Thread: Paper fortifications.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Post Paper fortifications.

I have found some interesting paper fortifications if you like playing with 3D models. They are european fortifications and some of them have a star design. Awaiting better plastic models is a cheap and interesting solution. You only need to adjust the scale and print it. This is the link of the web where i got them. The download is free.

http://www.sites-vauban.org/Kits-decoupage

If you like you can download all fortifications also from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srj9sjnt71...tions.rar?dl=0

Fantastic find Juan, many interesting models and easily scaled to suit SOG.

Ordinary Seaman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Thanks Daniel. Some of these models are near of SOG scale. For example:
    Decoupage_Villefranche 1:1000
    Decoupage_Briancon 1:1250
    Decoupage_Neuf_Brisach 1:800
    Decoupage_Saint_Martin_de_RE 1:750

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thank you, Juan. This is a great find.

I really like the idea of using 3-D terrain for SoG. I would like to do more such things with WoG, but at least with SoG you don't run into the issue of the playing piece and the terrain being in the same location, assuming proper sailing of course .
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks for the find and link. Having 3D features on the game table really does add to the immersion.

I think I need to invest in a much better printer for all these recent discoveries. The local copy shop is not far away, but going out when the temperatures are only single digits isn't particularly appealing (5F/-15C). It's much worse on the East Coast, but I'm really tired of winter.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

From my _Car Wars_ days: To make them a little more sturdy, add cardboard like that from a cereal box or package of clothing to the backsides, while leaving the edges clear; then one can still fold them down.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Sound advice, Chris. Such cardboard should be thin enough not to obstruct the making of the models.

Did you glue the cardboard, leaving the edges clear, and then fold? If so, what kind of glue - I am thinking about bleeding through?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Sound advice, Chris. Such cardboard should be thin enough not to obstruct the making of the models.

Did you glue the cardboard, leaving the edges clear, and then fold? If so, what kind of glue - I am thinking about bleeding through?
    I experimented with various methods -- in some cases, I'd have the cardboard on the outside, as it looked a bit like the material the bunker was made from. Usually, if the cardboard was to be on the inside, it would be just a bit smaller than the paper it was being attached to, so there'd be clearance for the other bits of cardboard. Folding of the paper was done first, to make sure the model actually worked -- no point gluing cardboard to it if it won't fit in the first place.

Can't remember what glue I used; just that it came in a spray can.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Shaun

I do a lot of paper craft and a trick I learned from there when doing buildings is to get some foam core and stick sections to the inside backs of the walls (and more importantly the floor) to ensure stiffness (ooer!). Obviously as CSADN mentioned you need to make it smaller than the wall or floor it is stuck to to allow the sections to fit together.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
    I do a lot of paper craft and a trick I learned from there when doing buildings is to get some foam core and stick sections to the inside backs of the walls (and more importantly the floor) to ensure stiffness (ooer!). Obviously as CSADN mentioned you need to make it smaller than the wall or floor it is stuck to to allow the sections to fit together.
    Thanks for the tips Shaun and welcome aboard the Anchorage!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Thanks for the advice, Chris and Shaun.

Shaun, head over to Welcome Aboard and introduce yourself. Folks will be glad to meet you.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Juan! These are a good 'find'.