Thread: Langton and Ares Frigates

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Michael

Default Langton and Ares Frigates

In my opinion, in terms of scale, the 1:1200 models produced by Rod Langton are reasonably compatible with Ares 1:1000 model. For comparison I used a Langton 36-gun frigate and a Concorde Class 34 gun frigate. Mounted on similar bases they should be interchangeable, allowing games of Close Action and Sails of Glory with either, or and both ranges.

Name:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  145.2 KB
    Last edited by mdavis41; 07-09-2014 at 19:51.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

For SoG, given that so much depends upon the base, I imagine any relatively close ship scale could work. I admit that I am not a modeler, and once the game starts, I am usually too focused on figuring out what to do that I probably wouldn't notice, i.e. my standards are not too high at present. Depending upon what Ares produces, using other ships might be the only way to incorporate given ships or navies.

Interestingly, though, I probably would notice if we were playing with WWII infantry and armor minis. That might be because I am more familiar with the given tanks, etc., and the games I have played used the actual minis as opposed to a base for determining things. It might also be because the individual units are of a much larger scale, so scale differences might be more noticeable.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    For SoG, given that so much depends upon the base, I imagine any relatively close ship scale could work. I admit that I am not a modeler, and once the game starts, I am usually too focused on figuring out what to do that I probably wouldn't notice, i.e. my standards are not too high at present. Depending upon what Ares produces, using other ships might be the only way to incorporate given ships or navies.

Interestingly, though, I probably would notice if we were playing with WWII infantry and armor minis. That might be because I am more familiar with the given tanks, etc., and the games I have played used the actual minis as opposed to a base for determining things. It might also be because the individual units are of a much larger scale, so scale differences might be more noticeable.
    I've been playing quite a few solo games lately and I agree that my mind quickly focuses on the maneuver cards and the wind attitude. While I greatly enjoy the ships, they're taking a back seat to the game itself (movement, wind, range, damage, etc.).

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I started storing my WoG planes in new containers - an attempt to save room, make the planes more accessible, and provide ease of travel. Doing so provided an opportunity to give each plane a close look, and they are lovely. I think when I run games, I need to make some time beforehand and afterwards to encourage people to take a good look at the sculpts.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato