Thread: LED's, Smoke, Fire and Explosions!!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default LED's, Smoke, Fire and Explosions!!

After my use of the battery powered tealights to simulate cannon broadsides I got to thinking about smoke, fires and specifically the explosion of the Orient at the Battle of the Nile. Using one of the damaged 1st Rates recently purchased from Keith and the tip from Gunner about Windy City Novelties I tried some blinking led light concepts out. The use of led's and tealights for game fire markers isn't new, but it's often in Warhammer or other land based games where you see this show up.

In any case I tried the idea on ships, but also went for a clip on blinky for one of the Wings of Glory minis I have on hand. See what you think. . . .Cheers!

Name:  OrientFireTesta.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  OrientFireTestb.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  OrientFireTestc.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  WoGFireTesta.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  80.9 KB

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12640[/ATTACH

]Name:  WoGFireTestc.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  87.5 KB

Make sure you use that at conventions. If that doesn't draw attention to the game, nothing will. Bravo

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Make sure you use that at conventions. If that doesn't draw attention to the game, nothing will. Bravo
    Thank you for the info. on Windy City blinky lights. They have a huge selection of LED stuff and shipping was super fast. Great fun looking at their online catalog too.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Wow, Jim. Those are rather dramatic effects. I agree with Ed; they should draw attention. Well done, indeed.

I need to show Sue these. I foresee a few in our collection.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Wow, the effect is amazing.So is your talent. Stuff like this is really inspiring. Thanks for posting the pics.

Never fear I have already used the blinky LED lights at conventions and will do so again for Cold Wars in March. I do like the explosion/fire markers though.

Name:  Strachan4.JPG
Views: 1165
Size:  118.2 KB

Name:  Strachan5.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  GP CW close up firing..jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  163.5 KB

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    It is always nice to bring out a wreck and swoop it for a banged-up ship (As long as it is not one of yours). To do so with one of yours! That is a nice way of hitting below the water-line.
    Be unsafe
    Rory

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'll pick up some of these for Origins. I think they will be a nice addition to the games.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Some of the members over on the Aerodrome asked if I'd write up a step by step tutorial on how to make the fire, flame and explosion markers for WoG. I did make an attempt, which may or may not be useful, but in the process I actually shot some video footage to give one a better idea of how the markers would look in live settings. This included the work I did on the Orient.

See below for the video. If you wish to ignore the fighter plane section skip to 0:52 seconds (or thereabouts) and you can see how the LEDs function on a burning Orient. Still a WIP, but it's getting closer to what I want for the game table. Oh, one more note this video was shot in near dark, so the footage is a bit grainy. Cheers!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Nicely done, Jim. I look forward to reading your tutorial. I was hoping you would share some advice when I saw your handiwork earlier.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

A brief LED update. More information has been posted on the Aerodrome so I wont post too many photos here. Still waiting on some clip devices to hold the WoG flame markers in place, but those aren't necessary for converting SoG ships to burning wrecks.

First product comes from Party City. Nice self contained LED light with replaceable batteries.

Name:  LEDTestB.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  LEDTestA.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  89.6 KB

Second product is from Windy City Novelties. Another self contained LED setup that gives off a nice constant amber glow when activated. These are a bit fiddly and could be a problem turning on, but they are very small and do give off a nice color to simulated the glow from a fire.

Name:  LEDTestC.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  111.7 KB

Two shots of the LED earring inside the Orient.

Name:  LEDTestG.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  160.9 KB
    Name:  LEDTestH.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  134.4 KB

Because of the small size these LED earrings will work best inside ships for fire effects, but also they should work well for broadside firing? I'll test that out and see how long the batteries last.

Name:  LEDTestF.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  98.6 KB

Cheers!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

While I don't expect many folks will drill holes, remove masts and generally hack away at their SGN ships to create table wrecks I've put together some photos to show how I kit bashed the burning Orient (now joined by the burning Imperial).

