Thread: For M&C fans

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Default For M&C fans

Here's an attempt to show off some of my Jack Aubrey and Surprise work, sorry for the bad pics it's this pad I'm using but if you look close at the ship you'll notice I've added block and tackle to the ratlines, probably can't see it but if I can later I'll repost better pics and add ensign and pennant to the ship. My first try by the way, thanks for looking, ps, a big thank you to Jonas for the inspiration. Name:  20150516_032011.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  117.8 KB
    Name:  20150516_031435.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  123.3 KB

Looking good. Looking forward to further pics.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thanks Bobby, the pics suck, I know, but in person it's all good!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Looks good, Mark.

Keep up the fine work.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

"Thanks again, and don't forget to"..."Pull for Lucky Jack!"

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I love the movie and I'm almost done with the second book now. The bit with the bees is killing me. Also it takes a special kind of balls to press the very men coming to arrest you for debt.

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Great work Mark.
    I also love the movie David, ive just finished the third book and am about to start the mauritius command.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Looking good.
    I'm very glad to be an inspiration, but I think it must be since I'm rather new to this site too, and am the latest to post my pictures to the site. The true masters are already done.

And yes, M&C and the books are great. I would have loved to see more of his adventures on the silver screen, but I'm still content with the books and even have some as audiobooks. Great to listen to when doing other stuff.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Nice, it just looks like your camera or phone, whichever you used, is focusing on the items in the rear, instead of the foreground, so just focusing on the foreground would make these pics fantastic.

It's something that afflicts nearly 3/4 of every miniatures photo on the web for the last 20 years haha, so don't feel bad.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Chiron0224 View Post
    I love the movie and I'm almost done with the second book now. The bit with the bees is killing me. Also it takes a special kind of balls to press the very men coming to arrest you for debt.
    I really want to read the books badly, but try as I may, can't find 'em locally. I want to get the complete box set, all 22 novels I think in 4 or 5 book omnibus form. I know when I start it will be hard to put them down, that's why i'm waiting for the bread to get them. Jack and his associates are just awesome hero types that I can relate to. I know the books are just soooo much deeper in scope for the imagination than the film, though that was first rate as well, the Jack figure came from a horror board game "Touch Of Evil", gothic in nature, and set in that time period, where American Colonization is young, and I use Jack in that. The cannonball by his feet, is a fishing split shot painted black and glued to the base, with hemp cord S-rolled by that, simulating rope. Chunks of wood epoxied in, resembling deck damage, and polished off with gold bullion cord around the base representing his Captain status.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Wolves View Post
    Nice, it just looks like your camera or phone, whichever you used, is focusing on the items in the rear, instead of the foreground, so just focusing on the foreground would make these pics fantastic.

It's something that afflicts nearly 3/4 of every miniatures photo on the web for the last 20 years haha, so don't feel bad.
    I know, my tech savvy and equipment used has much to be desired, plus the trashed counter top from a weekend of the kids with their friends spending the night didn't help either. LOL.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Amazon sell a hardback omnibus set of the Aubrey/Maturin chronicles, if you can afford it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Aubre...maturin+series

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Amazon sell a hardback omnibus set of the Aubrey/Maturin chronicles, if you can afford it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Aubre...maturin+series
    Not with 4 teen girls and an 8 yr. old boy needin' summer clothes I can't! :P Not yet anyway, heh, heh.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mark, how do you like "Touch of Evil"? I was looking at some games by the publisher, thinking they might be fun to play this fall with students.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Mark, how do you like "Touch of Evil"? I was looking at some games by the publisher, thinking they might be fun to play this fall with students.
    Eric, sorry about anwering sooner. In my Opinion, Flying Frog Productions really have their s**t together!, their b-movie genre games are probably the best made and thought out board games i've ever seen or played, of any subject. The actors are cheesy, but cute, and the rule sytem is predominantly card based with unlimited customization. The atmosphere is kept creepy throughout, and gameplay rolls seamlessly. The quality of components are top of line, with the heaviest card stock, paintable miniatures, and even a mood setting cd! The music is mostly instrumental, and not that great, but the effort was there. I spent a ton on what they put out, and they threw in lots of extras, shirts, pictures signed by the cast, etc. But to answer your initial question, if Gothic 1800's setting with haunted forests, fog, creepy windmills, townsfolk with dirty little secrets, ghostships with captain and crew terrorizing the town, etc, are of interest, then this game and it's expansions are not to be missed!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Mark, that's quite the endorsement. Thanks.

I will familiarize myself with their various offerings on BGG and jump into one of their game series.

We play a wide range of games, and I have various audiences as well. You have me intrigued, especially with reference to my students (easy to envision a late Friday night game session in the fall), but also with Sue (known here as ling and is my beloved), George (CelticCat), and Colleen (CelticCat's beloved).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Mark, that's quite the endorsement. Thanks.

I will familiarize myself with their various offerings on BGG and jump into one of their game series.

We play a wide range of games, and I have various audiences as well. You have me intrigued, especially with reference to my students (easy to envision a late Friday night game session in the fall), but also with Sue (known here as ling and is my beloved), George (CelticCat), and Colleen (CelticCat's beloved).
    Yeah the beauty of the game is it's unpredictability, no two playthroughs are the same. Also, for Nautical themed play pick up THE COAST expansion, Sirens, killer mermaids, ghost ships, Kraken, it's all there with tons of possible customization. You'll like it, trust me.