Thread: HMS Duke of Kent

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default HMS Duke of Kent

In some web surfing today I discovered an Age of Sail warship that never made it past the planning and scale model stage. HMS Duke of Kent if built would have far out gunned the Santisima Trinidad at 170 cannons. Here's a link to some additional information.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collect...cts/66621.html
    http://www.historicalfirearms.info/p...kent-the-royal

Name:  HMSDoK.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  100.9 KB

This ship certainly would make an interesting kit bash, but from the article I think the HMS Caledonia would be a better candidate, although I cannot find Caledonia's class listed on Three Decks?

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

HMS _OH HELL NO_.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Methinks Pirate Captain French will be needing his brown trousers... :p

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Thanks DB. Ah, so some things you've said in the past are much clearer now. They (Ares) didn't actually use the prototype drawings for the sculpts of Britannia and Royal George? They sort of cheated by using the Victory sculpt for all the 3 deckers. So it seems unlikely we'll ever see a Caledonia Class let alone the Nelson Class, which goes well beyond their time cut off?

Methinks Pirate Captain French will be needing his brown trousers... :p
    Maybe Pirate Captain French doesn't like the big imposing ships. I know what he thinks about the USS Pennsylvania.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Caledonias and the Nelsons hit water within that time, but Don't Hold Your Breath. I had seen some data and reported it early on that said when Victory's keel was laid they used the 1756 Royal George draught because the new design wasn't finished yet--what I would have done--and recommended then had I known then what I do now--would be put the two 1745 Est 100's and their contemporary Second Rates on one sculpt, done a second for the Dreads and Late 100's, and kept Victory truly unique.

Frankly, the first thing I'm gonna do if they ever cut a Dreadnought 98 three-decker (basically First Rate size anyway) is put my SGN108 figures in archival storage and replace them with repainted extra Dreads using the 108 cards and bases.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Caledonias and the Nelsons hit water within that time, but Don't Hold Your Breath. I had seen some data and reported it early on that said when Victory's keel was laid they used the 1756 Royal George draught because the new design wasn't finished yet--what I would have done--and recommended then had I known then what I do now--would be put the two 1745 Est 100's and their contemporary Second Rates on one sculpt, done a second for the Dreads and Late 100's, and kept Victory truly unique.

Frankly, the first thing I'm gonna do if they ever cut a Dreadnought 98 three-decker (basically First Rate size anyway) is put my SGN108 figures in archival storage and replace them with repainted extra Dreads using the 108 cards and bases.
    Understood. I'm still holding my breath for USS Constitution and HMS Victory and am quite blue in the face. Of course that might be due to our winter too!?!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

That's an example of stacking the decks.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    That's an example of stacking the decks.
    *groan* As if French weren't bad enough, YOU TOO?

:p lol

Able Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Jan

Wow. When you see a 1-rst rate on XIX century photograps they look as imposing as floating mountains. I wonder how this monster would have looked.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jim, my guess is Ares might try to be lazy and call three-deckers done with Victory--I'm trying to get them to slide a pair of Second Rate sculpts from Trafalgar in (besides, it'll really help game coverage if each rating gets an "early" and "late version" sculpts, some needing a "mid" too) both on their own merits and for those of us so inclined to back-fit 108s.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Wow. When you see a 1-rst rate on XIX century photograps they look as imposing as floating mountains. I wonder how this monster would have looked.
    These ships were monsters. I actually found a photo of the HMS Caledonia. I'm guessing this was when it was used as a training ship.

