Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
The designers are eager for input, so maybe something regarding shipping can be addressed, if not now, then in the future.
I guess I'm now at a point to where I can post on the site. :)

As 1/2 of DS'tone Art, I'll addess the shipping concerns as best that I can.

The 3x3 mats weigh about 13-14 oz (370-400 g) each. Since the package as a whole is over 13 oz and over 12 inches, we have to use Priority International to ship the mats. That's unfortunately not cheap.

The biggest hurtle to overcome, in all honesty, is the sticker shock from the first mat. Once the package is "on the way" so to speak, the price only increases slightly due to the added weight of each new mat. The best way to overcome the huge shipping costs is for players in an area to pool resources and back as a group. With each new mat added to a post, the overall price of shipping is distributed at a more manageable level.

For our second KS based on space mats, we had two groups from Australia jump in at the 6 mat level because they saw that by spreading the initial postage out between them all, they could each get a mat at a fairly reasonable price (as opposed to what they would have to pay at MSRP for another product available in their area).

While we'd love to partner with a printer in the EU so they could print and distribute for a lesser postage fee, we also want to be sure every mat we send out is printed well. Honestly, we're just two gamers doing this for our love of games and to help others get as excited as we get when you see how great a game looks when you are playing on something more than a plain piece of felt. We use a local printer here in our town to print the mats and we do not have the means available to ensure the quality of the product if it's printed somewhere else.

~Duane