Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Great idea!

Instead of trying to produce specific ships, it would probably have been better if Ares had made a generic 32, 38, 74, and so on like some other manufacturers have done. They still could have changed the paint scheme and reflagged a ship model to produce a huge variety of nationalities. How many customers would have known the difference between a French, British, or American 38?

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

You would definitely have to use a fill in the blank ship log to make that work, and come up with all the stats. You couldn't just use the British stats. Also, its not historical. Ensign staffs were only used at anchor in port. They interfere with the spanker. Its kind of like using a Sopwith Camel to represent a Nleuport 17.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Neat idea, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    How many customers would have known the difference between a French, British, or American 38?
    American 38s can be carried concealed?

I could probably put all British ships on the table and most folks I play with would never know the difference, or care for that matter.

I must admit that I am enjoying finding historical schemes for WoG planes. I just need to find a good way to print white on the decals. Dave (Clipper) showed me some good technique with decals. I still have a lot to learn regarding modeling, though.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Neat idea, Ed.

I could probably put all British ships on the table and most folks I play with would never know the difference, or care for that matter.
    Ditto. When you put in too much thought to a game like S0G, it takes the beer away from the pretzels.

Not to mention, players away from the table.

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

That's the beauty of both systems (Wings and Sails) They can be adapted to be as complicated or as easy/simple as players wish and still retain the fun aspect.

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by Union Jack View Post
    That's the beauty of both systems (Wings and Sails) They can be adapted to be as complicated or as easy/simple as players wish and still retain the fun aspect.
    That's why there are basic, standard, advanced, and house rules. I enjoy playing simple rules with kids, but I prefer a more adult, historical approach. Ill take Commodore Perry over Jack Sparrow every time.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

One thing I will say about WoG and SoG is that even at the basic/standard level of rules, the games are quite fun. I do like the complexity scaling they offer, and the amount of house rules I have seen developed is quite impressive. On the 'Drome, I consistently approve files for new sub-systems, and the discussion forum is active regarding house rules.

We had some discussions on carronades, chasers, etc. I always found those to be informative. If we could hammer out some house rules for various things, I think we could easily adopt some in the solo campaign.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Neat idea, Ed.

American 38s can be carried concealed?
    Especially in Illinois!

Nice work, Ed.

Looks great.

It is a great idea Ed. I have tried to figure a way to do this for my 1/1200 ships but the spanker is always in the way.

I figured if Ares didn't mind, either would I. And it's no different than theirs.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Ed, I just saw your latest ship repaints in your album. If you don't mind my saying you should link some of those out where folks are more likely to see them? I especially like your Turkish repaint and the damaged sails effect you got on several of the ships!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    you should link some of those out where folks are more likely to see them?
    Like where?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Like where?
    Start a new thread? My Russian/Turkish ships (green and white) and red?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Start a new thread? My Russian/Turkish ships (green and white) and red?
    Let me build up the fleet first. Thanks.
    Green and white. Hear that Rory