Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tacking action?

Landsman
    Italy

Log Entries
    Name
    Francesco

I may have found this video on this forum (i can't remember ), but i think it explains tacking a square-rigged vessel very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxCKGS_bLKI

from my dinghy sailing experience i know that a fundamental factor for tacking is speed: so i think that a ship of the line (veer 5 or less) using backing sails (or for whatever reason using the shortest arrow) should not be allowed to tack

then my idea about tacking is this: you maneuver as usual, but in the turn you're passing head to wind you have to plan two actions (they could be raising and lowering sails). if you don't do that you should use a red card straight or going on the other direction (choose randomly) using the arrow with TWO hourglasses. This should represent the ship drifting away with sails still set and should need some proper timing as it is in reality
    when tacking in strong wind and not planning the tack/planning it too early you should take a C token to represent structural damage to rigging
    Last edited by 12francesco34; 06-13-2016 at 10:58.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a very well illustrated example of Tacking and wearing ship Francesco, and a welcome first posting.
    I would say that your idea for actions during a tack should be included as an optional rule.
    It would certainly take up a crew action.
    Thanks for posting such an informative clip.
    Rob

Landsman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Johan

I see one problem with proposing some sort of penalty for tacking, and that is when playing with the optional rule for change of wind direction. You can suddenly find yourself taken aback without having intended to, because the wind shifted suddenly. I imagine that a capable captain would have noticed when the wind gradually changed and adjusted the navigation accordingly. If there's a penalty to tacking, perhaps a tweak to the wind direction rule could be that any change in wind direction comes into force the next turn, not the current turn? (That might be a desirable house rule in any case, of course.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good point Johan.
    I always apply the rule straight after the next card is picked Johan. if a Captain is sailing that close to the wind that he cant get out of a couple of degrees change of direction, he gets all he deserves, as I found out to my cost recently.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just dropping in to share a very nice YouTube video that was posted on The Miniatures Page. Didn't want to start a new thread on tacking and wearing so I'm appending this post to one started by Fred. I found the step by step explanation well done. Cheers!

"It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the clip Jim and good to hear from you.
    I will pop the clip into the stickies.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.