Quote Originally Posted by TWR View Post
I seem to be alone here but I rather think the advance rules force players to make hard decisions as damage increases and crew casualties become greater. Once down to two actions things become very desperate.

Can I reload or do I need to focus on pumps? Should I focus on breaking off or is it realistic to continue the engagement? Can I fire a broadside or should I focus on boarding the ship I'm entangled with?

I think the importance of these decisions would be more significant if the games were treated more in a campaign context. The loss of a ship having a greater campaign impact than an individual action.
At our club, we started playing SofG with crew actions, and subsequently tried it with just the standard rules (while playtesting Powder Monkey), and found the crew actions made the game for us, as it seemed to make us feel as we were actually commanding a real ship, to some extent.

I always felt Wings of Glory WW1 slightly strange when a damage result seemed to 'get better' by itself after 3 actions!