Thread: To Gunner (Ed), a huge thanks!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Default To Gunner (Ed), a huge thanks!

Checks in the mail Ed, and thanks for your patience, it should get there at the beginning of the week. Keep me posted if it doesn't, I will get it to you no matter what, and thanks again. (Happy hog leggin', my Colt 45LC, needs dustin' off as well!)

You should have the deck Monday. Also included some wiz kid stuff to fill the box, dump it if you don't want them. Please let me know when the cards arrive.

A Colt 45LC eh, nice. I have a few 45's to. 1 Colt, 3 Rugers and 2 Remingtons. Too bad there aren't any Cowboy Fast Draw clubs (the most fun you can have with your boots on) in your area, I checked and 450 miles is the closest one. Too bad you live so far up the tip of MI, you're almost in Loyalist country (Canada).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    You should have the deck Monday. Also included some wiz kid stuff to fill the box, dump it if you don't want them. Please let me know when the cards arrive.

A Colt 45LC eh, nice. I have a few 45's to. 1 Colt, 3 Rugers and 2 Remingtons. Too bad there aren't any Cowboy Fast Draw clubs (the most fun you can have with your boots on) in your area, I checked and 450 miles is the closest one. Too bad you live so far up the tip of MI, you're almost in Loyalist country (Canada).
    Ha! Will do, yah i'm up here in God's Country alright, still 50's and 60's during the day, always overcast dark and rainy. Single action shooting always tickled my fancy, I come from a long line of cowboys down in Texas and my dad was half Blackfoot from bawtenaw ND. He passed when I was 3 but started mounted sheriffs posse up here in the 60's. My Grandfather was from the irish Koch family (they changed it to Cook, when they arrived in the US in the 1800's) he was a spittin image of the new Billy Bonney pics when he was young. When ever I asked him about our ole relatives of that time all he would say is "You don't want to know about them, they were just killers and thieves." No matter how hard I pressed. My relatives in Texas did the same thing when I asked, the whole place went quiet, and they just looked at me like I burnt the house down or something. Anyway a big thanks again, also my Colt is a black powder frame 5 quarter barrel nickel plated with real elephant ivory grips silver medallion , from Colts custom shop back in '85, Almost too nice to shoot, but after I got it from a guy who needed the money, and staring at it for 3 years, against my better judgement I just had too. I figured i'm not getting rid of it, pass it down to my kids. It's the finest shooting pistol I ever shot, and believe me, being an Airborne Ranger from Fort Bragg, i've shot alot. The only thing that came close was a vented 4 inch heavy shrouded Dan Wesson 44 mag my step father had (a green beret in vietnam) wow that was a fine piece! But he got rid of it while I was in the war (bummer) for a 357 DW 6 inch.

Sounds like you have an interesting family history. Too bad you can't squeeze some information out of your older relatives. Let them know there are worst things than rustlers, horse thieves and such. :

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I wish i could, most are past on now, family never was that big to start with, and only immediates were close, another lost page in the annals of history, if I can find the pics of my grandfather i'll post it with the new billy pics, you'll s**t, the resemblance is extraordinary, those old texans were two fold, strict southern baptists by day, hell raisers by night, I do know one of my great great grandmothers was a plantation owner and big wig KKK leader and I heard those stories (more or less sheriffs posse with stiffer tolerances) they went after anybody who stepped out of line colored or white, especially wife beaters, wagon train circled because of indians on migration south, and a confederate relative who beat the drum "Over miles of dead bodies", I was told. I asked my grandfather a long time ago, about the storied trip, I think he did say something about the New Mexico Territory, but back then I didn't know the significance. His dad (my Great grandfather) lived to be 99 and always wore a white Stetson short brim, I have that now, skeletons in the closet, you know.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Anyway here we go, billy....Name:  20131130__LSN-L-Billy The Kid-1201-p1.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  170.1 KB and Name:  Billythekid.gif
Views: 493
Size:  100.1 KB and my Gramps not quite the pics of his younger days but.... Name:  20150516_015952.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  81.3 KB and Name:  20150516_020348.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  75.0 KB and Name:  20150516_022358.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  88.1 KB having a heck of a time here hope this comes out I'm using a pad, and the real good pics are with my mother at her house, really looks better, he's younger in those, anyway hope you enjoy em Ed.

I'm confused, the first two pictures are of who? Since the only known picture of Billy the Kid is him standing with his Winchester 73. So the two pics are your Great Grandfather? If it is, he's a dead ringer for the kid.

Most people now know that Billy the Kid was right handed not left. The picture was reversed, you can tell because the 73's loading gate is on the wrong side..

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I'm confused, the first two pictures are of who? Since the only known picture of Billy the Kid is him standing with his Winchester 73. So the two pics are your Great Grandfather? If it is, he's a dead ringer for the kid.

Most people now know that Billy the Kid was right handed not left. The picture was reversed, you can tell because the 73's loading gate is on the wrong side..
    True, but the first is the brand new authenticated one the second one came from a lady 'acquatence' of billy. The first if googled for full pic, is Billy sitting next to Charlie Bowdry When he worked the ranch with him, it has been authenticated as the best picture of Billy by Washington DC top forensic experts, the one you're talking about was a gift Billy gave, and was recently auctioned by, get this, a rich investor named Koch from Colorado. It went for something like 75 million or something. The second one is awaiting authentication, but they say it's something like 90 percent chance authentic according to the source it was taken from and the facial forensics. The two below those two are of my Grandfather, first when he was in his 60's and the last when he was in his 80's shortly before his passing at 83, taken in '94. The pictures of him and the camera i'm using doesn't do him justice, but the second picture of Billy (yellowish) looks just like my Grandfather did in his youth (will try to get those) but the facial structure, at least to me, is strikingly similar. I wish I had those younger pics!, I could be all wet, but the way my deep south relatives were and my Grandfather as well, I think there's something there. Anyway, check out the Billy the Kid google images, they have the news files on the pages, pretty interesting! (I should clarify, the two colored pics with a man in tuxedo is my Grandfather in his 60's at my parents wedding, the one below those is my Grandfather in his 80's )
    Last edited by Mark Kaiser; 05-16-2015 at 02:11.

Will I never stop learning new things on this site.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

It's funny how we got off topic, but the reason I brought this up is the fact there was a deep dark secret my mothers southern relatives carried to their graves, about a killer on that side that was so notorious, that they wouldn't even mention it. Going through old letters my grandfather wrote as a youth (after his death), he was treated as an outcast by that side of the family, and would get beat as a little boy? We all loaded up in a truck and went down there when I was about 10 because my grandfather wanted to see his 'Dad' (my great grandfather) before he died, he was like 96. But when he got there, his Dad treated him like crap. After many years of not seeing his son, it was weird. My Grandfathers mother had long past on already, and my great grandfather was coherent and active (would go fishing everyday), and treated my mother and I good, but not his own son, my grandfather. And when I asked about our deceased relatives history, they just looked at each other and said 'Oh son, you don't need to know about that!) Even as a little kid I thought, "why not?", but something about the way they looked at each other told me not to. Then stopping by his Sisters house (my great Aunt) she said when I asked the same question, ("Little boy, you're too young to hear about them killers!") . I'm rambling I know, but just wanted to get an objective opinion from someone with some expertise on the old west.

Those were tough times in New Mexico Territory and since I've never walked a mile in their shoes, could never pass judgment.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Roger that, going through Ranger school Desert Phase at White Sands was no cake walk either, daytime was scorching hot, humping up and down those sharp rocky roads ands cliffs, and night was freezing pulling patrols in the thick sage brush, filled with thorns and rattlesnakes. One Sgt. Caught a 6 footer 10 yrds from our fart sacks (sleeping bags) he skinned it and we ate it, beautiful hide he kept. One morning for PT, this lieutenant said "Alright Rangers we're gonna run to that mountain and back." After about an hour and a half of running the mountain wasn't getting any bigger so we headed back, come to find out, what he thought was about 5 miles was actually 15! Typical lewie!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

What was it like to go through the swamp phase at Camp Rudder, FL?
    I visited one day to observe Ranger training in the late 1990s and got the full tour -- the Snake House alone was worth the trip -- but I can only imagine what it must have been like to train there.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you for sharing some of your family history, Mark. My family emigrated to the States during the first few decades of the 20th century from southern Italy, settling in Chicago. There are a few colorful stories in our family closet as well. I wish my relatives were still alive; I would record them.

