Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Actual Length of a Turn

Has anybody come up with an "official" length for a turn? I did some loose math based on movement, and got about 30 seconds, but my results could be easily challenged.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

I would argue more about 1 min (in that you fire every other turn, and it generally took about two minutes, give or take a little, to load and fire a cannon).

I'm pretty sure that any attempt to discern a consistent time/space scale in SGN will only lead to frustration and disappointment...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

It's best to think of a game turn as a variable length of time, fairly short, not too long, but not a certain measure of time! Otherwise you may give yourself a migraine!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's my thinking: These boats are 1/1000 scale, so a if we go with a nautical mile of 6000 feet (open to some debate, but keeping the math simple), then a boat traveling at 6 knots moves 7.2 inches in a minute. I figured 6 knots as a good average speed for combat. Apparently under regular sailing conditions, 12 knots was hauling some butt. A ship base is 3", and if you are moving, that and a little bit more is the minimum you can move. So that's how I get roughly 30 seconds a turn. If you picture your ships moving faster, the length of a turn gets shorter.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

That is definitely very logical, but does not square with the shot every other turn. Rate of fire for most of these guns was about 1.5-2 min per shot.

And of course, most battles lasted more than 10-20 min (which would be 20-40 30 sec turns)

As far as I'm concerned, the length of a turn is how long it takes the players to complete the turn, or 1/3 of a beer, which ever is more agreeable to everyone

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I take the point of view that it is a game and therefore does not have to be a historically accurate simulation in every detail.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

indeed, if you try to rationalise timescale/groundscale/model scale/typical engagement length etc. for most wargames it is a route to madness

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    indeed, if you try to rationalise timescale/groundscale/model scale/typical engagement length etc. for most wargames it is a route to madness
    Hear, hear

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I take the point of view that it is a game and therefore does not have to be a historically accurate simulation in every detail.
    And don't get me wrong David, looking for ways to make a game historically accurate makes the game more enjoyable for many and should be encouraged. But not to the tune of 'their coming to take me away ha ha, ho,ho'.(For those of you old enough to remember the song)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

NOT NICE, Ed! You just gave me flashbacks to one of my Psych classes... I used to torture the poor prof with that song almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    NOT NICE, Ed! You just gave me flashbacks to one of my Psych classes... I used to torture the poor prof with that song almost daily.
    One radio station played that song every day at the same time while I was driving to work, helping me to put up with anything.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    (For those of you old enough to remember the song)
    You don't have to be old to remember that song. I remember it and I'm not old. I might be in denial, though.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Everybody's wrong. The length of a turn in SGN is based on how many broadsides a british SOL can deliver. At their Napoleonic height, British ships could deliver one broadside every two to four minutes. The french could usually get off one in those same 4 minutes. The whole idea of waiting every other turn to fire is predicated on that assumption. So, one turn is equal to two minutes actual time.

And don't get me wrong David, looking for ways to make a game historically accurate makes the game more enjoyable for many and should be encouraged. But not to the tune of 'their coming to take me away ha ha, ho,ho'.(For those of you old enough to remember the song)
    How many have ever heard the whole series of songs? Here's all four in order:

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Doctor Demento deserves this nation's highest civilian honor for duty above and beyond. I salute him.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I've met Dr. D. -- he was at the Reno Worldcon. I had to explain to him what I mean by "Grandma Songs" -- "the sort of song which under absolutely *no* circumstances your Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother should *ever* hear; yet whose playing will inevitably cause said grandma to barge into one's room without knocking".

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

As far as I'm concerned, the length of a turn is how long it takes the players to complete the turn, or 1/3 of a beer, which ever is more agreeable to everyone
    That makes a great deal of sense to me, and is the best means of timing a turn! It's sort of like a liquid sextant!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    That makes a great deal of sense to me, and is the best means of timing a turn! It's sort of like a liquid sextant!!
    And after the 12th turn (using the 1/3 rule) even if you're losing you feel good. And you don't get that brass aftertaste

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    How many have ever heard the whole series of songs? Here's all four in order:
    FOUR?! I knew about the original, "I'm Glad They Took You Away" and "They're Coming To Get Me Again," but there being a fourth is news to me.

FOUR?! I knew about the original, "I'm Glad They Took You Away" and "They're Coming To Get Me Again," but there being a fourth is news to me.
    It's just the first played backwards, the last song on the album.

However if you're a glutton for punishment, here is the entire album of their...best???:

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I've met Dr. D. -- he was at the Reno Worldcon. I had to explain to him what I mean by "Grandma Songs" -- "the sort of song which under absolutely *no* circumstances your Texas-Church-of-Christ-attending paternal grandmother should *ever* hear; yet whose playing will inevitably cause said grandma to barge into one's room without knocking".
    Doctor Demento discovered Weird Al Yankovic back in the 80's when he was an architecture student and singing in bathrooms and stairwells to get the echo effect. His dad (Frank) was a great accordion player and would have approved of everything Al has accomplished, carrying on his legacy. Google Frankie Yankovic.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kentop View Post
    His dad (Frank) was a great accordion player and would have approved of everything Al has accomplished, carrying on his legacy. Google Frankie Yankovic.
    Um -- frankie Yankovic and "Weird Al" Yankovic are *NOT* related in any way whatever.

http://www.al-oholicsanonymous.com/faq/#frankie

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Remind me that if I ever end up hosting French as a houseguest, I'm to lock down *ALL* audio equipment...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Remind me that if I ever end up hosting French as a houseguest, I'm to lock down *ALL* audio equipment...
    Two Words: "Boom Box".

(And my truck has a CD player. >;) )

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

IT'S A GAME !!!! With really cool minis, so enjoy it .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Loki 13 View Post
    IT'S A GAME !!!! With really cool minis, so enjoy it .
    I'd almost forgotten that Steven.

Now they're going to send me ships again, Ho ho har har.

The Post man comes in his nice blue coat, and puts them in my box, har har ho ho te hee.
    Etc, ad infinitum.
    Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-21-2015 at 12:41.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steven

CHEERS !!! Rob