Thread: GenCon 2014!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Default GenCon 2014!

GenCon is next week! For those attending, Ralf (Uthoroc) and I will be in the Profantasy Software/Pelgrane Press Booth #101 in the exhibit hall. I hope everyone will stop by and say hello!

Hope to See Some of You!

Tommy Z

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Will definitely stop by at some point. GenCon is going to be huge this year!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It looks like we will miss GenCon this year. I think if we're going to go, we need to plan well ahead of time.

Jim, you have our number. If anything happens on the road, don't hesitate to call.

For all of you attending, I hope you have a safe and very fun time.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Ann

The opening day of GenCon (Thursday Aug 14) will feature a 10 am event sponsored by Ares called Sails of Glory - Record Breaker. This is the event description: "We're going for the record for most players in a Sails of Glory game. Players receive a frigate to keep as part of the entry. Prizes for the highest number of enemy kills." I am signed up and looking forward to it. I usually play in the Saturday morning Wings of Glory mega-game at GenCon and will again this year. Perhaps I will see someone from the forum there!

P.S. There appear to be three tickets left (as of Aug 8). Tickets are $14 each, and that includes the frigate that you can keep after you sail it in the game for 2 hours. Hurry, hurry!
    Last edited by Misdomingo; 08-08-2014 at 19:30.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    It looks like we will miss GenCon this year. I think if we're going to go, we need to plan well ahead of time.

Jim, you have our number. If anything happens on the road, don't hesitate to call.

For all of you attending, I hope you have a safe and very fun time.
    Thanks Eric. I wish you and Susan could make it this year? Maybe next year, but I know you're already planning for Origins.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Misdomingo View Post
    The opening day of GenCon (Thursday Aug 14) will feature a 10 am event sponsored by Ares called Sails of Glory - Record Breaker. This is the event description: "We're going for the record for most players in a Sails of Glory game. Players receive a frigate to keep as part of the entry. Prizes for the highest number of enemy kills." I am signed up and looking forward to it. I usually play in the Saturday morning Wings of Glory mega-game at GenCon and will again this year. Perhaps I will see someone from the forum there!

P.S. There appear to be three tickets left (as of Aug 8). Tickets are $14 each, and that includes the frigate that you can keep after you sail it in the game for 2 hours. Hurry, hurry!
    I've got my ticket for the SoG event! Not sure if we'll see others as it overlaps with the first opening of the Dealers Hall? I don't think I'll make the Saturday WoG event. I did it last year at it was great fun. I expect it's sold out by now in any case.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Unfortunately I have even less time to play at GenCon than I do at Origins. We really are unable to get away during exhibit hall hours.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Misdomingo View Post

Best wishes for a victorious cruise. :cannon boom:

This is one event in which I would have liked to participate.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Best wishes for a victorious cruise. :cannon boom:

This is one event in which I would have liked to participate.
    Ditto--problem would be the same as I always have on "Miniatures Provided For You," duplication with my own collection. I actually schlepped all then-4000 (IIRC; last time I went to GenCon or flew anywhere period was 2010) minis in my War at Sea collection back to GenCon last time so I wouldn't have to open the ones I drew, knowing that I would be getting mostly duplicates and most WAS traders are snobs about "mint in sealed bag."

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Z View Post
    Unfortunately I have even less time to play at GenCon than I do at Origins. We really are unable to get away during exhibit hall hours.
    Just like every year, Tommy. I'm guessing Ralf will face the same problem?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

I'm doing the event primarily to have fun, with no real interest or intent on surviving to the end. I wonder if we'll get a Wave 2 frigate of Wave 1 item? I wont turn down a duplicate medium frigate at all. :)

Right now I'm more concerned I get a slew of good photos to share here or with the Ares team.

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I'm doing the event primarily to have fun, with no real interest or intent on surviving to the end. I wonder if we'll get a Wave 2 frigate of Wave 1 item? I wont turn down a duplicate medium frigate at all. :)

Right now I'm more concerned I get a slew of good photos to share here or with the Ares team.
    You should sneak one of your pirates on the table.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

You should sneak one of your pirates on the table.
    The thought had crossed my mind?

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

What sort of exhibit are you running? If possible; Run games there. :)

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    What sort of exhibit are you running? If possible; Run games there. :)
    Ralf is the General Manager & I am a booth-monkey for Profantasy Software. www.profantasy.com

I am taking ships with me & we plan on getting some games in during our off time!

Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    The thought had crossed my mind?
    I would love to see the Ares' folks faces if you did. Who knows, but it could ignite some fire.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Or get him expelled from the tourney for non-regulation figures... I remember a War at Sea tourney where I had a custom-corrected version of a ship where WOTC did a Bloody Balls-Up on the paint job and somebody tried to call me on it... this was a ship sculpt they only used ONCE, and it was resolved in my favor after I showed both the no-changes stat card and my documentation about carrier paint. Kicked the guy's Munchkin ass real good in that round for wasting my time, IIRC...

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Ralf is the General Manager & I am a booth-monkey for Profantasy Software. www.profantasy.com

I am taking ships with me & we plan on getting some games in during our off time!
    Find a way to integrate _SoG_ with your product; everybody benefits.... >;)