Thread: Broadside Game -could not resist!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Broadside Game -could not resist!

Saw this and just had to have it! I figured I could always use my old Pirates card ships if I had to, but it came "complete"!

Inside . . .

Lid top directions . . . and then the "bits"

And the game board!

Now to find a victim or other player . . .

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Nice! Boy old Milton Bradley made some nice games back in the day. I have one from them called "Broadsides and Boarding Parties", it's in rough shape now but it was a blast! Very intricate (crew minis, captains, etc.) Will more than likely use parts for SOG.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank looks like a good 'buy', David.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Gina

Ohhhhh, I just about wore this game out when I was a little salt.
    It was my very first wargame, although I didn't know it would hook me into a lifetime hobby.
    My favorite thing was to put my eye at tabletop level, mid-battle, and see the forest of masts as the fleets locked in combat.
    Did your copy come with the original little history booklet?
    That was a beautiful little American Heritage publication, full of period art and right up there with content in, say, S&T Magazine in the 80s or Battles Magazine today.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yikes! No booklet : ) Any one have a copy printed or digital?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

If you get the chance check out "Broadsides and boarding Parties", alot like SOG but you also get 2 large ships 12" with removable mast sections and crew and captains miniatures for each ship (for boarding actions and cannon fire) also miniature cannons that go aboard each ship. Think snap together large scale ship models minus rigging. Probably would cost a fortune on ebay today, but movement was card and miniature ship based as well along with windage. Large scale models were for determining damage aboard and crew fighting, it was a blast!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Man! Do I remember my brother and I playing the heck out that game back in our younger days!! He got "Broadsides" and I got the ACW one "Battle Cry", I think it was, for Christmas! Don't even remember what other toys we got, as we spent months playing those two games day after day! Still had them when I went off to the Navy, then my Mom turned them over to my nephews and I never saw them again!! I never let her forget how many toys and games of mine she gave to those two little devils, and they did their best to destroy every one!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Man! Do I remember my brother and I playing the heck out that game back in our younger days!! He got "Broadsides" and I got the ACW one "Battle Cry", I think it was, for Christmas! Don't even remember what other toys we got, as we spent months playing those two games day after day! Still had them when I went off to the Navy, then my Mom turned them over to my nephews and I never saw them again!! I never let her forget how many toys and games of mine she gave to those two little devils, and they did their best to destroy every one!!
    Yep those little ("well you don't need it anymores') really took there toll upon PCS ing didn't they? I wish I at least had the money from those little nostalgic golden nuggets that ended in the trash or someones hands that didn't have a clue!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yep, that was a fun one. She looks in good condition, Dave.

I just downloaded a pdf of the rules for you. They're in an email.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    Now to find a victim or other player . . .
    No point -- if that's the First Edition, like I think it is (I can't quite read the instructions), it's the "broken" edition, where the Blue Side Always Wins.

How To Tell Which Edition It Is: Look at the rules for the red dots -- if the rules say "you cannot end a turn here", it's the "broken" edition.

How Is It "Broken"? Follow:

The rules do not allow a movement to end on a red or yellow dot. The rules also allow Blue* to set up his cannons and obstructions as he sees fit.

[*: If memory serves: The game has Red and Blue backwards -- Red is trying to get into the harbor, while Blue defends; so Red gets the 25-mast-total force, while Blue gets the 20-mast-total force. What follows is based around Red attacking with 25 while Blue defends with 20.]

Blue should set up his cannon and obstructions as follows: All three "SUNK" buoys, and both "HIT" cannons, placed on the right-hand passage (the one closest to the Red starting zone; all three "PASS" buoys, and both "MISS" cannons, on the left passage. Blue's ships should be placed thus: Three Schooners in the three Blue Starting Positions in line with the Left Passage (1st, 2nd, and 3rd from left, top row); two frigates in line with the passages around the yellow dots (2nd, and 6th from right, top row). How Red sets up does not matter.

Movements: If Red's first move is either of the two ships in the first row, 1st or 2nd from left, the following occurs:

-- If the ship is moved from 1st-left, it crosses both cannon spaces, losing two masts automatically;
    -- If the first move is 2nd-left, it crosses the right-most cannon space, losing one mast automatically;
    -- Subsequent movement through the yellow dots sinks the ship.

Whichever is the case, Blue's first move is to bring down the Frigate to the right choke-point of the Right Passage; both Red and Blue lose one mast. Blue's second move is to bring down the Frigate to block the left choke-point -- if Red's second move is to move to the other choke-point, the Frigate will be adjacent to one of the obstructions, losing a mast; otherwise, it will be the next row down, blocking the left choke-point, and forcing any Red ships to automatically lose a mast. At this point, the Right Passage is blocked -- Red ships cannot move through Blue ships; the obstructions are a guaranteed kill; and the cannons and ships effectively kill any Red ship which passes the cannons (Schooners cannot get through at all; Brigs can get in past the single-hit spaces, but are sunk trying to get out; Frigates might be able to get out, but cannot get back in without being sunk; Ships-of-the-Line have the same problem as Frigates). Blue's subsequent movements involve either bringing more Frigates and Brigs to the Right Passage choke-points, or moving the three Schooners down to the spaces between the cannon-spaces and obstruction-spaces of the Left Passage (they can move through the yellow dots safely, of course), blocking Red's passage (and since it takes at least two moves for Red to get a ship over there, Blue will always "get there first").

In the end, Red might be able to sink one or two of Blue's ships, but will run out of masts long before Blue does. Thus, Blue Wins Every Time.

I've never been able to find a "2nd edition" to compare it with, but IIRC boardgamegeek's picture gallery for this game shows the "fixed" rules.

(I played this game a lot in elementary school -- I even had a standing wager: "I win, you give me $1; you win, you get $20". Even had a $20 on me, to bring the suckers in. I made something like $100 off those nozzle-heads; never once lost a battle. >:) )

I had a copy when in my youth prior to my introduction to much more complex wargames. The game was as about as simple as games come. Looking back, it seems like you could create your own simple rule set that would add a bit more complexity to the game particularly in regard to movement and firepower.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I had a copy when in my youth prior to my introduction to much more complex wargames. The game was as about as simple as games come. Looking back, it seems like you could create your own simple rule set that would add a bit more complexity to the game particularly in regard to movement and firepower.
    Yeah -- to fix the damage problem, put the cannons and obstructions in bags; then draw as needed.

I skipped over this one and went right to "Wooden Ships & Iron Men".

I've seen this game on clearance at Miniature Market for quite some time. Reminds me a little bit of Broadside in its visual appearance.

Name:  wog075.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  67.9 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

Cool, good find Bobby, I wonder if the event cards could be integrated into SOG? Did you pick it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kaiser View Post
    Did you pick it up?
    I passed on it. I have more stuff right now than I have time and room for.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

I passed on it. I have more stuff right now than I have time and room for.
    I hear ya, same here.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper1701 View Post
    Yikes! No booklet : ) Any one have a copy printed or digital?
    I looked around over at BGG.com and couldn't find a PDF of the booklet you are looking for. Sounds like a job for those elves of yours. I do have a copy of the rules PDF if you would like a copy of that David.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Cmmdre View Post
    I looked around over at BGG.com and couldn't find a PDF of the booklet you are looking for. Sounds like a job for those elves of yours. I do have a copy of the rules PDF if you would like a copy of that David.
    Thanks! Eric had a PDF of the instructions which is all I need for now, the elves are a bit busy with a Zeppelin production order of 14 . . .

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

In case anyone needs them, I uploaded a .pdf of the rules here: http://sailsofglory.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=145
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato