Thread: American Revolution or War of 1812?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Default American Revolution or War of 1812?

An interesting question that was posed on TMP got me thinking on this, so thought it a good topic for discussion. Now if one thinks in terms of only land engagements the AWI would probably be the preferred choice. Although, during the War of 1812 the U. S. actually attempted at least three separate invasions of both Lower and Upper Canada with each ending in favor of the British/Canadian forces. During the Revolution we only made one real attempt at invading with disastrous results.

Here I would propose thinking in only naval terms; and not with just SoG in mind, so if you could only choose one of them, which period would you choose to build forces for and game?
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

War of 1812. One of my problems with SOG is that most of its ships fit the Revolutionary period or very early Napoleonic period better than the later Napoleonic period and the War of 1812.

There is one more period you left out, the Quasi-War / First Barbary War. Along with Constitution, I have assembled a fleet for this period using repaints. Other nations ships match this period better than the War of 1812.
    Last edited by Coog; 05-13-2015 at 21:30.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

This is a very good post, in my opinion, SOG would do well to include all periods of warfare in the age of sail, little by little. Going backwards and forwards in time periods. From pirates of the west indies(Caribbean) and Barbary Coast, to eventually Civil naval engagements with steam ships and early submarines. Though I feel the best way to handle this would be slowly, tapping the current era of releases dry, using scenario booklets with forward passages detailing the history of said engagements, ships involved, captains, crew, outcome, and dates. A sort of interactive history lesson, if you will, with the outcome decided by you, based on player skill and luck. Also include rules for solo play for each scenario given.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Nice ideas but based on the current release rate don't hold your breath for anything outside the current time period covered

Anyway, as far as the original question is concerned - tempted to say Revolutionary War as one of my rellies from the dim and distant past was driving a frigate at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    ...tempted to say Revolutionary War as one of my rellies from the dim and distant past was driving a frigate at the time.
    For the Rebels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ma...naval_officer)

Name:  john_manley.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  16.7 KB

John Manley
    Last edited by Coog; 05-13-2015 at 23:24.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mark

My kind of Cap'n!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

CO of the fastest ship on the coast of North America

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For me AWI, would like to do the Suffron/ Hughes clashes

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

CO of the fastest ship on the coast of North America
    Is that a short way of saying he had a fast ship to go in harm's way?

Of course, as I recall he was one of the best Captains in the Continental Navy, but didn't garner the fame and renown of that distant member of my family tree named, Jones!!

I also, had the pleasure of serving on one of the ships named for him! I almost miss those days!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    I also, had the pleasure of serving on one of the ships named for him! I almost miss those days!
    I'm guessing DD-940 rather than APD-1

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Nice ideas but based on the current release rate don't hold your breath for anything outside the current time period covered
    Or for a great deal of what's within the current "window of coverage."

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I'm guessing DD-940 rather than APD-1
    Yep, it was old DD-940 though it was only a short stint, as they sent me to her to start the decommissioning process in '83! I was with her for about 8 months then moved on to a long over due shore tour! My wife wasn't real happy about it, but she got over it eventually!!

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    War of 1812. One of my problems with SOG is that most of its ships fit the Revolutionary period or very early Napoleonic period better than the later Napoleonic period and the War of 1812.

There is one more period you left out, the Quasi-War / First Barbary War. Along with Constitution, I have assembled a fleet for this period using repaints. Other nations ships match this period better than the War of 1812.
    Coog,

I kind of forgot about the Quasi and First Barbary War! I know there were a few really good actions against the French during the Quasi War, that I don't think they ever really forgave us for either!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    Yep, it was old DD-940 though it was only a short stint, as they sent me to her to start the decommissioning process in '83! I was with her for about 8 months then moved on to a long over due shore tour! My wife wasn't real happy about it, but she got over it eventually!!
    When I see a destroyer of that era built in the 50's, I think of the movie "The Bedford Incident." The destroyer depicted in that movie was a Farragut class.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

"If he fires one I'll fire one"

Oops!

Of course the best "Oops"

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

For me, I would take War of 1812. I have read far more on it, and I would enjoy introducing that piece of history to my students, friends, and folks at the FLGS.

Interestingly, though, I picked up Academy Game's wargame of the AWI instead of 1812 - based on reviews of mechanics.

I have not seen The Bedford Incident. I will look for it; I want to watch a lot of war movies this summer.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    For me, I would take War of 1812. I have read far more on it, and I would enjoy introducing that piece of history to my students, friends, and folks at the FLGS.

Interestingly, though, I picked up Academy Game's wargame of the AWI instead of 1812 - based on reviews of mechanics.

I have not seen The Bedford Incident. I will look for it; I want to watch a lot of war movies this summer.
    I played both the "1775" game, and the "1812" game you speak of when a buddy bought them both at a show a year or so ago. we decided the "1775" was a far better game then the "1812" game even though are designed in the same mold! Some of the mechanics in the "1812" game seemed to fumble the play of the game the way we saw it!

However, when it comes to the Naval aspect, I personally enjoy the War of 1812 over the AWI due to the variety of ships and various actions that occurred during that conflict! They really provide a challenge to each side where as the AWI period seems to be just a bridge for the larger fleet style actions between the 7YW and the Napoleonic Wars at sea!
    Last edited by John Paul; 05-18-2015 at 01:27.