Remove masts and prepare them for reinsertion into deck using small sewing pins. Also remove the boats.
    Name:  SGNWreckA.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  98.2 KB

A quick repaint of the sails, yards, etc., will improve the ships appearance before airbrush smoke covering.
    Name:  SGNWreckB.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  84.9 KB

Glue the ship to the clear plastic shield.
    Name:  SGNWreckC.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  104.2 KB

Drill a small pilot hole at the spot you'll insert the LED blinky lights.
    Name:  SGNWreckD.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  131.0 KB

Drill a pilot hole on the blue base as well. You can try to go through the ship to the base but it's quite likely you'll snap a drill if you do.
    Name:  SGNWreckE.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  85.9 KB

You must carefully increase the drills used so they don't bind up on the plastic. Eventually you can use a Dremel sanding bit to rough out a hole that's the diameter of your LED light.
    Name:  SGNWreckF.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  98.5 KB
    Name:  SGNWreckG.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  100.2 KB

Next I prepped the base with water effects. Because these ships won't be used in battle the ship cards don't need to show through and the water looks more realistic.
    Name:  SGNWreckH.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  108.4 KB

After that dries for 24 hours you can paint and dry brush as desired.
    Name:  SGNWreckI.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  104.2 KB

On to the fire and smoke. Basically get your favorite poly fiber fill, start with yellow paint dabbed on, move to red and then over spray with black. I wear vinyl gloves so you can work the paint into the fiber.
    Name:  SGNWreckK.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  79.6 KB
    Name:  SGNWreckL.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  83.1 KB
    Name:  SGNWreckM.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  81.3 KB

Spray grey or black paint lightly over the ship to increase the smoky appearance.
    Name:  SGNWreckN.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  94.0 KB

Using your preferred LED blinky (red/yellow, red/red or orange/orange) insert into base and ship hull. Some fine work with a blade or dremel bit may be needed. Use a piece of tape around the light which will hold it firmly in the base and ship. It also gives you something to grab on when removing the light.
    Name:  SGNWreckO.jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  72.3 KB

Work the smoke marker down between the masts. The pins in the masts allow you to bend them as needed to hold the smoke in place. I don't glue the smoke permanently onto the ship. This frees up the smoke and the ships to be used in other situations. Because the LEDs are very light weight you can also turn one on and place it inside the cloud about mid height.
    Name:  SGNWreckP.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  120.3 KB
    Name:  ShipWredkB.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  127.7 KB

Final results are posted in another LED test I put up on YouTube. Many of the photos and the film footage were done in subdued light so the LEDs could be seen more readily, but they do stand out on their own in bright light. The ship on the left has the denser fiber fill. The LED blinking is more subdued, but the smoke effect is a bit more realistic. If you have any questions or comments don't hesitate to ask. Cheers!

Last edited by Nightmoss; 02-28-2015 at 10:04. Reason: typo

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

H! Jim,
    As I know photos can be lost on this site. I lost all my threads on "How to" so I have down-loaded this thread for me to look at/use later. I hope this is O.K. if not I will delete, just say.
    I think the 2nd light is too much and not needed. A little bit of damage to the hull may also add to your great model ships.
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Devsdoc View Post
    H! Jim,
    As I know photos can be lost on this site. I lost all my threads on "How to" so I have down-loaded this thread for me to look at/use later. I hope this is O.K. if not I will delete, just say.
    I think the 2nd light is too much and not needed. A little bit of damage to the hull may also add to your great model ships.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Thanks Rory. I post stuff up here for folks to view, use or reuse as they like. Feel free to download whatever you'd like. I agree the second blinky might be overkill as it detracts from the 'fire' on deck. Thanks for the suggestion on adding more damage to the ship as well. I recall your work and photo of a ship with sail remnants, rigging and flotsam hanging off the ship. I will try something along those lines to add to the damage realism.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Jim,
    Here are my four wrecks. They are British, French, Russian and Swedish. I do not think they are good enough to help you. the ideas are O.K. The Russian one is pants. I over did it. It is not the best, but I keep it as reminder of not over doing this. Less is more.
    British
    Name:  My Wrecks 001.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  147.7 KB
    French
    Name:  My Wrecks 002.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  114.2 KB
    Russian
    Name:  My Wrecks 003.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  96.4 KB
    Swedish
    Name:  My Wrecks 004.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  145.2 KB
    Ship Graveyard
    Name:  My Wrecks 005.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  166.4 KB
    The first 2 are some of the first ships I made.
    Be safe
    Rory
    Last edited by Devsdoc; 02-28-2015 at 20:03.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rory, I like your wrecks a lot. My favorite is the Swedish. I tried to include some of your ideas in a ship I'm using in the near future, but I didn't do very much to the hull. I'm worried if I start digging into that I'll get too carried away? Thanks for sharing your photos!

