ships are also much taller the the other SOLs, so it barely fits height wise. I thought about separating the ship from it's base and storing it diagonally that way, but the mainmast on the Victory sticks above the lip of the case. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Hmmm. I haven't tried storing these yet. I use the same bins. Hmmm. If I come up with a solution, I will post. I am just ending the semester, so I will have time to catch up on all things Wings and Sails.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I too use the same art bins!! I guess this is a nice Advance Warning!!

Well, where there exist a problem one must find the solution!! So I guess when my ships arrive on Monday I will be looking for a solution!!

"Not now Dear, I'm busy trying to dock my ship!" Wonder if that will help get me out my share of the house work on Monday???
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I too use the same art bins!! I guess this is a nice Advance Warning!!

Well, where there exist a problem one must find the solution!! So I guess when my ships arrive on Monday I will be looking for a solution!!

"Not now Dear, I'm busy trying to dock my ship!" Wonder if that will help get me out my share of the house work on Monday???
    Ha! Ha! If yours is like mine, it'll probably get you A.) Slapped, B.) More chores or C.) Both A and B. LOL.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I almost forgot, she may dock the ships at an undesirable anchorage!)(

You may have to take the ship off the base and just rest it on top to get the angle needed to fit. Hopefully they are not too tall then. Not ideal since they are going to slide around a bit in the bin. I went away from the Art bins to using magnetized bases though.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    Ha! Ha! If yours is like mine, it'll probably get you A.) Slapped, B.) More chores or C.) Both A and B. LOL.
    You forgot: (D) Another Slap Just for Emphasis!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    I almost forgot, she may dock the ships at an undesirable anchorage!)(
    That might result in a Declaration of War!!!

Like that would bother her!!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I finally got my V & C ships yesterday!! After doing a quick test fit it does seem Victory will have to be assigned her very own "Dry Dock" in the case!! Of course I will need to glue a piece of wood in the bottom to keep her keel from sliding around during transits to games!!! Will also add a couple of pieces of foam along her sides! This new peg mounting could be a problem in the future using these Jo Anne cases, at least for 1st, 2nd & 3rd rates!!! May have to rethink this storage system for future waves!!!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Is it possible to cut out the plastic Ares cases and place them in the Jo-Ann cases?

Next week, I will work through some storage stuff in preparation for Origins. I will be interested to see what solutions have arisen.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Is it possible to cut out the plastic Ares cases and place them in the Jo-Ann cases?

Next week, I will work through some storage stuff in preparation for Origins. I will be interested to see what solutions have arisen.
    Eric,

Regarding use of Ares Packaging; that may be a viable option for the large 1st Rates in the Jo Anne cases, as these ships will only fit in the first 3 compartments at the front of the case! Currently I can fit two Frigates or smaller ships side by side in each of those first three spots. If those slots are used for a single ship you'll definitely want some padding of some sort to help fill the space, and prevent the ship from sliding and bouncing around in there. As far as the height of the Victory I found no problem storing it in the case either horizontally (base turned on it's side) or vertically (base down flat on bottom)!

If the "new" peg style is to be norm for future releases it will prove problematic for those of us using the Jo Anne style cases, as Kenneth mentioned, you will not be able to turn the larger ships on their bases at an angle needed to allow the ship to fit in the case compartment!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'm using the 0.3 liter Really Useful Box for Constitution (sure am glad I assumed she'd need SOL rather than Frigate storage!), and the 0.7 of same for Victory (which with the added cards has just enough to no longer fit in an 0.3 like other Brit First Rates--this size I usually use for two three-deckers each).