Thread: Broken Masts

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Brad

Default Broken Masts

Arrrgh me hearties!

No I haven't died. You know the old saying, "Old soldiers never die, they just smell that way!" Just a case of long time no speak!

However, I noticed a post on broken masts and I thought I would contribute my 2 bobs worth, (5 cents for the Americans watching), as I have just repaired a broken Mizzen Mast on HMS Genereux. The mast broke about 2mm above the deck making the repair a tad awkward, however here's what I did.

I cut away the broken mast from about half way below the Mizzen Top. This left the Spanker and Boom hanging in mid air. I then got a piece of Plastruct rod, cut to length and super glued it in place of the piece cut away. On the deck, I carefully drilled out a conical recess in the top of the 2mm of mast sticking out of the deck. After filing a pointed end on the bottom of the new mast and super glued it in place.

I have attached a pic which shows my dreadful attempt at painting. I do not have a steady hand at such things, but in real life it looks okay! You will also notice that I have just broken the top of the Main Mast. It never ends!

You might notice the non issue insert in the plastic base. I have been working on this for a while now and will explain my logic (???) in another post.

Best wishes to all for a very Happy New Year and may 2015 bring all that you wish for.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Happy 2015, which I believe you are already well into in Australia!

Thanks for the informational post. While one doesn't wish to break game pieces on a regular basis I think the important point is when it does occur you can usually find an acceptable way to repair the damage. As it turns out I had a similar break happen when I clumsily caught the mizzen mast with a shirt sleeve and snapped the mast off right below the mizzen top. Super glue and both standing rigging and running rigging made for a solid fix.

Ordinary Seaman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

Just noticed one of my starter box masts was broken just above the deck, so figured it was worth a go with the arsenal of adhesive products at my disposal.

• Loctite super glue gel: fail. Would not bond in the amount of time I could hold it still
    • Army Painter super glue: as above. I suspect the spray accelerator would have got round this, but there's a local ordinance from the Domestic Authority prohibiting its use in the kitchen
    • Humbrol 'yellow' liquid poly: tube gunked up, non-starter. :D
    • EMA Plastic Weld brush-on liquid poly: instant success (should have tried it first except it was out in the workshop) :D

Of course, if I'd read my own blog post on the subject, I might have remembered this....

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Brad and Mike, at finding solutions to this problem.