Thread: wind attitude question

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

Default wind attitude question

Can red border cards be chosen or you can only play them as a replacement of a regular card when ship’s attitude to the wind is taken aback?

I explain myself a little bit more. This is the situation what concerns me:

Turn 1: Player plays a sharp turn and ends up with his ship taken aback – say wind comes straight from the front part of the base.
    Turn 2: planned maneuver was a ‘straight’ (#5) so it’s replaced it for the ‘straight’ card with red border, ship moves ahead (using the one sandglass line)
    Turn 3: … now what? Player knows the ship will still be ‘taken aback’ with wind coming straight from the front of the base…. Should the captain play a ‘straight-red-card’ again? Or can he play a red-card with a turn to either side (using the second-sandglass maneuver) – maneuvering to change the ship into a better wind’s attitude?
    Note that if the player cannot plan a ‘red-turn’ the ship will be taken aback forever – unless wind changes.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The player should play a normal turn card, say #7, and then when revealed exchange it for the red border 6+ card.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Does not the second red card usually change the sips heading sufficiently to take it out of the eye of the wind?
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

There's a straight ahead (or taken straight back) among them too and I've had first rates taking two red cards to turn through the wind. Those British first rates have a lot of red on their cards.

2nd Lieutenant
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

We usually swap the planned manoeuvre with the equivalent red one, in the following turn we allow choice of '2 hourglass' red card as we assume the crew are adjusting sails and turning the rudder.
    It seems to play quite well.
    Last edited by Herkybird; 04-27-2015 at 14:05. Reason: Typo!

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    The player should play a normal turn card, say #7, and then when revealed exchange it for the red border 6+ card.
    This sounds like a fine solution. Thanks.
    Is that what the rule-book actually says? (I coudn't find it reading it)

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    This sounds like a fine solution. Thanks.
    Is that what the rule-book actually says? (I coudn't find it reading it)
    yes that's the rule. Every turn, no matter what your situation, you plan a new standard maneuver card. Then when it is revealed, if you are taken aback, you replace with the corresponding red card.

So, if you think you *might* be taken aback, you should plan a maneuver that will end up with the best red card for your circumstances

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Does not the second red card usually change the sips heading sufficiently to take it out of the eye of the wind?
    Bligh.
    Not if you planed cards with a veer value of 5.

If you do so the wind will push you back the whole time until you play a card with aonther veer value.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Can red border cards be chosen or you can only play them as a replacement of a regular card when ship’s attitude to the wind is taken aback?

I explain myself a little bit more. This is the situation what concerns me:

Turn 1: Player plays a sharp turn and ends up with his ship taken aback – say wind comes straight from the front part of the base.
    Turn 2: planned maneuver was a ‘straight’ (#5) so it’s replaced it for the ‘straight’ card with red border, ship moves ahead (using the one sandglass line)
    Turn 3: … now what? Player knows the ship will still be ‘taken aback’ with wind coming straight from the front of the base…. Should the captain play a ‘straight-red-card’ again? Or can he play a red-card with a turn to either side (using the second-sandglass maneuver) – maneuvering to change the ship into a better wind’s attitude?
    Note that if the player cannot plan a ‘red-turn’ the ship will be taken aback forever – unless wind changes.
    You never plan red cards.

Those red cards only shows what happened when the ship is taken aback with your planed maneuver (position of the rudder).

According to your planed veer values/maneuver your ship is taken aback. The maneuver with the first glas is played only once. As long as your ship is taken aback after this maneuver, you have to take the maneuver with the two glasses.

So if your Captain in your example plans from turn 3 only maneuvers with a veer value of 5, his ship will be pushed back the whole time.

The moment he plans and executes a maneuver with a 6+ or 4- veer value (changes the position of the rudder to the left or right), he uses the two glass maneuver of the fitting red card maneuver.

Ordinary Seaman
    Argentina

Log Entries
    Name
    Ezekiel

thanks about your answers guys :)