Thread: Magical Reefs?

Question Magical Reefs?

So if I read this right from page 43:

If, due to it's chosen maneuver, a ship would move so that, at the end of the movement, its base overlaps a reef terrain element, movement is not executed in the normal way.
    If I sail entirely across the reef in one move, so that none of my base remains in contact with it at the end of the move, I can cross it with no effect. It's only if I end up with any of my base on or touching the reef marker that I suffer damage and risk grounding...?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Makes no sense to me either--I'd prefer a mechanic where the Reef has a rating and you have to draw against that rating at a penalty increasing by size of ship to avoid taking damage or being stranded like USS Philadelphia.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

The rule is written in the same vain as two ships contacting each other, as it only counts if both end movement still in contact. It's consistent with the other movement rules, although quirky and does leave one scratching your head! Though if you've ever run over a reef at sea . . .
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Indeed - it's not an issue per see - just a quirky observation I just made...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I think the ideas discussed in "More interesting shoals" in the house rules have merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I think the ideas discussed in "More interesting shoals" in the house rules have merit.
    More Interesting Shoals Thread

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Running aground on a shoal seems to have been fairly well dealt with, but I feel that a reef is a different kettle of fish entirely. Ships can have their bottoms ripped out on a reef or the shock of impact can cause masts to go by the board, so we really need rules to cover these effects as well.
    Maybe the original rule was intended to mean that if you ended a move on a reef you had grounded but if you ended your move after crossing it you had enough draught to clear it on the tide or found a channel between the higher points.
    Bligh.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    The rule is written in the same vain as two ships contacting each other, as it only counts if both end movement still in contact. It's consistent with the other movement rules, although quirky and does leave one scratching your head! Though if you've ever run over a reef at sea . . .
    "Teleport successful!"--Protoss Scout starfighter pilot, StarCraft

Or not, in the latter case... LOL

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Running aground on a shoal seems to have been fairly well dealt with, but I feel that a reef is a different kettle of fish entirely. Ships can have their bottoms ripped out on a reef or the shock of impact can cause masts to go by the board, so we really need rules to cover these effects as well.
    Maybe the original rule was intended to mean that if you ended a move on a reef you had grounded but if you ended your move after crossing it you had enough draught to clear it on the tide or found a channel between the higher points.
    Bligh.
    Rob, I think that's a good way to look at it as it's not impossible to pass over a reef given a good chart and the right tide. The shoals often prove to be the most hazardous as they are more likely to change with the tide and weather moving them around.
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes indeed Paul. I think that is the way that I'm going to deal with it.
    Bligh.