Thread: What do ya do with a Wizkids sailor (earli in the mornin')?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eris

Default What do ya do with a Wizkids sailor (earli in the mornin')?

(FYI, the thread's title is sung to the tune of "What do you do with a drunken sailor," which I expect is part of the song repertoire of everybody on this board. )

I was digging in the boxes of games in my basement, and I found a buried treasure consisting of two respectively sized boxes full of unpunched Wizkids "Pirates of the Spanish Main" stuff. For those of you not familiar, Wizkids put out about a half dozen series of collectable card packs centered around warfare on the seas during the golden age of piracy. Imprinted on the cards were game pieces to punch out and put together to create three-dimensional sailing ships, coastal batteries, and sea monsters. Other cards had terrain features, gold coins or two-dimensional squares representing special characters that could affect gameplay. Some of the ships were historical, but I believe most were fictional. Along with the standard ships, representing the fleets of Spain, England, France and other countries, there were also plenty of pirate ships, including "ghost" pirate ships full of undead crews.

(By the way, if anybody is interested in picking up some for yourself, they often pop up on EBay for cheap.)

The cards were great, but my friends and I found gameplay to be less than riveting, and so a lot of the cards wound up being packed away. Until now, that is ...

Has anybody thought up ways to use the Wizkids cards with Sails of Glory? It seems like too good of a combination to waste. Here are points to consider:

The ships: The good thing is they're pretty much the same scale as the ships in "Sails of Glory," and additional ship mats are cheap. The problem, however, is figuring out (and creating) damage charts, and getting appropriate maneuver decks. (I haven't seen any place where you can purchase maneuver decks by themselves, but I might be missing something. Are we allowed to create custom maneuver decks and post them here, as long as we don't duplicate existing decks?)

The sea monsters: The fact that there aren't any existing rules for sea monsters is both good and bad, in that we need to develop all the rules ourselves, but we're not held back by anything already in place.

The batteries: Pretty much the existing rules could be used for them, perhaps with a little tweaking.

The characters: We'd just need to put together a listing of skills and point values associated with them. Many of the characters are generic (musketeer, captain, etc.), but others are unique. This could be a lot of fun, particularly with the unique ones, and bring in some roleplaying to the game.

The terrain: Most of it could be used as with existing rules, but there's some new terrain as well that could be interesting to play with, such as whirlpools.

The gold pieces: I'm not sure what to do with them yet, but maybe they could be a nice marker of some sort.

As you can tell, I'm just starting to think about all this, and I'm wondering if anybody else has considered it as well. I'm hoping we can all have some fun using our imaginations and putting together something sweet! And, really, don't you wonder how that British ship of the line you're so proud of would handle a gigantic winged serpent that suddenly arose before it with a hungry look in its eyes?

Take care, and see you on the seas!

-- Eris

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Hey Eris. Check out this thread. Unfortunately the photos that had been posted are gone due to a site hack some months ago. Enjoy and thanks for the 'song'.

http://sailsofglory.org/showthread.p...g-large-images

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I have used them in two con games as merchant ships. The goal for one side was to capture/sink as many as possible, with different points respectively. The goal for the other side was to exit as many merchants as possible off the other side. The ships were nice because they were readily identifiable, especially when a larger group is playing. I think it worked well both times.

They could be good ships to have in port - again, board or sink as many as possible. Something like this could incorporate shore batteries, a bay, etc.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato