Thread: I Miss Games that Include Designer's Notes

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    As far as I know had Revolutionary/Napoleonic French frigates the better design, construction and stability.

The RN was very happy each time they were able to incorporate a French frigate in service
    French ships were designed for very different roles, where speed in ideal conditions was valued above seaworthiness, structural strength and the ability to carry the stores and water for sustained cruising, so its not as simple as saying one country built "better" ships than the other (a bit like WW1 battleship and battlecruiser designs, the requirements against which British and German ships were designed were significantly different and that was reflected in the ships themselves, a "detail" that even trained technical observers fail to pick up on).

British frigates tended to be more heavily built and "full", leading to them generally being a bit slower, but that heavily built and full form tended to be stronger so if anything they should have larger burdens than their French counterparts. That said, with the fidelity of the stat system in SGN using the same for both would be entirely reasonable

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Why do you think they had to call it the NX-1701 in the series "Enterprise" - because some plonker forgot the "A" in 1966!
    There are no _Star Trek_ series after _TNG_. The End. >:)

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Sorry, there are no series after TOS and films 2, 3 and 6. Everything after that is just a dream. Move on, nothing to see......

David,

I hope the stats committee, officially releases a corrected/alternate Amazon.

Everyone:

TOS and Enterprise (Enterprise would have been slightly better had they not allowed in the Borg) is Trek. Although I have to say, Ido enjoy the JJ relaunched series of movies.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Sorry, there are no series after TOS and films 2, 3 and 6. Everything after that is just a dream. Move on, nothing to see......
    Hang on - aren't the odd numbered films the good ones or am I suffering from a haze sue to imbibing too much good Bordeaux?!

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Lydia View Post
    Enterprise (Enterprise would have been slightly better had they not allowed in the Borg)...
    Actually I thought the whole Suliban Time Travel War thing wrecked it (well before the Borg) - should have been more TOS meets Voyager out discovering new races, empires, technology, etc - not fighting a "Temporal Cold War" when they have barely learnt how to use Warp Drives!!!!!

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Mycenius View Post
    Hang on - aren't the odd numbered films the good ones or am I suffering from a haze sue to imbibing too much good Bordeaux?!

1 was the "slow motion picture"
    2 - KHAAAAAN! - 'nuff said
    3 - Search for Spock. OK
    4 - Whales - fun (Liz loves it)
    5 - "What does God want with a starship?" Should have been better, suffered from being made during a Hollywood strike
    6 - Shakespere in the original Klingon. Awesome
    7 - Generations. Awful, not helped by galaxy wide plot holes agogo. Marina Sirtis and her stunt double Patricia Tallman dressed as sailors the only redeeming feature
    8 - First Contact. Loved it
    9 - Insurrection. Pointless dross. Marina Sirtis ina bubble bath the only redeeming feature.
    10 - Nemesis. Silly, should have at least tried for some continuity with the TV series. Although the Argo bit was fun and Mad Max is in it.

Yes - now you list them quite right 2, 4, 6 best IMO, followed by 3 then 5. And yeah 8 is definitely the standout of the 4 ST TNG movies...

(Speaking as a guy) ...Anything with Patricia Tallman in is good!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

7 - Generations. Awful, not helped by galaxy wide plot holes agogo. Marina Sirtis and her stunt double Patricia Tallman dressed as sailors the only redeeming feature
    9 - Insurrection. Pointless dross. Marina Sirtis ina bubble bath the only redeeming feature.
    Should we just change your name to "Ensign Drulin Phanboi"? :P LOL (Character in a Star Trek parody webcomic one of my frat brothers liked, damned if I can remember its name now. :( ) Not to mention she didn't age particularly well, at least not as seen on NCIS the past season or two...

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Bearing in mind I ended up ina massive fight with a senior member of the official Star Trek fan Club up a mountain in Austria because I told her in (not that great) detail why Generations was a steaming pile of inconsistent crap I think "Phanboi" is not all that appropriate :)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

That was meant as in reference to you specifically WRT Ms. Sirtis, not the entire franchise. :p

Don't look at me, I'm in the crowd holding the belief that Hollyweird has a Reverse Midas Touch on every single older IP it touches, at least this decade--which is why I've been systematically burning the bridges of all of my childhood memories, better to leave them behind in the past than watch them be ruined again as has been done with Equalizer (nothing against Denzel Washington as an actor, he would have made a great "Equalizer, TNG" but Michael Caine would have been far closer to Edward Woodward as "Robert McCall, THE Equalizer" IMO--the DW version just completely lacks the style that Woodward had, not to mention the suits and the Jag), A-Team and Knight Rider and is about to be done again with Jurassic Park.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I really can't stand the current desire to "reboot" everything. It often means a couple of hours of total dross. The final straw came when there was an announcement abut a likely remake of "The Princess Bride". WTF???????

Although there was this......

at this point I watch about 1 new/recent movie a year (counting all media streams). Hollywood completely lost me at some point--I guess because I'm not a teenager in China...

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If I had my way, the only "REboot" would be MY boot in THEIR ass... LOL (Sorry, just HAD to riff on Abby a little.)

I really can't stand the current desire to "reboot" everything.
    It's simply symptomatic of how devoid of ideas and originality the industry is - and how their process of everything being solely about the short-term 'numbers' has led to not risking any originality and developing a culture and skill environment that relies on plagiarism and recycling existing success rather than bringing fresh ideas and inspiration.... How much this is a corporate issue (i.e. their ethos and/or the type of people in the organisations making the influential decisions) - or just symptomatic of the type & quality of people in the important places in the industry in general (e.g. directors, producers, etc, as well as the studios/corporates) - is not clear... Or is it just symptomatic of the dumbing down of society...?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Maybe "All Of The Above"? :( Last movie I saw in theaters, if memory serves, was the last of the LOTR trilogy... and before those started it was either SW: Attack of the Clones, The Great Raid or MIB II.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Horrible Sci-Fi remakes: Lost in Space, Thunderbirds, The day the earth stood still, War of the Worlds, The Nutty Professor, the Dunwich Horror, Stepford Wives, King Kong, Godzilla, the pile of crap just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Hollywood has been devoid of original ideas since about 1950! Every movie, or idea for TV Series has been nothing more then the same old recycled themes of once good quality films made back before then! All it is now is a platform to allow people with little to no talent make lots of money doing nothing more then "acting" exactly like their idiot selves!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Theodore Sturgeon was a science fiction writer. He was asked during an interview why, since he was such an excellent writer, would he choose a genre with so many bad writers in it. His response has become known as Sturgeon's Law:

Sturgeon's Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

There are just as many crappy movies as there are crappy science fiction novels; just as many crappy biographies, histories, novels, tv shows, cars, war-games, ships, WWI aircraft, tanks, guns, breakfast cereals, human beings, you name it.

Sturgeon wrote the screenplay "Amok Time" for TOS. It was the season two opener. Sturgeon created the vulcan mating ritual, the vulcan hand sign, and the phrase, "live long and prosper". The guy was a genius.

The last movie I saw in the theatre was "The Imitation Game" which was excellent, but I don't think that was even a Hollywood production.