Thread: How much is too much? - rigging

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Default How much is too much? - rigging

So I'm rigging the HMS Defence right now.
    I have almost all the standing rigging done (ratlines are there too).

I'm planning to start on the running rigging. I plan to do the lines that go from the sail to the next mask and then the ones that hold up the spar. Is this too much? Would it make the ship look too crowded?
    With the small scale I can see this happening especially since the thread width may be it too scale (-~".4mm = 40cm at scale.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

Maybe take a look at Juliáns work.
    There you can see how he is adding running rig.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Model...=page_internal

I think he has the perfect balance for rigging this small models.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

If you don't have the Langton book on rigging of Napoleonic ships I highly recommend you pick it up. Failing that you could look at Rory's step by step guide to rigging. It used to be here, but has never been restored after the big hack months back. Vol has linked the various parts on his blog: http://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/2...-guide-to.html

If you're rigging US or British ships be sure you get the mizzen mast rigging correct. All other nations rigged the mizzen mast running rigging differently than the British and US.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Darren

Okay looks like what I'm going to do.
    Another question. The lines that go from the spars/sail to the previous mast are they suppose to be taunt or loose(sagging like in the picture)?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

As far i know the black lines are standing rig, this should be taunt.
    The brighter ( ocre ) lines are running rig, this should be loose ( Julián did it like this ), but he told me that he use superglue to make them stiff so they can't change their position he set them ( seems a bit difficult ).

I would also recommend Langton's book.

Standing rigging should be as tight as feasible. I should help provide stability and strength to the masts (as in the real ships).

The running rigging would actually be in a variety of positions from taunt to loose depending on what tack the ship was on, but for our scale here that's probably not practical or necessary. I think if you add just a part of the running rigging you have a good look on the table without it being too crowded (or time consuming to rig!)

Eric