Thread: This date, 1814

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Actually, David, it was VP Cheney, not the late General Schwarzkopf.
    Its generally attributed to the General. Dick probably pinched it

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au...hwarzkopf.html

Being a polly he would have been hard pressed to come up with anything as witty as the good general

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    As far as the populace went, such statements had short-term effect at best.....
    maybe its a military thing, still seems pretty comonplace there.

Oh, and on TMP :)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post

Oh, and on TMP :)
    I think, this too, exemplifies the disconnect between those who are engaged in some fashion with military history and the general populace. I have noticed that individuals who play wargames or read military history are a different breed than most. It seems such players are more aware, have stronger opinions, and are not swayed as easily, i.e. they hold a given opinion longer - this does not mean their opinions are correct. In the U.S., I venture to guess, such individuals are a very small minority or subculture. I fear the proliferation of reality television shows is an indication of many American conversations - much ado about nothing. This might not be, though, solely an American phenomenon.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Most of the mil-folk I know have long memories, and are not the sort to forget when "the Allies turned away".

Hell, when Toyota decided to enter NASCAR's Cup level, I saw signs invoking Pearl Harbor....

Me? I'm of Celtic stock -- we did not invent vendetta; we *perfected* it. ;)

It came to the fore during the run up to GW2 when the French decided not to join the party. That was the point where "cheese eating surrender monkeys" became a popular nickname, the US went all out for "freedom fries" and "Stornin' Norman" quipped "going to war without the French is like going duck hunting without your accordion"
    The irony is that "French Fries" are not really French at all, but Belgian!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    The irony is that "French Fries" are not really French at all, but Belgian!
    As is Hercule Poirot.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

We English have a lengthy history of war against our neighbouring euro countries.
    Having beaten most of them more than once, we tend to mock them in our comedy, probably too much.
    This does help to make a lot of folk happier about Englands status in the world.
    Our poor performance in many popular sports tends to lend itself to overt mocking of the old enemies.
    You in the US never cease to impress me with your mixed fanbase crowds at sports events, in europe this would result in blood shed on a small war scale!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Popsical View Post
    You in the US never cease to impress me with your mixed fanbase crowds at sports events, in europe this would result in blood shed on a small war scale!
    Not sure how accurate it is, but the best explanation I've heard for this is: "Americans have Europe's example to work from as to why doing so is a REALLY BAD IDEA, and so do not do it".

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

An example would be in "soccer" , portsmouth fc were to play southampton with mixed crowds, the police would have to call on the royal marines to quell the violence!
    There is only 20 odd miles between the two cities and no wars have been fought between them.
    Its a similar story across europe.
    The french arent universally loved across europe either, many countries remember old boney.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

What's that old saying? "I went to a riot and a football game broke out..."? :p

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

You've never been to Philadelphia, the city of "brotherly love".

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or South-Central or East LA, or Chicago after Basketball Season... LOL

Or Seattle, whenever there's something big like WTO in town.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

or Chicago after Basketball Season
    That was an embarrassment. Any excuse to behave poorly, I guess.

At least Packers fans need not worry coming to Soldiers Field. Philly seems to be another matter.

What's that old saying? "I went to a riot and a football game broke out..."? :p
    Clever derivation on the original; "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out".

Actually in US soccer we do have away supporters sections, although not to the extent as in the UK. I went to an Arsenal game and the police encircled the section. Of course once one got down to the tube stops the fans were completely mixed!

We do have extra security for rivalry matches like when the New York Red Bulls come to town!

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Not sure how accurate it is, but the best explanation I've heard for this is: "Americans have Europe's example to work from as to why doing so is a REALLY BAD IDEA, and so do not do it".
    Given the occasional beating or death of a football (American version) fan maybe it is a good idea!

Hey I resemble that remark!! Philly fans may boo their own teams or verbally joust with away fans, but you don't hear of someone getting beaten to death as in LA. I often see fans with New York Rangers, Boston Bruins or NJ Devils jerseys at hockey game mingling with Flyers fans. My brother is a Giants fan and will go to games in Philly.

At Union games the choicest remarks from the supporters are reserved for the refs! I am sure everyone will be on their best behavior tonight for the US Open Cup final when we beat Seattle!! Go the U!

If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms.

Mike Ditka

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

And this is why I love auto racing -- apart from the a**clowns in the infield at Talladega ("The unshaven armpit of NASCAR"), and that imbecile who showed up to an event wearing a "No N*****s In NASCAR" shirt, the fans are well-behaved. Best example: There was an outbreak of idiots showing displeasure over races ending under caution by throwing things onto the track. At Pocono, some bozo nailed the flagman in the back of the head with a cooler; the cops had no problem finding him, as everyone around him was pointing at him, and several people were making sure he couldn't leave....

Midshipman
    England

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

I went to see panathaniakos versus olympiakos in athens, you guys dont know what team hatred is all about till you see these kid of matches first hand!
    Personally i dont get it at all, but a small portion of "fans" seem to get a real kick from a ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms.

Mike Ditka
    Then why call it "football" when alas very little action involves using the foot to contact the ball, which quite more resembles an egg than a real ball.