Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: CHANGES YOU THINK ARES/SGN SHOULD MAKE.

Please don't change scale midstream. Stay the course.

And whatever you do, don't cross the streams!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by The Royal Hajj View Post
    Production value/visuals plays a very large part in how well a game is received. Relying on your customer base to provide that production value is not a sound tactic. GW gets away with it because the dump millions into their art/theme departments.
    You also forget their Anal Retentive To Point of "Color Nazi" rules about "To be Tournament Legal, each and every one of your figures MUST be painted to THESE exact specs." Must be real nice when you can get people to PAY you to do the hardest part of manufacturing for you...

2nd Lieutenant
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Although we chatted about them earlier, expanded rules aeent on the list. Things like

Bow and stern chasers
    Mortars
    Boats
    Oared ships
    Landing parties
    Fore and aft rigged ships

Modt of which we have suggestions for and some possible interest from Ares in oicking them up
    Hi All,
    After the manned yard-arms, I made landing-parties. From hair-rollers.

Name:  Landing Parties 002.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  Landing Parties 003.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  199.5 KB

Name:  Landing Parties 006.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  238.9 KB

Hi David,
    The stuff you sent me was very helpful. Alas it was for 5mm troops, So I had a little hack around and made cavalry to match the troops. All work with ships 1-1200 scale and troop size. This would work for 1-1000 ships too. Sorry but the ships boats are Langton's. Thank for the light bulb moment David.

Name:  Cavalry 011.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  209.7 KB

Name:  Cavalry 012.jpg
Views: 2805
Size:  222.9 KB

So one of your wishes can be made for you
    Be safe
    Rory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Rory! Way cool photos and ideas for the landing parties. I wonder if they even sell hair rollers like this locally? Guess I have another item to add to the modding list.

I am interested in diving a bit further into this:

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The movement rules aren't wonderful when it comes to tacking (as one of my friends put it they've managed to remove most of the "feel" and risk of sailing large square riggers with the card system as it is), and the effect of mast damage on the ability to tack is missed completely (another area where I'm playing with some house ruling).
    I know very little about sailing. But it does seem from the fiction (Aubrey, Hornblower, etc.) that there was a lot of subtlety to the sailing tactics, which may be missing here. David or others, what are your thoughts on how to improve this, within the basic parameters of the rules? Are there other game systems that do this well? The few sailing board games that I have vague familiarity with don't seem to be terribly different in spirit, even though they rely on a hex grid--i.e. you get movement points based on your wind facing, and if you have enough points you can wear or tack, etc., with the appropriate effects on your position and speed.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I'm with you on this, I think Ares have done a great job - not perfect but nothing is. I have played a lot of Napoleonic navy games, indeed I have around 120 ships for them, but most rules were either far too detailed and lacked 'game play' and others over simple so SoG for me is a great addition to the hobby.

For those that want more from the game create and use 'house rules' to get the feel you want, I've certainly found the system flexible enough to be adjusted for local need.

Final point, yes there is room for 'quality' add-on's, perhaps Ares or someone else will accommodate this as the system matures.

3-D special damage markers. This could apply to being either 3-D cool looking tokens for the ship mat or cool 3-D markers that go directly on the ship mini or next to it.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Litko's Small Fire tokens might work... Check THESE little beauties out:

http://www.litko.net/products/Small-...s-%287%29.html

I SOOOOOOOO wish somebody'd give me a reason to buy and use one of their Large Nuke Markers... been lusting after that thing like a teenager who has a chance to score with the Prom Queen since it was first announced. LOL

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Litko's Small Fire tokens might work... Check THESE little beauties out:

http://www.litko.net/products/Small-...s-%287%29.html

I SOOOOOOOO wish somebody'd give me a reason to buy and use one of their Large Nuke Markers... been lusting after that thing like a teenager who has a chance to score with the Prom Queen since it was first announced. LOL
    About the only thing that's going to come close in our SoG world is the explosion of the Orient? If the accounts are accurate it was heard all the way to Alexandria, and some of the paintings do look somewhat like mushroom/funnel clouds?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yeah, in War at Sea I built my own B-29 Atomic Bombers JUST to deliver it... never did finish the Stat Card.

Retired Admiral of the Fleet
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Rory, somehow I missed your post. Beautiful work.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Ordinary Seaman
    Poland

Log Entries
    Name
    Christophe

Great job!