Thread: R.F.P-T: *Really* Simple Die-Based Damage Rules

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default R.F.P-T: *Really* Simple Die-Based Damage Rules

1) Roll 1d10; if roll is equal to or lower than firepower value, inflict that many hits on target's hull. At close range, double damage.
    2) If enough damage is inflicted to fill a damage box (hits = Burden), inflict a critical hit, based on whatever the unmodified die-roll which caused the critical was:

1 -- Crew; remove one add'l Crew Box.
    2 -- Sail; normal effect
    3 -- Mast; normal effect
    4 -- Rudder; normal effect
    5 -- Fire; normal effect
    6 -- Leak; normal effect
    7+ -- no critical inflicted (the target's in enough trouble already).

If more than one box is crossed off by a single hit, apply multiple instances of the critical (following normal rules for doing so).

Aiming High, or using chain/grape ammo: Apply damage to Crew boxes; ignore any Critical result of 4+.

Raking: Double damage (yes, a close-range rake does *four times* normal damage!).

Musket fire: As for regular damage.

Boarding: Each ship rolls d10s equal to Burden, alternating as per normal rules; damage goes to Crew boxes.

Did I miss anything important? :)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Chris, something *I* missed in prelim: my understanding is aiming high and chainshot were mainly for shredding rigging, sails and masts more than turning crew into chum. "Kill their mobility and they can't go anywhere, they Ain't Getting Back to Land without a tow and they have to strike to get it" kinda thinking, I'd guess.

Then again, ship damage and structure can be counterintuitive: building the hull takes the most manual labor and lumber, but each single section of mast requires an intact and solid tree trunk to produce.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Chris, something *I* missed in prelim: my understanding is aiming high and chainshot were mainly for shredding rigging, sails and masts more than turning crew into chum. "Kill their mobility and they can't go anywhere, they Ain't Getting Back to Land without a tow and they have to strike to get it" kinda thinking, I'd guess.
    True; but then, how many of the crew were up in the rigging during battle...