Nice project, Jim.

This blowing up Orient looks great...

Thanks for the tutorial Jim. I never thought about using small sewing pins to re-mast damaged ships. That's a great idea which I'll use in the future.

Rory, no one can wreck a ship like you. I especially like the sinking Russian.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Jim, what an attraction those would be at a con. I can imagine setting up a game with such a ship in the middle of the table an hour before game time. I think it would generate discussion, for sure.

Thank you for the tutorial.

Jim, donn't know how I missed this thread. The video links appear to be gone now. Can you perhaps recall the titles so I can search them on youtube direct? Ed gave me one of these blinky lights a while back and it never fails to elicit positive comments.
    regards,
    Vol

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Jim, donn't know how I missed this thread. The video links appear to be gone now. Can you perhaps recall the titles so I can search them on youtube direct? Ed gave me one of these blinky lights a while back and it never fails to elicit positive comments.
    regards,
    Vol
    Sure thing. One is called "Sails of Glory LED Fire and Smoke Test". The first one posted is "Fire, flames and explosions using LED's".
    If they don't show up I'll relink the videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d4O2uv6mXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX25rulG7Ms
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 07-17-2015 at 09:40. Reason: Added urls for Vol
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Really like those effects Jim.
    I now have something to do with the extra blinky lights left over when I got a pack for fires with my Aircraft.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Just dropped in to post some photos of a new way to simulate ships on fire. I have had some issues with the 'blinky light' batteries not performing consistently so I tried using some more reliable battery powered tea lights. The process required a lot of bashing and trimming of the ship and certainly would not work on ships smaller than the Orient. If I had more talent with electronics I could easily see wiring the ship bases without the extra plastic housing, etc. Battery and wired could easily be shifted and the LED's moved elsewhere on the ships. Photos and a very brief video contained below.

Name:  ShipFireTeaLight2.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  ShipFireTeaLight3.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  ShipFireTeaLight4.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  ShipFireTeaLight1.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  49.7 KB

–English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superb work as usual Jim. It is great that you are still keeping an eye on the Anchorage.
    I am playing around with the electronics for an upgrade myself. Doing another Orient for myself and a frigate and 74.
    Sven was over the moon with the one you sent for the Nile at Doncaster, and we sent him home with it hoping he would not get stopped at Customs with an electrical ship.
    Thanks again for producing it for us.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Awesome update Jim! Now if only you could figure a way to apply this to a rigged ship?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

An eye catcher for sure Jim. My daughter was across the room and glanced at the computer screen when this image was up and asked why someone was burning their SoG ship.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Are those earing's still available from anywhere Jim/
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Are those earing's still available from anywhere Jim/
    Rob.
    Rob, I believe there are a number of these earrings, or a variation of them, listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_6ho6blddc3_e

Also, while I probably wont have time to take up Vol's challenge of LED lighting a fully rigged shipped I did some investigating and found this site that sells pre configured sets of even smaller LEDs that could be inserted into a ship. What I would envision is hollowing out HMS Victory, or any of the large rates, and drilling some holes in the stern gallery windows and/or the deck grates so you could show ships running at night? Fire ships is also an option.

Here's the site.

https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/lightsforminis.html

You'll see that some chip, nano and pico LED's are exceptionally small and without too much effort could be installed in ships, smoke clouds and fire clouds to increase the immersion of some battles. You could also insert these into forts, cities, etc. Endless possibilities.

https://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/smd-chip-leds.html

Cheers!
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers Jim.
    I just got a pair of the orange ones on Amazon U.K. for £2.99. You can't buy the components at Maplins for that price.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Alastair

Great work by all of you and ideas. I could not do this myself but I have a mate who can and would be inspired by a project like this. Thanks All.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I should soon be in a position to evaluate several different methods of achieving the required results to achieve the best results fot smoke and fire. When the ear rings arrive I will have four different set ups with which to experiment.
    Rob.