Thread: NELSON ILLUSTRATION

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Default NELSON ILLUSTRATION

Ares has posted an illustration of Horatio Nelson on their Facebook page that will be used with the HMS Victory Captain Cards.

https://www.facebook.com/SailsOfGlory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Paul for the link. I wish we'd get something a bit more tangible from Ares, but information lately has been really sparse.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Do we know anything about how the Captain cards will be used, please?

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Jörg

There is a ruleset for captaim cards on the SGN site from Ares Games:

http://www.aresgames.eu/11275

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

My guess is, it'll probably be like the Capt/Crew Deck and the WGF Aces deck, but probably with some abilities only available when you play the Nelson card. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine... though it seems logical to leverage existing concepts and mechanics when possible.

This isn't me dodging because of an NDA--IF I knew I'd say I was under NDA, but I'd also let you know if I thought what was being worked up had potential or not as I have with Wave 3; I'm as stuck throwing darts at the board and reading tea leaves as everyone else here, but the fact that they're trying to add options so Special Pack ships can gain a flavor reflecting their most famous commanders says something to me. :)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I wonder if the card would provide abilities to influence other ships in Nelson's vicinity - something to reflect a higher level of command.

Admiral cards could be an interesting addition to the solo rules.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I seem to recall having suggested it, but really I don't recommend holding breath on ANYTHING right now. Even the Testflight playtest group is dead, so no data's trickling out... and for Wave 2, I can't speak for David but I only saw the stats when miniatures entered my hands.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

DB, you seem a bit frustrated, my Friend. I can't help but think that Ares is a bit stretched right now with various product lines, and possibly with GD having greater market potential, it could be consuming the lion's share.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

One of Nelsons special ability could be:

"Concentrate enemy musket fire on yourselfs"

(May cancel two crew damage token during the musket fire phase.)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    DB, you seem a bit frustrated, my Friend. I can't help but think that Ares is a bit stretched right now with various product lines, and possibly with GD having greater market potential, it could be consuming the lion's share.
    It would make sense that Ares has to pick and choose only a few products to focus on at any given time because they are so small. GD has to be their big baby now with the success of multiple KS productions, but they're also pushing the new board game for GenCon; The Battle of Five Armies. And there's some other dinosaur chase game they've got in the works?

Also, I have to wonder how badly the Wave 2 damaged ships issue has impacted their finances and overall interest in the SoG IP?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    It would make sense that Ares has to pick and choose only a few products to focus on at any given time because they are so small. GD has to be their big baby now with the success of multiple KS productions, but they're also pushing the new board game for GenCon; The Battle of Five Armies. And there's some other dinosaur chase game they've got in the works?

Also, I have to wonder how badly the Wave 2 damaged ships issue has impacted their finances and overall interest in the SoG IP?
    Not to mention WGF and WGS new releases and repaints. Although SOG seems to be well received, the profit/cost ratio may not be as good as with the games mentioned.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Not to mention WGF and WGS new releases and repaints. Although SOG seems to be well received, the profit/cost ratio may not be as good as with the games mentioned.
    Very true and if they ever had a fan base that want's more, more and more this is it. Interestingly enough, their new bombers have retail prices that are going to jump way past anything they have in SGN right now. $34.99 msrp ($24.99 on Anchoarage) is lot for one plane, although it's a big one. Profit/cost may be impacting the planes also?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Veering off topic I am looking forward to getting a copy of The Battle of Five Armies. Of course the Victory and Constitution are almost on the horizon. I am a little excited about V/C too but those are still far enough away to merit slight interest until further updates.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Paul, I pre-ordered The Battle of Five Armies. When we both have the game in-hand, we'll have to kibitz.

I am using the LotR as a text in an ethics course this semester, so I will be in a Tolkien mindset.