Thread: 1:1200 Napoleonic Naval - The Battle of Trafalgar or: 'Trafalgarage'

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default 1:1200 Napoleonic Naval - The Battle of Trafalgar or: 'Trafalgarage'

Just saw this link on The Miniatures Page. Four hours to complete the battle sounds very appealing? Enjoy!

http://analogue-hobbies.blogspot.com...falgarage.html

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

Looks like great fun. Moving one foot at a time is actually to scale. If Nelsons ships of the time made 10 to 12 knots an hour, that translates to 8 or 900 feet per minute and a three inch long ship was about 250 feet long in real life, the ship should move around 4 times it's length in one minute, or about a foot per turn if a turn lasts 1 or two minutes. Four hours is about how long the battle lasted in real life. Great job. Thanks for the link.

Although the wind during the battle was very light and they'd be hard pressed to make 5 kts. The concepts are interesting especially to reduce record keeping and streamline the game. I was put off by the grease stained concrete floor though! I have these fleets in 1/2400 scale which works on the table.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Neat story. Thanks for sharing Jim. A blue floor would have been pretty cool. In the end, the players had a good time.

Makes me want to pull out a hex-and-chit game to run a larger battle. It's been a long time since I have played one.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Kenneth

At five knots, it's still about the right scale distance to sail if each turn represents 2 to 3 minutes in real time.