there are worst things than rustlers, horse thieves and such
    Name:  cubs-fan-cheers.png
Views: 436
Size:  499.3 KB
    Last edited by 7eat51; 05-16-2015 at 15:50.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Wet, tired and hungry, always!, then at night cold,wet,tired and hungry. By that time you've lost a lot of weight, your body starts burning your muscles for food, and you can smell it in the air. Everything is a big haze, your mind starts playing tricks on you bad,ie trees walking toward you, floating pizza slices you can actually taste, your ranger buddies talk to trees, groovy stuff like that. Then comes the wildlife, especially at night, lots of guys would walk headlong into big bees nests, and get the s**t stung out of them, having to recycle, trench foot, and the low growl of gators in the dark, shining a red lens over the area, you could see pairs of eyes staring back at you, and of course, the snakes, quicksand, and chest deep water. The mascot for the phase was 'Big John', a 16 foot alligator, with a pissy disposition. SUA SPONTE (Of their own accord).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Thank for sharing some of your family history, Mark. My family emigrated to the States during the first few decades of the 20th century from southern Italy, settling in Chicago. There are a few colorful stories in our family closet as well. I wish my relatives were still alive; I would record them.

Absolutely, if we only knew where our old world relatives came from and who they were, truly tales to be told! Such a shame those personal pieces of information are lost in the seas of history.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Ed, today was like Christmas buddy, all my Litko stuff arrived, and your package with all the goodies and ability deck as well!, thank you soo much. Please let me know when your check gets there, and happy six gunnin'. -Mark

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

A piece of furniture on my Mom's side was handed down to one of my sisters. She found a rolled up piece of paper in one of the drawers and was going to cut it up for liners. I turned it over, and promptly suggested she didn't. It was a family tree dating back centuries, many centuries.

A fortunate things for us and many of my friends growing up is that our families were recent immigrants. We know a lot about where they came from. Unfortunately, we didn't capture the stories.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

A piece of furniture on my Mom's side was handed down to one of my sisters. She found a rolled up piece of paper in one of the drawers and was going to cut it up for liners. I turned it over, and promptly suggested she didn't. It was a family tree dating back centuries, many centuries.

A fortunate things for us and many of my friends growing up is that our families were recent immigrants. We know a lot about where they came from. Unfortunately, we didn't capture the stories.
    Wow, an invaluable find! Yes to be sure, the countries of origin to be known, but as you say, the stories, relatives famous or infamous in our bloodlines, ie. Vlad Tepes (Dracula) last remaining relative, is an old lady living in New York!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh, you found a pic of my older brother, then.... :P

(He's the reason I F***ing Hate Baseball -- damn the Dodgers for trading Ron Cey to Chicago....)

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

About those guns, I have an old gun I've only fired a few times. It's a Remington 44 New Model Army made in January of 1864.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    About those guns, I have an old gun I've only fired a few times. It's a Remington 44 New Model Army made in January of 1864.
    Sounds nice, however, a pistol of that caliber, and especially year could or should only take light 44 special handloads if it's cartridge fired, but if its cylinder loaded, still light diets of powder (but not too light, so as the ball gets barrel bound), and make sure each cylinder is well covered with bore grease (like mixture of petroleum jelly and bees wax) before firing so you don't set off other cylinders (spark chain ignition). A pistol, if authentically that old should only be fired after being inspected by a master gunsmith, and his OK has been given, minute frame cracks, cylinder weakages, etc. can ruin your whole day, not to mention the powder used today is a lot more powerful then that used back in the day. Most, probably all, firearms of that time used Black Powder, not Smokeless powder, and even that is alot more refined and powerful today than it was back then. In my opinion, what you have is an exquisite collectors piece that should be oiled now and again and stored unfired. If you really insist to use it though have it thoroughly inspected by someone who knows old firearms and knows what they're doing. -Mark

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I also forgot to mention that 44's of yesteryear were predominantly .44-40 caliber and .44's today are .442, the difference in diameter is slight, but can cause rifling wear, and eventual undue barrel stress, resulting in barrel failure (splitting the barrel).

Gotta love those BP Remington new models.
    I know you know but, keep it clean and keep it in the family.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Some of the Special Forces firearms courses I took put it in these terms: "What you have here is expensive wallhanger, that is just as likely to put a hole in you, as it is the target" , minus the language of course.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

It's been looked over by a gunsmith and it's an original, no cartridge conversion. It's kept clean and I will not sell it, unless to get one in an even better state, but it's very unlikely.

I have fired it mostly to have fired it. It's a very special thing to fire. I'm used to more modern firearms, having done military service, but I'm not competing in black powder shooting or anything. And yes. I used wads and wax when loading the drum.

What I haven't fired is my modern firing replica of a British sea service pistol.

Those will put a big hole in someone. Is your sea service pistol a 12" or a 9"bbl.?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

It's been looked over by a gunsmith and it's an original, no cartridge conversion. It's kept clean and I will not sell it, unless to get one in an even better state, but it's very unlikely.

