Thread: Med Campaign

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Default Med Campaign

My group and I are going to start a Med camaign using the old 6th fleet map. If anyone has any suggestions or rrules ideas I'd be more than wiing to hear them please. Especialy when it comes to repair, move, etc...

Thanks ALL!

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Are you referring to the Victory Games 6th Fleet map? If so, will you be using the map to plot cruises, and then switch to the minis when coming into contact?

I'm not clear on your plan.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Yes. We are going to play strategically on the map and when contact is made fighting it out with the minis.

There was another 6th fleet game by SPI in their magazine S&T 48. Bigger scale alternative maybe.

Sixth fleet by Victory Games for comparison, note this stretches to Gibralter and is thus probably more useful

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

I only have the victory games version, so that's what we will be using.

I'm not sure what period your campaign takes place or what nations will be represented in your campaign. The map would have to have Gibraltar and Spain with the entrance to the Mediterranean. Gibraltar was a key port for the British and was a stop for American ships before the War of 1812. I would prefer to use a map with larger sea zones for a type of strategic movement instead of hexes. Ships would change sea zones or go to port for repair, supply, or to escape enemy ships during strategic moves. Enemy ships within the same sea zone either would become involved or have the possibly of becoming involved in combat. Ships in a port or blockading a port would not become involved in combat in a sea zone unless they were being specifically attacked. Otherwise ships could pass through the zone freely unless there were other ships patrolling at sea. Ships in port would have to fight their way out or run the blockade. There are many maps of the Mediterranean on the net you could print out or if you prefer get a wall size map. You could then create your own sea zones. Just some thoughts.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

The larger the zone, the lower the probability of sighting. I suggest using a d10 mechanism for determining sighting. You could have modifiers based on intelligence, weather, e.g. if a ship or squadron is actively looking for enemy presence in a given area because of xyz, add 2 to the dice roll; if weather is foggy, subtract 1 from the dice roll.

What is the time duration of the campaign? The more we know what you envision, the more direct our input can be.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have a campaign system that might have some useful stuff in it that you could use. Drop me a PM with your email address if you'd like me to send you a copy

I'm curious about the Mediterranean Campaign that won a special prize in the scenario contest. I hope Ares will release it soon

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

It should be out next month and includes a chart of the Med - any questions just get back to me particularly as I wrote it.

My local club has just started the campaign (around 20 players) and are at the planning stage. I hope you will find, as we have, those sloops and small frigates have suddenly become all important.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    I'm curious about the Mediterranean Campaign that won a special prize in the scenario contest. I hope Ares will release it soon

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Ruston View Post
    It should be out next month and includes a chart of the Med - any questions just get back to me particularly as I wrote it.

My local club has just started the campaign (around 20 players) and are at the planning stage. I hope you will find, as we have, those sloops and small frigates have suddenly become all important.
    Very much looking forward to this. Is the release date correct? We could just hold off until then. Any inkling what it will be like?

Thanks!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by CSherrange View Post
    Very much looking forward to this. Is the release date correct? We could just hold off until then. Any inkling what it will be like?

Thanks!
    It was due this month but I understand extra artwork is being done at the moment. If it is not out in time for your start time let me know and I can probably send a PDF albeit not as pretty as the Ares version.

There is a mechanism for creating merchant ships for troop movement as it is based on the campaign leading up to the battle of the Nile with each side having the objective of taking and holding 2 ports. The system allows for both a nations victory and individual commanders victory with prize money for capturing ships etc. So in brief the game has two phases, the admirals game on the chart and as a consequence of this individual ship games in shared sea areas.

Any way, have a look when its published and if it fits the bill for you enjoy the game.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by fredmiracle View Post
    Just spoken to Ares and their editor should be working on publishing the scenarios next week, or possibly the week after.

Safe sailing.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Charles

Literally cannot wait for this to happen.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tim

Any word on the release date?

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
    Any word on the release date?
    Sorry Chaps, still no word from Ares other than their art director was working on it (this a couple of weeks ago) and expected to publish the scenarios then. I'm waiting to see how they have produced the campaign charts so we can start ours at the end of the month though we are fortunate in that we can probably crack on with what we have.

If I hear anything I'll add to this post.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Tim

Thanks, looking foreword to it.