Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WHEN DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR V&C? WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THEM?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    If Keith receives his shipment this or next week it looks like once again, there will be no winner.
    Seems I can't give one away.
    Give them to me -- I've been proven right repeatedly on this one....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Give them to me -- I've been proven right repeatedly on this one....
    I wish you had picked a date, then we all would know when Keith will get them

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Eric.

Fred, I have a sneaking suspicion that the Spanish ships will re-use French decks (B for the 74s, F for the three-deckers), with Artesien and Portland getting J and K. Don't hold me to that, it's just a best guess.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Name:  waiting.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  29.5 KB

DB, do you have an educated guess when they might ship Wave 3

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Only in your dream and mine--sometime 2016 is all that's been let out, and Keith is more in the loop on the Distro side, David, JM and I more Dev--they keep things kinda "compartmentalized".

That's not much help. I'm still waiting for Keith's answer on wave 2 ratlines.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

In other words, other than "2016", we're as Kept In Condition Mushroom as you are--and frankly, I'm starting to have reservations about having our names attached to the project if all we're there to do is "here's the sculpt and the names we've chosen, sign off or find us some alternatives."

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is good to hear that the models are finally arriving.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

DB,

Don't surrender! Don't give up the ship! It's better for you guys to stay on the inside to help keep them on the straight and narrow if nothing else!!

Your combined efforts ARE appreciated by those of us here in the "pond" if no where else!!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I didn't say a word about "quitting," only about having my name in the credits.

They sent us some concept paint schemes for the Portlands today, and while I can't talk about details I can say that I liked what I saw.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh great! Now I will have to do this whole thing of waiting for ships I really want, all over again... and I haven't even received V & C yet.

What were the mast thicknesses on these models? More akin to series 1, or thinner like series 2?

If you haven't received a shipping notice, don't give up hope, it still might already be in transit. It appears mine was shipped out on Thursday, but UPS MyChoice didn't send anything until today...

On an unrelated note, Ares updated the PDF with point values:
    http://www.aresgames.eu/11269

Got mine in yesterday, never did get a shipping notice though. All in one piece, plus the 2 corrected wooden rulers. To echo others - very nice packaging including an insert with special rules for captains. Connie's masts look similar to the Hebe sculpts. I still can't get past the set spritsails (x2 on Vic) which were rarely used by 1812, minor gripe though.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the news about the new point value list, Fred. It is interesting to see that the U.S.S. Constitution is rated as almost as tough as some earlier 74's.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    If you haven't received a shipping notice, don't give up hope, it still might already be in transit. It appears mine was shipped out on Thursday, but UPS MyChoice didn't send anything until today...

On an unrelated note, Ares updated the PDF with point values:
    http://www.aresgames.eu/11269
    Thanks for the heads up on the point values Fred

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Guess what just arrived!!!!!
    Trust the Admiral to get first divs.
    Bligh.

Time to quit buying ships and save for this,

http://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034...appinstalled=0

Got my Constitution today. I was a bit worried as the box was partially crushed but everything was OK inside. The firepower numbers do go up from 1797 to 1812 versions, reflecting the change to carronades on the spar deck. I am believing that the range of the armament is not being considered, only the weight of the shot, when calculating firepower numbers. If this is so, it should be a bit easier to come up with firepower numbers for custom ships created.

It would be good to know which Constitution variant is the better proxy for which dates in between, and whether Congress and President followed similar timelines...

I got my wife one and she blew out the roof of the car while answering the phone. I can only imagine how dangerous texting while driving could be!

Well now that Coog said the stagecoach made it as far as Texas, Arizona should be another two day ride.

Well now that Coog said the stagecoach made it as far as Texas, Arizona should be another two day ride.
    I don't know. I've heard those two pirates, Chris and DB, are waiting on their prairie schooner to overtake the stage, board her, and seize her cargo since they know what treasure is on board.

Name:  Oldwestwindwagon.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  18.2 KB

With any luck we'll have easterly winds through Thursday to assure an uneventful trip for the stage.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

[QUOTE=Gunner;46541]Time to quit buying ships and save for this,

/QUOTE]

I'm going for the Carronade version for all my ships.
    Bligh.

Definitely looks like Ares is going with throw-weight and not much else on stats... pile on the carronades!

So would the early Constitution be a pretty close proxy for the razeed Indefatigable?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Oh! Oh! Look at my wild guess for stats in this old thread!

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...-Indefatigable

I'm a little impressed that I still think that those stats, that was outrageously strange with 9 boxes each of hull and crew and fire power guessed from weight of broadside including carronades, actually works pretty well with the new Constitution stats. I'd lower the fire power a little here and there, but it's pretty good guess I'd say.