I have fired it mostly to have fired it. It's a very special thing to fire. I'm used to more modern firearms, having done military service, but I'm not competing in black powder shooting or anything. And yes. I used wads and wax when loading the drum.

What I haven't fired is my modern firing replica of a British sea service pistol.
    Firearms of the Old World are truly works of art no doubt, but do to age they can develop stress fractures in the steel that can't be seen with the naked eye, carbon destructuring if you will. That will eventually give, sometimes a little, sometimes alot. I've had it happen to new firearms as well at Fort Bragg Rod and Gun Club, my Ruger BlackHawk .357 mag six'er cracked about a half inch internally from the firing pin hole to the cylinder rotator housing, I didn't even notice it till I got back to the barracks and started cleaning it. Factory ammo was used, but there I sat with my team staring at me in bewilderment. Just be careful Jonas, maybe not the fifth shot or the fifttieth, but eventually it will turn into a hand held pipe bomb. I have an 1852 Horstman Naval Officers Saber, it is beautiful, and I'd love to slice some melons with it (fruit, not heads, well maybe those too.) But i'm not going to take the chance. Be safe, -Mark

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Thank you for the advice.

Here they are, by the way.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  113.6 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thank you for the advice.

Here they are, by the way.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  113.6 KB
    Wow! Beautiful sidearms!, If they could talk eh? Yeah, I would keep them good and clean and oiled inside and out, and put them in a nice presentation box made of fine wood with velvet lining, put an anti oxidizing packet (little white packet at the bottom of beef jerkey packages) at the bottom of the box, and you're good to go! Definitely make sure all salt from fingers has been wiped and oiled away especially the trigger and housing. Absolutely fantastic museum quality pieces you have there! Thanks for sharing Jonas!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Here be me saber, Name:  20150518_173855.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  114.8 KB the scabbard and grip are sharkskin. And structurally it's sound.

From the looks of them, you're well versed in maintaining your weapons Jonas (as long as the inside looks as good). What beauties. I can feel my adrenal glands working overtime.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

From the looks of them, you're well versed in maintaining your weapons (as long as the inside looks as good). What beauties. I can feel my adrenal glands working overtime.
    Hey Ed!, please tell me your check arrived. Same goes for me, what fine sidearms!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Beautiful sabre!

I was voluntary youth military at the age of 15. I learned early to clean the weapon I had fired to pass inspection by doing it thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    Hey Ed!, please tell me your check arrived. Same goes for me, what fine sidearms!
    Not yet, I'll tell you when it does.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Beautiful sabre!

I was voluntary youth military at the age of 15. I learned early to clean the weapon I had fired to pass inspection by doing it thoroughly.
    A little trick we did in the U.S. Army for those stringent paratrooper inspections was a toothbrush and shaving cream, after scrubbing thoroughly, hot shower off residue, wipe dry and oil. Worked flawlessly, Cut all carbon deposits in every nook and cranny.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Beautiful pieces, Gentlemen.

Mark, when did you serve? I noticed a comment you made about A-10s.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Beautiful pieces, Gentlemen.

Mark, when did you serve? I noticed a comment you made about A-10s.
    Fom 90-95 US Army Airborne, Rangers, and 10 SFG attachment, Iraq, Turkey, South Africa, and all through Europe.

The check arrived today. Thanks.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Fom 90-95 US Army Airborne, Rangers, and 10 SFG attachment, Iraq, Turkey, South Africa, and all through Europe.
    Thank you for your service.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

The check arrived today. Thanks.
    Thank You!, For the trust and patience. If only the world acted accordingly.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Thank you for your service.
    Much appreciated. In my youth, I was a wild bas***d, to be sure, but believe me, it has taken it's toll on my health, as well as over a pound of flesh and bone.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I noticed a comment you made about A-10s.
    All Hail the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT. >;)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In my youth, I was a wild bas***d
    For the first 30 years of my life, the world was a dark place. Then one day I realized I was living with my head up my backside.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

For the first 30 years of my life, the world was a dark place. Then one day I realized I was living with my head up my backside.
    Mine was obstructed at the bottom of a brown bottle (especially after service), now I'm a shell of the man I once was, a pain-stricken veteran vicoden chewer raising 5 kids and finding it's the little things in life that make the difference. :)

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The older I get, the truer your words ring, Mark.

It will be nice sailing these seas with you, Brother.