Name:  HMSCaledonia.jpg
Views: 7224
Size:  10.4 KB

Some really great photos of other British ships here. Check out the HMS Britannia moored on the River Dart:

http://gcaptain.com/arse-school-ships-uk/

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Jim, my guess is Ares might try to be lazy and call three-deckers done with Victory--I'm trying to get them to slide a pair of Second Rate sculpts from Trafalgar in (besides, it'll really help game coverage if each rating gets an "early" and "late version" sculpts, some needing a "mid" too) both on their own merits and for those of us so inclined to back-fit 108s.
    I suspect you're correct concerning the British three-deckers. I hope you're wrong, but they may figure that other nations as well as different sized ships are worthy of attention.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, if they can't work on getting their release rates up a little it's gonna be a long slow slog, that's for sure. If they could get up to two new releases a year plus whatever Specials... the problem is a combination of missteps causing the game not to have the chance to reach what it could have been, and a small company with big ideas that may not have the resources to fully realize them--I see the Giants for WWI are going back to the Kickstarter well.

Would have to be a party to see fire their guns!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Yeah, if they can't work on getting their release rates up a little it's gonna be a long slow slog, that's for sure. If they could get up to two new releases a year plus whatever Specials... the problem is a combination of missteps causing the game not to have the chance to reach what it could have been, and a small company with big ideas that may not have the resources to fully realize them--I see the Giants for WWI are going back to the Kickstarter well.
    Excuse my ignorance, but who are the Giants for WW1?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Maybe Pirate Captain French doesn't like the big imposing ships. I know what he thinks about the USS Pennsylvania.
    Pirate Captain French is looking at that PoS and thinking "It sails about as fast as a farmhouse; it handles like a brick; god knows how badly it deals with foul weather; crew requirements are ludicrous; and I don't even want to think about how much it costs".

The ones which were built were converted to steam -- There Is A Reason For This. >:)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Excuse my ignorance, but who are the Giants for WW1?
    Staaken and O/400. Kickstarter commences March 10.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Staaken and O/400. Kickstarter commences March 10.
    Oh! Those giants! Well, they've got pics up on their website now that you mention it: http://www.aresgames.eu/14159

If one projects that production moves as quickly as the Victory and Constitution backers will receive them sometime in 2017, maybe?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Depends on if any ILWU thugs need their kneecaps broken from shutting down the West Coast again while they're on the ship...

You know what this strike was really about? They wanted to be able to unilaterally fire any of the designated arbitrators on their own say-so for any reason or even none at all.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

If one projects that production moves as quickly as the Victory and Constitution backers will receive them sometime in 2017, maybe?
    I predict 11 November 2018.

I will definitely pick some of these up.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I predict 11 November 2018.

I will definitely pick some of these up.
    I probably will too, but I would have much preferred a Santisima Trinidad project or better yet (and perhaps a more successful KS undertaking) a Pirates/Merchants Dual Ship Pack!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I think this is a good sign, though. If this KS is successful, Ares might be more inclined to do more for non-traditional extensions like a Pirates/Merchants Dual Ship Pack.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Talking of which I wonder what happened to all the very active thoughts some time ago on producing merchants (or "targets") for SGN. As I recall we were promised a release of merchies in 2014 (see the "Merchant Ships - Hull up on the horizon" thread). Inquiring minds want to know (and have, indeed, inquired)

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Reminds me, I need to give Roberto a nudge about that again... we play our cards right we can get an EIM and Bonhomme Richard on the same sculpt. :) Having trouble running down info on all of BHR's eight near-sisters, but I thought I saw some evidence that at least one of them also hoisted American colors...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Talking of which I wonder what happened to all the very active thoughts some time ago on producing merchants (or "targets") for SGN. As I recall we were promised a release of merchies in 2014 (see the "Merchant Ships - Hull up on the horizon" thread). Inquiring minds want to know (and have, indeed, inquired)
    Reminds me, I need to give Roberto a nudge about that again... we play our cards right we can get an EIM and Bonhomme Richard on the same sculpt. :) Having trouble running down info on all of BHR's eight near-sisters, but I thought I saw some evidence that at least one of them also hoisted American colors...
    Waiting patiently (sort of) to hear what either of you might receive in response from Ares?

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There are now some fairly active discussions ongoing re merchies and others

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name