Thread: 1926 Movie "Old Ironsides"

Default 1926 Movie "Old Ironsides"

I ran across a clip from the old silent film "Old Ironsides." Pretty impressive battle scenes considering the time made.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, I agree about the battle scenes. It was interesting to see that they included an African American sailor considering the date.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It was interesting to see that they included an African American sailor considering the date.
    Actually there probably should have been quite a few more. African Americans had served in the Navy since the Revolutionary War and their service is often overlooked. Here's an excerpt from a PBS article on the War of 1812:

African Americans made up at least fifteen percent of U.S. naval corps. Although official U.S. policy at the start of the war forbade the recruitment of black sailors, a chronic shortage of manpower compelled the navy to accept any able-bodied man. These black sailors had a reputation for fierceness in battle. When Captain Oliver Hazard Perry complained about having blacks on his ship, Commodore Isaac Chauncey replied, “I have nearly fifty blacks on this boat and many of them are among the best of my men.” Perry soon had the chance to test Chauncey’s recommendation. At the Battle of Lake Erie, where Perry’s fleet thwarted the British, his black sailors performed so well that he wrote to the Secretary of the Navy, praising their courage.
    Life at sea was, by necessity, an egalitarian existence. Living in small quarters, away from shore for months at a time, the men developed a camaraderie and mutual respect based on performance, not skin color. Black sailors made their mark on both official vessels and on the privateers, non-military ships sanctioned by the U.S. government to harass British merchant vessels. On some privateers more than half of the crew was black. These fast and heavily-armed raiders were frequently successful at seizing merchant ships, but just as frequently at being captured by the British. The sailors onboard, including the African Americans, were often sent to the infamous Dartmoor Prison, where the racial divisions they had left behind once again prevailed.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Life at sea was, by necessity, an egalitarian existence. Living in small quarters, away from shore for months at a time, the men developed a camaraderie and mutual respect based on performance, not skin color.
    [nod] It's a Dirty Little Secret: In the US, the Great Social Leveler has always been The Military -- because "Bullets Don't Care". >;)

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

Now that's the first time I've heard the term 'guns frowning'!