And I might use two actions for the last but one box of crew damage. Those usually are kept constant within the same category of ships, that I would say they both are.
    Last edited by TexaS; 04-15-2015 at 12:00.

I would like to see what Ares would have for the stats of the 1812 USS President and USS United States since they had 42 pound carronades instead of the 32 pounders of USS Constitution. If they are basing firepower numbers on weight of shot only, you would probably see even greater firepower numbers for them.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that after a flirtation with the 42 pounder Carronades, most nations gave up with them as too unwieldy and slow to load.
    Bligh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that after a flirtation with the 42 pounder Carronades, most nations gave up with them as too unwieldy and slow to load.
    Bligh.
    I know the United States continued to use them on their new 44 gun frigates built in 1814. The British fourth rates being built during and after the War of 1812, such as Leander, Newcastle, and Isis, were still being armed with them. I know the Southampton class frigates had their 42 pounder carronades replaced by 32 pounder carronades sometime around the late 1820s but I don't know if this was to offset their 24 pounder long guns being increased to 32 pounder long guns.

Received! (side note: the amount of packaging people are putting around these ships these days is amazing...)

Constitution is a big ship!

Her sailing characteristics are interesting. She is pretty slow, and hardly outpaces a 2 decker, and seems to have a marginally larger running zone. On the other hand, she can go a lot closer to the wind, almost as good as the smaller frigates, and she has the best reaching angle in the game. The card deck is like the Hebe frigates, except with one of the 1s and 9s dropped out, so if you're playing two-card movement planning then she can't sustain a maximum turn...

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is an interesting deck!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Mine arrived today, April 15 -- singularly appropriate, as this has been an Extremely Taxing Project....

"Video or MIME type not supported."

Received one (Constitution & 3 combat rulers) of two packages sent. Maybe those two highwaymen DB & Chris did catch the stage with their wind wagon

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Still waiting for mine to get across the Rockies and the Cascades... no tracking number received here either.

I never did received a tracking#

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Received! (side note: the amount of packaging people are putting around these ships these days is amazing...).
    You have that right. They could easily fit in their Wave 1 or 2 packages. But I guess they think the larger package looks more impressive.

Almost forgot to make a comment on the Constitution. An improved peg to make a tighter and flatter marriage to the base. The ships boats on the sides add to the looks. And I like the cutouts on the upper deck gun ports.(I wish the cutouts were a wee bit little larger on the ports behind the masts so I could more easily run some of the rigging through them. Overall a much improved ship.

PS Also, the masts feel very strong.
    Last edited by Gunner; 04-15-2015 at 17:47.

The ships boats on the sides add to the looks.
    I am thinking of making some hoists for the boats on the side, as well as positioning them a bit further astern, and adding a third that hangs over the stern. The stern boat was something that was characteristic of American ships. Also, I will definitely paint all the boats white.

Name:  depositphotos_21137067-Model-of-the-historic-ship-USS-Constitution.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  152.0 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 04-15-2015 at 18:35.

So what are the white bits on the stern of Victory?

Are you talking about the stern chasers?

PS Also, the masts feel very strong.
    I agree the masts were improved. I hope this is a good omen for future releases. Secure packaging is great, but provides no protection on the gaming table.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Mine hit Remote Storage yesterday, won't be able to inspect and fully take delivery and in-process until Tuesday night though.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Has anyone used H.M.S. Victory or U.S.S. Constitution in a battle yet?

My intent has been to get the first aar posted but work has been a bi*** so we'll see...

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Has anyone received them who is not over in the States ?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Mine arrived yesterday.

Victory is a heck of a good sailer--in basic game will play like Temeriere class third-rates; in advanced just a slight tick down from them, because of limited number of sharp turn cards

- speed is equivalent to Temeriere = fastest first-rate
    - does not have the game-worst sailing angles of the British first rates, but rather the angles of a Ocean class and third-rates
    - like third-rates, but unlike other first-rates, deck includes 2 & 8 cards. But only ONE of each. Still a big advantage because the gap between 2/8 and 3/7 is pretty meaningful

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Which is very appropriate, because Victory is basically an enlarged Morineau 1744 Invincible (remember, the same ancestor as Bellona and her relatives?) French 74 with an extra gun-deck. While your typical British three-decker was relatively a slow, plodding floating fortress, Victory and her near-sisters were basically 74s pumped full of anabolic steroids and growth hormones, to put it in a nutshell.