Thread: Manned yard-arms

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Default Manned yard-arms

I had an idea and thought it would be fun to add sailors to a ship. This is the frist go at it. I do not think it's too bad. What do you think? She is a Swedish 70 gun 3rd rate 1-1200 scale Langton model

Name:  Rings and manned 003.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  Rings and manned 004.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  164.6 KB

Name:  Rings and manned 005.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  154.3 KB

Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Looks pretty damn good, Rory, especially knowing the scale we're dealing with at 1/1200!! Did you mold the figures using some crafting putty and then paint? Nice!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Marc

Looks good! I'd agree with Jim, for the scale that is pretty impressive!

I really like the Swedish flag! I studied abroad there for 8 months in college...I consider it my home away from home.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

As always, your work is beautiful Rory.

I agree with Jim - it is kind of hard getting my mind around the detail you achieve in that scale.

I really like the colors.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Thanks
    My secret man-power

Name:  Making manned yard-arms 001.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  178.1 KB

They also make great landing-parties. they are left to right, French/European marines, British Marines and 2 blocks of sailors

Name:  Troops and Garden 001.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  98.5 KB

Small and a little hard to paint. But once I have flocked them they look the right scale. I think!
    Be safe
    Rory

Wow. Takes creativity to a whole new level. How did you ever come up with the idea?

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    Wow. Takes creativity to a whole new level. How did you ever come up with the idea?
    I started wargaming in 1965 with Britain's 45mm AWI and ACW toy soldiers. I was always looking for smaller figs. My young heart jumped for joy as Airfix made AWI and Waterloo series. As I goy older I learnt of "Mini-Figs" and started a British army in 25mm. At this time I went to my frist wargame show in London and saw a hair-roller game. they where not painted just red and blue cut into blocks and lines. I loved the size, not understanding scale at the time they where just tiny. I got smaller scales as Mini-Fig's started 15mm troops and I was happy. I'm a hairdresser and lots of my friends use Stohr rollers (I do not). So the idea of using them for troops has always been in my head. I saw some packs of them last month in the hairdressers wholesalers and was doing an "At Anchor" ship and thought I would try to put the two ideas together. As you see above I think it works. I know we have better painter than me around and hope to see some try this and do a better job than me.
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Hair roller armies used to be all the rage in the 70s and 80s. There was an excellent article in one of the very early "Miniature Wargames" about how to make all sorts of different troop types out of them (even cavalry and artillery). I incurred my mum's wrath by raiding her hair roller in on a few occasions. She even had a few really amazing brown wire and fabric jobs that, if pinched, made ideal fascines for my ACW engineers in 20mm.

EDIT - MW Issue 9, article by Andy Callan, which also included a rather nifty set of ACW rules
    Last edited by David Manley; 07-04-2014 at 11:18.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Amazing! Never would have thought of it, but very clever.

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

It maybe your independence's day, but us Brits do have long term and old ideas. You are not called the new world for nothing. I do wish you all on the wrong side of the pond a happy day
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

A fine piece of modelling, Rory!

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Hair roller armies used to be all the rage in the 70s and 80s. There was an excellent article in one of the very early "Miniature Wargames" about how to make all sorts of different troop types out of them (even cavalry and artillery). I incurred my mum's wrath by raiding her hair roller in on a few occasions. She even had a few really amazing brown wire and fabric jobs that, if pinched, made ideal fascines for my ACW engineers in 20mm.

EDIT - MW Issue 9, article by Andy Callan, which also included a rather nifty set of ACW rules
    David,
    Do you have a copy of Andy Callan article. If so could you send me a copy. It would help me as I'm thinking of doing more troops to match my ships.
    Be safe
    Rory

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Rory, yes of course. PM me your email address.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Article is on its way to you now Rory :)

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rory, you just blew my mind a bit.

I think I need to visit my Dad's barbershop. Having been a barber for 60 years, I imagine he has some interesting stuff there.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato