Thread: Broadsides tidbit

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Default Broadsides tidbit

Firing all cannon at once on all decks in a broadside would wreck the ship firing such a broadside. That much sideways force would not only violently push the ship away from the ship it was firing at but it would snap masts knocking sailors down, and generally screwing up the ability of the rudder to steer the ship. Here is a short article talking about how, in the age of sail, a broadside was not a "simultaneous" all decks fire broadside: http://www.military-history.org/fact...-broadside.htm

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, they fired 'rippling broadsides', one cannon firing after another down the length of the ship.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

An issue which persisted all the way to the end of big-gun warships... even the Iowas had to fire two- or three-stage broadsides. (Of course, ONE shell from those monster 16"/50's is more throw weight than even the heaviest-broadsided SOL's entire broadside... if my research is right the record is HMS Egmont around 1782 at 1650# all from carronades, typical 74 ran about 800-900#, and a single 16"/50 runs about 2700#.)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    An issue which persisted all the way to the end of big-gun warships... even the Iowas had to fire two- or three-stage broadsides. (Of course, ONE shell from those monster 16"/50's is more throw weight than even the heaviest-broadsided SOL's entire broadside... if my research is right the record is HMS Egmont around 1782 at 1650# all from carronades, typical 74 ran about 800-900#, and a single 16"/50 runs about 2700#.)
    When I lived in Omaha, someone who'd been on an _Iowa_ described the main guns as "like throwing a Volkswagen full of C4 from downtown Omaha into Plattsmouth".

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

In WW2 ships fired salvos of half of the number of guns. Then correcting their aim, the other half were fired. Aim was corrected again and the first salvo was fired etc..