View Poll Results: Do you prefer use chits, disposable paper & pencil or lamainated reusable ship charts

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Play with Chits as game printed (Fiddly bits).

13 56.52%
  • Printable paper charts and pencil.

3 13.04%
  • Laminated reusable ship charts with erasable marker.

7 30.43%
  • Other (Please state system in forum post).

0 0%

Thread: Chits, Printable Charts, or Laminated Reusable Charts?

Default Chits, Printable Charts, or Laminated Reusable Charts?

So the question of preferred method of damage and action record keeping came up. It would be interesting to see what method people would prefer. I am partial to the laminated ship card, and believe that Ares could have offered these as an optional accessory. Hopefully, we'll get enough responses to see if a ship chart expansion product would be viable.

1. Play with Chits as game printed.
    2. Play with Printable paper charts and pencil.
    3. Play with custom laminated reusable charts.
    4. Other (Please state system in forum post, for instance app on smart phone).
    Last edited by HMS Lydia; 03-06-2015 at 06:34.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I put printable paper, even though I myself use an app on my iPhone. It's my game and miniatures that get used and therefore I supply printed papers to other players too.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

I readily admit I'm a bit of a purist, so I started playing the game as designed. However, as I've gone on collecting ships I've come to see that with printable ship mats I could actually have more variety in the game even if the actual ships I'd like to have aren't yet available! I'm not savvy enough to design the ship mats myself, so I'm reliant on the members around here who have done that work, but I can say I like the idea of paper over the current game design!!

Bob,

In line with this poll there should be another poll asking "Do you recycle chits after every turn's draw?", or "Do you remove drawn chits once they've been picked!"

Of course this would only pertain to those folks who are using paper ship mats and mark off the boxes as they are filled. As those who use the cardboard mats would be using the chits on their mats as they are drawn. Unless of course, those folks are using another method with the chits on the mat. I guess that would classify as an "Other Method"!!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan

Quote Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
    In line with this poll there should be another poll asking "Do you recycle chits after every turn's draw?", or "Do you remove drawn chits once they've been picked!"

Of course this would only pertain to those folks who are using paper ship mats and mark off the boxes as they are filled. As those who use the cardboard mats would be using the chits on their mats as they are drawn. Unless of course, those folks are using another method with the chits on the mat. I guess that would classify as an "Other Method"!!
    Yes, I agree, this would make a good poll also. I have always taken damage ships and held them out of the bag. I have played a 9 vs 9 game, and two chit sets were adequate for the battle without ever having to reconstitute the bags. But I have read where others are putting chits back to maintain the the statistical draw. I have to say I prefer that method. I would also like to build a special chit set that increases the amount of mast damage draws.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes. Replace the chits and remove all fire and leak special damage from the second set of chits.

I haven't played with it yet, but a good idea I snatched up here on the anchorage.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Last year, we used laminated mats at Origins, not thinking we would adopt that going forward. After Origins, we never returned to Ares' design. I, also, like the idea of paper mats, and will adopt that method along with clipboards when we don't have time for laminating.

We replace chits after every draw.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I like the fiddly bits. I do keep them in a small tupperware bin to draw from, and have other chits for marking damage, thusly maintaining something like a stable probability curve. I followed the suggestion of attaching the ship mat to a piece of varnished 1/4"plywood and was very satisfied with the results.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

For AoS gaming I prefer paper logs

But

I like to play the rules as written (house rules excepted) of at least the style of the RAW hence for SGN I'd stick with fiddly bits

I just got back from a convention and used the laminated logs. IMO it is a good solution for a convention game with 6-10 players.

Interesting, this has broken down 50-50 so far, chits versus no chits. Although the sampling is awful small. I have run up to a 9 ship versus 9 ship game. Each player handled 3 ships. The non-chit record keeping makes operating multiple ships so much easier. The 9x9 game I ran concluded in 3.5 hours, with a clear victor. Each side had 2 x 1st Rates, 4 x 3rd rates, and 3 x frigates. This game was an attempt to strain record keeping to the extreme.

First Naval Lord
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Keith

Or a Quarterdeck accessory that has a built in "reusable ship chart" that works with dry erase markers.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    I just didn't want to be seen as the, "Thread Pirate Roberts" and get too far off topic.

I play it with the original stuff.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For small games at home I play with the standard setup.
    If I were running a game at a convention the laminated board with felt tip would be mandatory, after using such in Wings. it halves the playing time in a large game and also the changeover time between games.
    All my ships have dedicated Logs and a set of ships chits kept in the box with the ship. Again saving a lot of sorting time.
    Bligh.

13 Chits/10 not chits Split...

I'm in the former - I can live with the Chits for now - at least until I've got a decent multiple brace of games under my belt...

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

What the chit??? Well, I just figured someone would say it sooner or later!!!

I am leaning toward using wooden cube markers to fill the boxes as they are filled rather then keeping the chits on the mats! I just haven't decided as yet when I put the chits back in the Draw pile other when a ship is taken completely out!
    "War is the greatest game Man can play!" BG George B. McClellan