Thread: Naval Action (PC game).

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Post Naval Action (PC game).

Naval Action is a new PC game which will put us in command of warships during the Napoleonic Wars. The game will launch shortly because the testing phase has finished. I am in shock later seeing the videos:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=259130636

Able Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Jan

The first trailer (HD Victory test) sounds like there has been a mutiny on board! Such shouting and screaming couldn't possibly take place on any of His Majesty's Ships!

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The first trailer (HD Victory test) sounds like there has been a mutiny on board! Such shouting and screaming couldn't possibly take place on any of His Majesty's Ships!
    The first video is a presentation of the game and you take reason ... Hearing that, it seems a pirate ship. The game is another thing and the last videos on the page show the gameplay. I like it.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

There's a much longer thread discussing Naval Action here: http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...t=naval+action

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

"_Naval Action_" is not a shore-leave-themed dating sim. I stand corrected. :)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The first two look rather nice. I really, really didn't need to see them. I have successfully avoided this game thus far.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    The first two look rather nice. I really, really didn't need to see them. I have successfully avoided this game thus far.
    Not me - bought in hook, line and sinker - as my wife will attest - "Aren't you finished testing that sailing game yet?"

Game is still in Alpha testing using a combat arena, although Game Labs is going to start open world testing soon. I have worked up through the ship progression to the corvette/light frigate (28 guns). You start with fore and aft rigs - cutter, schooner and work up from there to the Santisima Trinidad. They have the Surprise (L'Unite), Trincomalee (Leda class 5th rate), Constitution, Bellona, Victory and the ST. I would say that you need a decent videocard to play the game (Dx11, Shader model 5.0 capable). I play on low settings but even then the graphics are superb. They have the sailing physics down pretty well regarding maneuvering ships, tacking, wearing, etc., except they have not implemented damage to the rigging for carrying too much sail in high wind or in battle. New physics update coming this spring though. Battles are maxed at 60 minutes but usually go about 30-40 minutes depending on the number of ships. You can also fight bots, but that's really just to practice or farm damage points for ship progression.

I need to get back to miniatures though!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Not me - bought in hook, line and sinker - as my wife will attest - "Aren't you finished testing that sailing game yet?"

Game is still in Alpha testing using a combat arena, although Game Labs is going to start open world testing soon. I have worked up through the ship progression to the corvette/light frigate (28 guns). You start with fore and aft rigs - cutter, schooner and work up from there to the Santisima Trinidad. They have the Surprise (L'Unite), Trincomalee (Leda class 5th rate), Constitution, Bellona, Victory and the ST. I would say that you need a decent videocard to play the game (Dx11, Shader model 5.0 capable). I play on low settings but even then the graphics are superb. They have the sailing physics down pretty well regarding maneuvering ships, tacking, wearing, etc., except they have not implemented damage to the rigging for carrying too much sail in high wind or in battle. New physics update coming this spring though. Battles are maxed at 60 minutes but usually go about 30-40 minutes depending on the number of ships. You can also fight bots, but that's really just to practice or farm damage points for ship progression.

I need to get back to miniatures though!
    I haven't been back since I made enough experience to graduate to Cutter. I would like to think this simulation/game will attract a more civilized crowd, but I have this bad feeling that it's just going to devolve into another version of World of Tanks, War Thunder or World of Airplanes. By that I mean, win at all costs, use any and all game mechanics to beat the system and generally a nasty PvP griefing mentality. You can already see that on the forums.

I rather enjoy just plain sailing, but then I'm not your typical 'gamer' in any case.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, your comments are a major reason why I am so appreciative of the Anchorage and Aerodrome, and the WoG and SoG games in general. It seems these games attract, for the most part, friendly and civil players, and Keith has done an excellent job in creating two healthy online cultures.

Eric, please don't speak in tempting terms. I just gave up online games like Sudoku; I don't need a replacement.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Jim, your comments are a major reason why I am so appreciative of the Anchorage and Aerodrome, and the WoG and SoG games in general. It seems these games attract, for the most part, friendly and civil players, and Keith has done an excellent job in creating two healthy online cultures.

Eric, please don't speak in tempting terms. I just gave up online games like Sudoku; I don't need a replacement.
    Not to tempt you, but the game is truly gorgeous as Eric has stated. If it plays out as the developers and many are hoping it will be awesome. I'm just worried about how some folks view and approach computer simulations like this.

If they develop a truly persistent world simulation and a historically appreciative player base I don't think you'll find a better PC 'game' for recreating the Age of Sail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I haven't been back since I made enough experience to graduate to Cutter. I would like to think this simulation/game will attract a more civilized crowd, but I have this bad feeling that it's just going to devolve into another version of World of Tanks, War Thunder or World of Airplanes. By that I mean, win at all costs, use any and all game mechanics to beat the system and generally a nasty PvP griefing mentality. You can already see that on the forums.

I rather enjoy just plain sailing, but then I'm not your typical 'gamer' in any case.

Neither am I. There is not surprisingly a large percentage of historically minded testers in NA and a higher percentage of older gamers as well. NA is not immune to the foibles of the online world, MMOs in particular. Although I have found the win at all costs mentality is alive and well in the miniatures gaming tournament world as well. The developers are striving to stay above what many call the WOT mentality. Time will tell if it works. One only has to look at the various forum threads on Pirates to see some of the ugly side (I want to be a pirate and grief everyone, etc.) So far the worst issues are collisions and ramming (until I played WOT I never knew that tanks ramming each other was a viable tactic and I was trained on real ones!!). Some people get really bent out of shape when a team mate does sometime stupid or even accidental.

Having said that I have played close to 100 games and only had one where nasty chat and griefing was an issue. They have a tribunal set up to keep bad behavior in check as well. I suppose I could have rigged up all my SoG ships with that time spent on the computer though.