Thread: Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Default Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain

Name:  Pellew Book.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  10.1 KB

Book Title:
    Commander: The Life and Exploits of Britain's Greatest Frigate Captain
    Author:
    Stephen Taylor
    ISBN:
    978-0393071641
    Category:
    Biography
    Format:
    Multiple
    Summary:
    Before you go any further I feel I should let anyone that opens this thread know that I read this book a few months ago so I apologize if I have any small errors. I did use Wikipedia to get some of the dates and some of the ship specific information.

I'll first start by saying my fascination with this historical figure started the first time I watched the A&E series of Horatio Hornblower. This was also the series that whetted my appetite for other films and then books (fiction and non-fiction) on the topic of naval history. While I know the Royal Navy had other ace frigate captains, Admiral Edward Pellew (1st Viscount Exmouth, Knight Grand Cross of the order of Bath) was certainly at the top.

One of the many things I enjoyed about this book, was you can clearly see the influence his career and exploits had on the writings of Patrik O'Brian, and C. S. Forester. In his early career he truly was how O'Brian portrays Jack Aubrey in the Sophie. Pellew was truly a lead by example man. He embodied a brother in arms mentality where he would not ask any man on his ship to do something he himself would not also do. He led by example rather than by fear of the cat. There were a few occasions where he even jumped off the quarter deck to save men who had fallen overboard (among other selfless things I don't think some Captains would have done). So you can understand how he quickly gained the admiration and absolute loyalty of most of the men that served with him.

His most notable actions were the capture of the 36 gun Cléopâtre 1793 (which got him knighted) with the 36 gun Nymphe, and the running aground of the 74 gun Droits de l'Homme while in command of the 40 gun Indefatigable(with the assistance and loss the HMS Amazon – also ran aground). There is also a recounting of the bombardment of Algiers. If I recall correctly there is an image of the actual map Pellew used to plan the bombardment complete with a wine stain that happened during the planning in his cabin. I also think this was the first time he had bomb ketches under his command....the account of this action in the book is pretty fantastic, no spoilers here. There is also an area in the book that covers his time in the Americas and some actions on Lake Champlain when I believe he was a midshipman. It was pretty crazy to read about them breaking boats down and hauling the parts through the woods and then reassembling them on Lake Champlain. This book truly has some fantastic moments.

The book also delved into his personal life and his affairs on shore. This revolves around his wife and children and the typical things you would imagine that make this historical figure a more rounded individual. I will say that as far as a biography goes it is the most entertaining one I have read to date. His life and career were all the more interesting since he essentially started out as an orphaned boy and rose to be a Commander-in-Chief. One of the more personally memorable areas was when the author brakes down and converts the prize money he gained while he was Commander-in-Chief of the East Indies Station.....I know the Admiral got a nice share of each prize taken under his command, but I never fully understood just how much money that could be....jaw dropping to say the least. I intentionally wanted to make this review a little vague but descriptive enough to pique anyone’s interest into picking it up. I am almost sure if you open the cover you will find it to be a pretty good page turner.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 07-13-2014 at 00:07.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Marc, I think we've got it.

Thanks again for posting this review. I look forward to reading the book.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

It is really a book I need to add to my shelf (it was a loaner from my Dad). One I see wanting to page back through in the future. I am trying to get through my most recent O'Brian book so I can start the other book I recently got from my Dad on Nelson.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just read this book.
    It is everything you said and more Marc.
    What a film that would make!
    Thanks for drawing my attention to it.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jerome

Default Book order

I have placed the book on my next order to Amazon. I look forward to reading the exploits of Pellew.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a feeling that you wont be disappointed Jerome.
    It has a wealth of incident just waiting to be turned into a scenario.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just after answering this I got a mail from Amazon with this one which I think may be a good companion to Pellew.

Name:  51+S8vcieXL._SX310_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  37.3 KB

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Christopher

Bam! ordered. I will have this in time for some nice vacation reading, looks great.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You will enjoy it Chris it is superb reading.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.