Thread: AAR Galleon vs French frigates...sad tale...

Default AAR Galleon vs French frigates...sad tale...

With high hopes and little ability, the two frigates under Lt Drouot (Deft commander) in Courageuse and Cpt Hoche in Le Succes set sail from port (where they had been trapped for the previous six months) to take on the Galleon Bellerophon. Neither had been to sea before..and it showed...

Name:  2014-07-06 13.26.45 (640x480).jpg
Views: 533
Size:  202.8 KB

I could bore you with the fine ship handling, the superior gunnery the magnificient elan demonstrated by both ships' crews, but it would all be a chimera , a sad distortion of the horrible reality.

Poor shooting, zeroes in abundance, poor sailing, collisions and taken aback at all the wrong moments, it's a sad sad tale I force myself to relate.

Things started well
    Name:  2014-07-06 15.12.23 (640x480).jpg
Views: 473
Size:  231.9 KB
    Hmm this looked promising
    Name:  2014-07-06 15.47.24 (640x480) (2).jpg
Views: 492
Size:  242.8 KB
    Courageuse is slammed
    Name:  2014-07-06 15.50.49 (640x480).jpg
Views: 463
Size:  226.7 KB

The galleon takes damage but not enough, Le Succes cant get into the action
    Name:  2014-07-06 15.53.26.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  126.7 KB

And now Le Succes takes the hits

Name:  2014-07-06 17.52.36.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  112.8 KB

denouement

Name:  2014-07-06 18.03.31.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  211.1 KB

Cpt Hoche is wounded (1 month) his ship surrenders!

Lt Drouot bravely fights on but cant hit a barn
    Name:  2014-07-06 18.36.30.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  201.0 KB

On a bleak and terrible day a small glint of light as Lt Drouot manages to move upwind of Bellophon and works back towards the stricken Le Succes recapturing it and the two sail off back to France in ignominy.

Heads may roll....

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thank you for a great AAR. I'm sorry that you were not able to achieve a fitting victory for the French (their victories have been quite glorious as of late). Great photos and I really like the idea of the captain nameplates!! Well done!

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Matthias

Funny written report but bad luck for your captains.
    I can see the court martial yet.

Thanks for sharing

Very interesting to see a game what went the other way! Thanks for the report.

Seems the game imitated the plight of French in actual history.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Poor Frenchies...

Les Miserables indeed

French Captains found guilty of failure due to lack of revolutionary zeal! Vive la France! Vive la revolution!

Name:  execution_of_robespierre_wallpaper_c60t.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  248.3 KB
    Last edited by Coog; 08-01-2014 at 22:48.

Well I think that's a picture of the execution of Robespierre and his cohorts but point taken Bobby (or perhaps blade rather than point).

The Convention ordered the arrest of Robespierre, his brother Augustin, Couthon, Saint-Just, François Hanriot, and Le Bas. Troops from the Commune, under General Coffinhal, arrived to free the prisoners and then marched against the Convention itself. The Convention responded by ordering troops of its own under Barras to be called out. When the Commune's troops heard the news of this, order began to break down, and Hanriot ordered his remaining troops to withdraw to the Hôtel de Ville, where Robespierre and his supporters also gathered. The Convention declared them to be outlaws, meaning that upon verification the fugitives could be executed within twenty-four hours without a trial. As the night went on, the forces of the Commune deserted the Hôtel de Ville and, at around two in the morning, those of the Convention under the command of Barras arrived there. In order to avoid capture, Augustin Robespierre threw himself out of a window, only to break both of his legs; Couthon was found lying at the bottom of a staircase; Le Bas committed suicide; and another radical shot himself in the head.

Robespierre tried to kill himself with a pistol but managed only to shatter his lower jaw (see figure in foreground of picture with bandage around jaw)

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, well I still think getting a Gatling sent back around 75 years before their invention and uncorked on BOTH sides woulda made the world a better place. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of the French monarchy either...)

"The only appropriate actions when your enemies fight are ROOT FOR INJURIES and PASS THE POPCORN. Maybe when one starts to lose, throw them just enough to keep whittling the other side down--then sweep both away like crushed gravel."

Just read Ralf's AAR and I realised I had completely forgotten about musket fire by either side in my game Well it was my first run through and solo too...

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Berthier View Post
    Just read Ralf's AAR and I realised I had completely forgotten about musket fire by either side in my game Well it was my first run through and solo too...
    Wow! That's unfortunate, Daniel. Musket fire was clearly a deciding factor in my game if I remember correctly. Another good reason we're testing the solo campaign to start next year.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Alfonso

And just when I was thinking I'd give up on sharing my AAR with you. Frankly, it was disastrous and not really from a navigational point of view, but my frigates had all the bad luck in the world, one catching fire twice, the other one with two broken masts taken aback and with this random red card picking, ending up out of the map... A shame! I will replay this week and post both versions if I can somehow take revenge in the next session
    Last edited by Poncho Latour; 08-04-2014 at 12:44.

Unlucky outcome, Daniel.

This treasure ship teached you a lesson. (I nearly lost the battle, too.)

Anyways a well presented AAR, comrade.

For cutting the heads of the French captains...

Do you play Revolutionary French or Napoleonic French. This would be a big difference.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's the trouble with 74s vs Frigates. They only need to get a head start, and you never catch up on the Fire Power.
    Rob.